Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was not consulted, but I was hit up for cash and since he is a peer in my department I figured I better contribute or be thought of as a cheapskate.

Why the hell do people in offices buy collective gifts for each other anymore? Suggested "donation" was $20. I had $10 in my wallet so I told them to make do with that. Greedy bastids are lucky I was feeling generous.:cryin:

//No, I don't really know you--I'm forced to work with you. Why should I give you money for your baby shower, birthday, retirement, kid's charity, etc.?

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
The first thing you should as yourself is: "Is this good for the Company?". Then make the appropriate response.

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,591 Posts
I stopped contributing to that crap as soon as I realized no one took up a collection to buy ME a wedding/birthday/whatever gift.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I stopped contributing to that crap as soon as I realized no one took up a collection of buy ME a wedding/birthday/whatever gift.
I generally find a way to bow out, but I was blindsided this time. Usually all it takes is to not show up for the "free" cake party.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Just say you don't have any cash on you.

The people at my work did that for my wife and I. We didn't ask, but what the hell. It was a lot of loot. It was a truckload. I felt kind of guilty about it. It helped that my wife and I worked together, and everyone here loves my wife! Some of them like me, too.

A few months later, someone else got married or had a kid or something I can't remember. My wife and I liked them a lot, so we sent them a gift. Then the envelope comes around asking for money for a group gift. I didn't contribute, which got a lot of angry looks.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I hate that crap! Am I supposed to contribute for people I don't even like? I am so happy to be working from home now. All of the people here I know I am required to buy gifts for!

·
This space for sale
783 Posts
I'm glad I work in a smaller company now and don't have to worry about that stuff anymore.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I get sucked into this all the time. It is quite annoying as I work in a large office with many internal customers. Lickily most of the time it is just sign the card but lately it is a donation to someone who you really could care the least about. Buttttttttt due to office politiks if you don't it comes round to bite you in the arse.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
In the past couple years I've given gifts for weddings I've been invited to, but haven't been able to attend. Never received thank you's for ANY of them. Not cool.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Since we have retired no one has hit us up for this kind of nonsense.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Should've reached for your wallet and pulled up the bird.

From there I wouldn't know what to do, but there's a hot start.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
I hate that crap also.... unless they turn around and order some etched glass from me. That hasn't happened yet, so I hate that crap.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Try working in a school. I get asked to buy all of the following....
-commemorative shirts
-bake sale goods
-fund raiser candy
-fund raiser food
-Charity dinners
-secret santa
-scholarship donations
-graduation gifts
-baby showers
-retirement parties
-birthday parties
-etc

Between the kids... my swimmers.. faculty... and parents I'm hit from all angles. However it's slowed down since I never buy anything so people have stopped asking me.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I don't get too much of that where I work now, and I am grateful for it. The last place I worked was the opposite, they asked for cash for EVERYTHING. I think that is an indication that people don't have enough work to do.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
In the past couple years I've given gifts for weddings I've been invited to, but haven't been able to attend. Never received thank you's for ANY of them. Not cool.
Hell, we were invited to my best friends wife's suprise birthday party (whom we both despise). We never got a thank you for her gift either.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't get too much of that where I work now, and I am grateful for it. The last place I worked was the opposite, they asked for cash for EVERYTHING. I think that is an indication that people don't have enough work to do.
There are some people in my office that have a Friday Donut Club where you have to chip in to be a member. There are others that pay for their own water container. Weird f*kkers in corporate amerika I tell ya.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts