Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look like I might try my oven and shop vac! :eek: :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Dave Hickey said:
Even if you buy from them?
I bought them pretty cheap on ebay and the R200 on another on-line vendor.

No shop would order the E size without me paying full price. So I ordered online, E size fits and the LBS'loss the sale.

Hockey in FL? Yes, there are some hockey shops, but they won't have the vac.
 

· Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,573 Posts
For the R300's or the R220's.?
The R300's take much more time. The R220's only have a heat moldable sole.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
For the R300's or the R220's.?
The R300's take much more time. The R220's only have a heat moldable sole.
Both. The R200 has a moldable heel cup and foot bed. Basically same time I am told. The R300 whole upper is moldable. I won't use the insoles either way. I just the heel on the R200 fitted and the R300 uppers only. $50 will cover both shoes.
 

· Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,573 Posts
$50 for two shoes is a reasonable amount.
If you would have bought both shoes from them, I would have expected a lessor amount.

It's like bringing rims, spokes, and hubs into a shop and saying "build 'em.....and can I have a discount"
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
$50 for two shoes is a reasonable amount.
If you would have bought both shoes from them, I would have expected a lessor amount.

It's like bringing rims, spokes, and hubs into a shop and saying "build 'em.....and can I have a discount"
The guy "thinks"they will do 2 shoes for $50. But 100 for 2 shoes or $50 for each is still a lot of money whether I boughty them there or not. They wanted $349.99 for the R300 and $249.99 for the R220.

I paid $220 shipped for the E size I needed (which they would not order unless I paid in full and would not accept a retun if they did not fit.) and like $260 shipped for the R300.

They charge the $50 whether you bought them there or not. It's the owner that does it. So far in a Big City like Miami, they are the only shop that does it. Not every Shimano dealer does I am told. :rolleyes:

I don't ask for discounts at the LBS. They offer, I accept. Even if I bought parts there, which I don't. Just some clothes, tape and the kids helmets.
 

· monkey with flamethrower
Joined
·
821 Posts
$50 seems perfectly reasonable especially if you didn't buy the shoes from them. It takes me about 35-45 minutes to heat fit a pair of ski boots, I would assume that its roughly the same for the shoes. Most shops labor rates are 60-90 dollars an hour for odd things like that so in the end, $50 doesn't seem that bad.
Its not reasonable if they charge you to mold them when you purchased them there. The owner sounds like a total chode if he thinks thats a good business practice. Practices such as that are what give local bike shops a bad name.
If you lived in my neck of the woods Dirt Boy I would gladly mold them for you for the modest price of two 12 packs of high quality beer. But you live in Florida...blah.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rubber Lizard said:
$50 seems perfectly reasonable especially if you didn't buy the shoes from them. It takes me about 35-45 minutes to heat fit a pair of ski boots, I would assume that its roughly the same for the shoes. Most shops labor rates are 60-90 dollars an hour for odd things like that so in the end, $50 doesn't seem that bad.
Its not reasonable if they charge you to mold them when you purchased them there. The owner sounds like a total chode if he thinks thats a good business practice. Practices such as that are what give local bike shops a bad name.
If you lived in my neck of the woods Dirt Boy I would gladly mold them for you for the modest price of two 12 packs of high quality beer. But you live in Florida...blah.
Bobke on VS yesterday said it's 8 min in the oven and 5(?) to mold.

The owner is a nice guy and I know him well. I will just pop in and see what he charges me.

Thaks, are shops around don't work like that. There was a mech at this on shope who would do stuff like that. He fitted me once for lattes for the shop form SB (4 guys.).
 

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
If the bike shop does not work out for you, try a ski shop like Peter Glenns. The boots are now heat moldable and the guys here in Palm Beach are pretty friendly about stuff.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top