Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· More Cowbell
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'07 Orca recently built up. I love the ride but I'm sick of searching for the frame creak that comes up with each pedal revolution under load.

Here is what I've done:

Pulled entire drivetrain, cleaned, greased and re-installed.
Pulled and reinstalled bottom bracket and crankset - twice
Replaced bottom bracket and crankset
Checked, lubed, tightened etc...chainring bolts, pedals, cleats. headset, stem, spokes, dropouts (front and rear), seatpost, saddle, bars, shifters, and skewers.

And finally, I tightened the replaceable der hanger and the dropout insert on the left rear. (screws were actually loose)

It is definitely quieter, so I think I hit the main cause. But I still get some noise - not a lot but more than I think a frame of this caliber should be emitting.

Have I missed something or are these frames inherently noisy?

I haven't replaced the wheelset as it was quiet on another bike but that is about the last thing I can think of.

Thoughts?

55/Rad

· aka Zoo
763 Posts
I don't own one, though I wish I did, but I would try swapping the wheelset, I had the same issue on one of my bikes and after pulling my hair out it ended up being the rear wheel. Still haven't figured out what is wrong with the wheel, just swapped it and the noise is now gone. Good luck finding it though, I'm kind of anal about noises coming from my bikes as well so I know how you feel :p

· Registered
9 Posts
I just drove my LBS nuts with a similar problem. The noise maker turned out to be the cassette lock ring on my rear wheel (SRAM Red cassette) was a little loose. Tightened that up and its been quiet ever since. You might want to try that.

Rick

· Batteries not required
1,118 Posts
Annoying noise here too

rbarrosa said:
I just drove my LBS nuts with a similar problem. The noise maker turned out to be the cassette lock ring on my rear wheel (SRAM Red cassette) was a little loose. Tightened that up and its been quiet ever since. You might want to try that.

Rick
I have a noise coming from the back of my Orca too. I have a SRAM Rival/Force cassette...maybe you've helped solve my noise!

· More Cowbell
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After 3 weeks of taking apart and rebuilding, including changing out the BB and crank, I finally discovered the cause.

Rear wheel hub. Which sucks but is fixable. For now, I'm riding with another set on and enjoying the silence.

Thanks for the suggestions.

55/Rad

· Batteries not required
1,118 Posts
55/Rad said:
After 3 weeks of taking apart and rebuilding, including changing out the BB and crank, I finally discovered the cause.

Rear wheel hub. Which sucks but is fixable. For now, I'm riding with another set on and enjoying the silence.

Thanks for the suggestions.

55/Rad
I tighted the lockring on my SRAM cassette and that took care of one creak. But I still have creak under power (standing) that is making me crazy. :mad2:

· Batteries not required
1,118 Posts
good advice, no dice...

Amsmoore said:
Spoke Tension? Chainring bolts?
Thanks for the tips. I did a very unscientific spoke tension test (tapped each one and listened for the sound). They all feel tight and ring basically the same tone. I did find two slightly loose chainring bolts but it didn't make a difference in the creak. I took the seat post completely off to eliminate that possibility. I think the sound is coming from the rear hub. I know the cassette is tight so maybe the hub needs attention. :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.