Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Unstable
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dang! I might be able to get into shape yet. Just weighed my panniers at 15 pounds for the pair, with worldly belongings. I think the bike might weigh 25 or so (Bianchi Volpe, somebody might have a better calibrated arm than mine). By no means am I a commuting weight weenie. I save that trait for the MTBs :cool:

Sooo, what you all running weight wise? I am sure summer and winter weights will vary some (today I had my rain gear, so in the dead of summer I could probably get rid of 7.5 pounds...1 pannier + crap).

Cheers!

·
What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
Commuting, I carry anywhere from 10-20 lbs in a backpack, on top of a 23 ish lb. bike. Fortunately, most commute rides are 30 min or less. If I used panniers, who knows, I could carry another 20 lbs every day. Wouldn't that be fun on a fixte.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
I have no idea what my bikes weigh.

When I commute I can carry everything I need in my jersey pockets on all but a rare day. My tools, patch kit, and a tube stay in the small bag under my saddle.

·
Unstable
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nate said:
I have no idea what my bikes weigh.

When I commute I can carry everything I need in my jersey pockets on all but a rare day. My tools, patch kit, and a tube stay in the small bag under my saddle.
You must work in a LBS on the equator? Jeebus, you are scant. I want your job/lifestyle.

I took all my ties and both pairs of dress shoes to work. No place to hang a weeks worth of clothes. Also, it is in the 50s when I leave in the AM and in the 70s or 80s in the PM (for now).

OverStuffed said:
Commuting, I carry anywhere from 10-20 lbs in a backpack, on top of a 23 ish lb. bike. Fortunately, most commute rides are 30 min or less. If I used panniers, who knows, I could carry another 20 lbs every day. Wouldn't that be fun on a fixte.
40 pounds of extra "stuff" on a fixie would be entertaining. I am sure. I tried the pack, but found it uncomfortable after 30 min., that and I sweat like a pig in Houston in late August.

Enjoy gents!

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Meat Foot said:
You must work in a LBS on the equator? Jeebus, you are scant. I want your job/lifestyle.

I took all my ties and both pairs of dress shoes to work. No place to hang a weeks worth of clothes. Also, it is in the 50s when I leave in the AM and in the 70s or 80s in the PM (for now).
I always leave a pair of shoes, belt, shampoo, soap, toothbrush and toothpaste at work. I can swap out my work clothes and towel on days I drive. Since it is 28 miles each way I like to carry as little as possible when riding. If it was short enough to ride daily then I would actually have to carry more instead of swapping clothes on driving days.

I don't have to wear a tie or dress shoes. Khakis, any shirt with a collar and sneakers are acceptable though I often wear something a little nicer.

·
Unstable
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nate said:
Since it is 28 miles each way I like to carry as little as possible when riding. If it was short enough to ride daily then I would actually have to carry more instead of swapping clothes on driving days.
Good plan. I would probably have more car days if I had that kind of commute. Mine is "only" 25 miles RT. Pffft, piece of cake. I find that I can get by with a wash cloth and sink at the office. So far people still interface with me, so I must not be too offensive :blush2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.