Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bums me out.

KVIBE is a program located smack in the middle of the two largest housing projects in Honolulu. It teaches kids how to restore and car for bikes, culminating with the earning of one of the restored bikes.

And a single complaint may shut it down.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/20100813_Complaint_endangers_bike_program.html

A program that teaches Kalihi youth how to fix bicycles -- and recently won an $84,000 state grant -- is in danger of being closed down.

The Kalihi Valley Instructional Bike Exchange Program, or KVIBE, is asking the city for a zoning variance so it can stay at its shop at 1638 Kamehameha IV Road.

The site, a former egg-processing plant in an area once zoned for commercial use, now has residential zoning. A neighbor's complaint about noise brought the program to the attention of city regulators.
The site is between Kalihi Valley Homes and Kuhio Park Terrace, the state's two largest public housing projects. The program serves many young people from the projects and provides a haven where gang "colors" are restricted.

Teens overcome their differences and connect with peers and mentors in a positive way, said Dr. David Derauf, executive director of Kokua Kalihi Valley Comprehensive Family Services, which oversees the program.

Kokua Kalihi Valley officials are awaiting approval on the zoning variance at a time when they recently received an $84,000 grant from the state Department of Health's Healthy Hawaii Initiative.

Funds will be used to establish a traveling bike repair shop to offer free services and promote bike safety and active lifestyles in other communities, said Heidi Hansen-Smith, community outreach coordinator of the Healthy Hawaii Initiative. Workshops will be held for those interested in using the bike exchange program model for at-risk youth in other areas.​

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Back when I worked for a government agency that did such grants we ran into problems like that all the time. In today's world of stupid lawsuits and idiots it only takes one complaint to derail fantastic programs. It used to amaze me how we were told to shut something down after one or two complaints over almost nothing.

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Back when I worked for a government agency that did such grants we ran into problems like that all the time. In today's world of stupid lawsuits and idiots it only takes one complaint to derail fantastic programs. It used to amaze me how we were told to shut something down after one or two complaints over almost nothing.
Crack/meth labs?

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I certainly wouldn't blame the complainer. The management team for the program are to blame for not knowing that the location was not zoned for the program.

·
Administrator
12,969 Posts
Zoning violation does not equal complaint.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
I looked at the site on Google, according to the address. It looks like that place has been there at least as long as the houses, which is a long time. So I don't think the neighbors have any standing to complain about the zoning, and a variance should be approved.

Of course, the neighbor isn't complaining about zoning. They are complaining about noise. I never produced a lot of noise working on my bikes, so I gather this is more of the loud radio, loud talking type of noise that goes all day and into the night. That's a legitimate complaint, and an easily solvable problem.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
This ^^. Someone complained about the noise, figured out there was a zoning violation and now they're out of luck.

OTOH, maybe someone's just being a d!ck, too.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Why can't complaining about GTDave be this effective?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts