Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

· Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
39,051 Posts

· Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,029 Posts
http://www.richardsachs.com/rsachsfaq.html

Look at the section "Update July 15"


"Update: July 15, 2008
At this time, I have decided to close the order book to new clients for Richard Sachs Signature frames effective August 15, 2008. If you are currently contemplating a purchase and holding an order form, I encourage you to remit in the near future.
Please note that I will continue to accept new orders from current and previous Richard Sachs clients. Thank you. "

Just guessing here, but if he wants to retire in 7 or 8 years (or even start winding down) then, with a 6 year wait list (that will get longer as a result of this announcment), he needs to do this now.

He certainly has earned it.

Note that his site has links to many other frame builders he recommends.

Len
 

· Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,029 Posts
terry b said:
You guys are slipping!

I wonder if I can get LenJ to exercise his "prior customer status" in order to buy me one? :idea:
For the low low price of..............:eek:

Len
 

· Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,573 Posts
Meh, who cares. It just a frame.........A good frame, but still a frame. You can get just as good of frame from 10 other builders.
 

· Administrator
Joined
·
13,168 Posts
Bummer. :(
 

· Not Banned
Joined
·
49,249 Posts
nah

it's just a clever marketing ploy atmo
he will get a mad rush and then have enough preorders to take him to retirement.
heck, the now 'even more limited supply' will drive his prices further up , low supply -high demand

very clever indeed

then again I could just be talking smack fer teh funses

atmo
 

· Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
39,051 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Meh, who cares. It just a frame.........A good frame, but still a frame. You can get just as good of frame from 10 other builders.
So? He's certainly done what he's done at a very high level for a very long time (33 years), and that's worthy of at least some admiration and respect.

It's a bit like Brett Favre's retirement... you can go, "Oh, so what, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are just as good or better", or you can go, "Wow, he's achieved a lot" and give him the tip of the hat he deserves. Whatever's clever.


...
 

· Home Brew User!
Joined
·
2,812 Posts
FatTireFred said:
indeed. he's not going belly-up, he's semi-retiring
Not even sure he is semi-retiring. By August he will have a 7-8 year back log plus he will continue to accept orders from current and previous Richard Sachs clients.

7-8 years from now there's another "press release" saying he's back.

ATMOPEDIA 8.0
 

· Steaming piles of opinion
Joined
·
10,520 Posts
I don't see any OOB or even retirement there. I just see a guy who recognizes that he's got more work than he can handle, and if he keeps upping the backlog, all he's really adding is ill will.

My guess is once he narrows it down to a year or so backlog, (which may never happen, what with the gap he's left) he'll open it back up.
 

· Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
39,051 Posts
StellaBlue said:
Any builder worth a mention will do it that long . Unless they die young .
Yep. And I would respect them also. :thumbsup:


...
 

· Decrepit Member
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
StellaBlue said:
Any builder worth a mention will do it that long . Unless the die young .
Richard has been building bicycle frames since 1972; that means he's been building them for 36 years. Thirty-six years plus his seven year backlog = 43 years. That's a long career any way you look at it.

He'll still have the option of accepting orders from new customers again once the backlog gets whittled down a bit.
 

· Growing Older, Not Up
Joined
·
1,321 Posts
SystemShock said:
It's a bit like Brett Favre's retirement...
Has Sachs been downing beer and vicodin? Hopefully he doesn't start hocking Wranglers. At lease if he gets "the itch" various news outlets will not feel the need to report whether he will or will not pick up the torch again as nauseum.

Sorry to drag this OT, carry on...
 

· Banned
Joined
·
211 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Meh, who cares. It just a frame.........A good frame, but still a frame. You can get just as good of frame from 10 other builders.

No kidding although the 10 number is way, way, way, way , way LOW! This is a friggin bike frame we are talking about not the NASA space Shuttle or a nuclear submarine. One of the simplest structures around, a basic double triangle diamond. Go ride a sachs frame blindfolded and any number of off the shelf frames and if they both fit you would have absolutely no clue which is which. None, nada, zip despite all the bullsheot artists resilient steel BS, etc, etc, etc.

Multi year wait, nosebleed prices and monumental hype and BS for a simple piece of equipment that will in no way, shape or form ride better than dozens yes many dozens of other frames out there, including loads of off the shelf non custom frames. Take a basic Specialized Roubaix frame for example, what Sachs is building will not in any way ride better than that bike, IT WONT!. It will not climb better, it wont handle better it wont descend better, nothing, nada, zip despite the BS hype claims in here.

Any blowhard waiting 5 years, 5 years LMFAO, for a bike frame is an Idiot, plain and simple your gullible and a clowns clown LOL. :)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Troy16 said:
No kidding although the 10 number is way, way, way, way , way LOW! This is a friggin bike frame we are talking about not the NASA space Shuttle or a nuclear submarine. One of the simplest structures around, a basic double triangle diamond. Go ride a sachs frame blindfolded and any number of off the shelf frames and if they both fit you would have absolutely no clue which is which. None, nada, zip despite all the bullsheot artists resilient steel BS, etc, etc, etc.

Multi year wait, nosebleed prices and monumental hype and BS for a simple piece of equipment that will in no way, shape or form ride better than dozens yes many dozens of other frames out there, including loads of off the shelf non custom frames. Take a basic Specialized Roubaix frame for example, what Sachs is building will not in any way ride better than that bike, IT WONT!. It will not climb better, it wont handle better it wont descend better, nothing, nada, zip despite the BS hype claims in here.
i agree.
here ya' go atmo.
Troy16 said:
Any blowhard waiting 5 years, 5 years LMFAO, for a bike frame is an Idiot, plain and simple your gullible and a clowns clown LOL. :)
and they say men lack depth and don't feel...
 
1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top