Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand the logic behind this. Why a front brake and not a back? When was a kid I remember stopping the fast moving bike with he front brake and was quickly flipped over the bars.:idea:

From Wikipedia on fixed gear bikes:
Because it is possible to slow down or stop a fixed-gear bike by resisting the turning pedals, some riders think brakes are not strictly necessary. However, if the rider of a fixed-gear bike only has a rear wheel brake, the maximal deceleration is significantly lower than on a bike equipped with both a front and rear brake.[26] As a vehicle brakes, weight is transferred towards the front wheel and away from the rear wheel, decreasing the amount of grip the rear wheel has. Shifting the rider's weight aft will increase rear wheel braking efficiency, but normally the front wheel might provide 70% or more of the braking power when braking hard (see Weight transfer). Some fixed gear riders only equip their bike with a front brake.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You just lacked skill :p With fixie you'll notice right away when you're braking too much with your front brake.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Stopping power comes from the front brake.

And running a "cross" lever with the very short cable run and positive feel (which I and many other fixed riders do), one can get exceptional modulation.

On my SS, I run front and rear brakes.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
+1, Richard. Front brake on a fixed gear feels just fine; works very well.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I used just a front brake for the first five years and did fine, but did have a few scary moments on fast bumpy descents when the back wheel got waaay too light, this was especially bad on group rides as I don't want to be the rider that causes a pileup...have seen a few over the years including one that broke someones hip (the rider that caused it was NOT riding fixed though). Added a rear brake recently and it is a big improvement in general and descents definitely feel safer so it stays on my bike...

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
good points

ukiahb said:
I used just a front brake for the first five years and did fine, but did have a few scary moments on fast bumpy descents when the back wheel got waaay too light, this was especially bad on group rides as I don't want to be the rider that causes a pileup...have seen a few over the years including one that broke someones hip (the rider that caused it was NOT riding fixed though). Added a rear brake recently and it is a big improvement in general and descents definitely feel safer so it stays on my bike...
If I often did long descents on the fixed, especially on iffy surfaces or in wet weather, I'd definitely have a back brake. For flatter city rides with only short descents, front brake is generally enough (for me).

·
uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
another point: on real track frames there's usually no way to mount a rear brake, the arch is too low, a lot of times it problematic even drilling the fork crown...

·
hello
3,394 Posts
The addition of a rear brake is most welcomed on very long descents, mainly to ease fatigue on your other braking hand.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
supercorsa said:
another point: on real track frames there's usually no way to mount a rear brake, the arch is too low, a lot of times it problematic even drilling the fork crown...

keirin brake?

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
It seems to rain all the time here, and I would much rather use a front brake on a fixed than two sets of rim brakes on a single speed. Of course, if you had double brakes on a fixed gear, you are still fixed. Wet rim brakes are not much use.

I run a taller gear since moving somewhere with hills, and I don't have an issue with descending with only a front brake.

JCavilia said:
If I often did long descents on the fixed, especially on iffy surfaces or in wet weather, I'd definitely have a back brake. For flatter city rides with only short descents, front brake is generally enough (for me).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.