Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to say.. it was WORSE than LEVI speaking on the camera

but hats off to have -for coming in 3rd.

awesome ride from someone as an unknown who got mentioned in the Tour Of California for coming in 2nd? to Levi Leiphemer in the Opening prologue/time trial as someone who came out of no where.

GO USA

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
in a couple days

he'll realize how cool it was
right then he was just bummed
but he knew he was not the strongest
will be a big training motivator for the future

·
Registered
69 Posts
It was painful to watch him be so down on himself after such a fantastic ride. Hopefully someone will be able to help him see what a great job he did today -- he sure could use a little bit of the confidence that VdV (rightfully IMO) has

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wait a minute. He said that he wasn't the fastest on the HC, so he decided to slack off and not put in any work in the line. Then he "did better than he expected" on the climb to the finish, finished on the podium, and is still bummed about how he did?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I wouldn't slam the guy for a bad interview....poor guy pulled off an amazing ride, but was so hard on himself that he almost broke into tears a few times during the interview....Can't blame him for awkward responses....the guy left everything he had out on the road and thought it wasn't enough!

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
bas said:
awesome ride from someone as an unknown who got mentioned in the Tour Of California for coming in 2nd? to Levi Leiphemer in the Opening prologue/time trial as someone who came out of no where.
Pate hardly came out of nowhere and he didn't finish 2nd to Leipheimer in the TOC prologue either (that was Jason Donald.)

Pate isn't a big winner, but he's been around forever and has has some close calls. He was 3rd in the US Pro Road Race in 2002 and 2nd in 2005 and 3rd again in 2006. Those were international fields in '02 and '05 and he came in just behind Hincapie and Leipheimer in '06.

http://www.velobios.com/riders.slipstream2007.pate.htm

As to the interview - Pate's interviews are always a bit awkward - having to communicate his feelings with a hyperactive Robbie Ventura after a near miss on a TDF mountaintop finish can't make it any better.

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
Though it hasn't involved anything remotely close to a Tour stage- I have felt exactly the same way on a couple of occasions. I wanted to give Danny a hug & let him cry on my shoulder while I was watching that interview. He was trying so hard to not let all of his disappointment show, but I know how bad it feels to think that you've let yourself & your team down.

Mad props to Mr. Pate :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
He was physically exhausted, certainly beyond even most of the riders on this
site's personal experience and was being utterly candid. I found it to be insightful
beyond the usual 'sports adages' interview, a breath of fresh air.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think it was pure disappointment. He did give everything he had.

I am not knocking him, but he seems like the type of guy that the last few K will run through his mind over and over and he will try to figure if there was something more he could have done strategy wise or possibly he had an erg or two left somewhere in his body.

It was an amazing ride by him and I hope he does realize it. One thing we don't know is what the team was telling him at the end. Did they advise him on a plan or just leave him to himself?

I hope he bounces back and leads Christian into Yellow!

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
juno said:
I think it was pure disappointment. He did give everything he had.

I am not knocking him, but he seems like the type of guy that the last few K will run through his mind over and over and he will try to figure if there was something more he could have done strategy wise or possibly he had an erg or two left somewhere in his body.
Not only was he running through the last few K, he was running through the last months leading up to that finish- every time he may have slacked a little in training, every time he ate a few too many calories, etc.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Funny you should say that: My husband, who is not exactly a sensitivity training instructor, said "somebody should give him a hug" after that interview. Poor thing, I give him props for not actually crying, you could tell he was planning to cry for a while in the shower.

·
Dopers ruin sport
508 Posts
Not the best interview. But I'v noticed the same thing with Frischkorn. Both seemed dissapointed with the ride they put in. I guess they wanted to fly the flag high for Garmin/Chipotle and get a stage win. On the other hand he was really tired and did not want a camera in his face right when he finished.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
actually, i found the interview great. you always see guys talk about how they worked hard, just didnt have the legs today, etc. here you have a guy who just finished a massive effort, did better than anyone expected, yet is disappointed in himself for not taking the stage. it shows a true competitive nature. he was probably second guessing not working to drop the CA and eventually stage winner when they had a chance.

roadie92, you are right. the garmin guys all seem to have the "disappointed" comment. and i dont blame them. heck, when i run 5ks i always think about how i could have run a better race and placed better. and thats just for fun and myself. these guys are working for their team's glory, too.

you do, however, just wanna give them all a big hug and say, "there can only be one stage winner, but as long as you did what you thought was the best at the time. hindsight is 20/20. use what you learned for the next time."

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
Danny is a man of few words, but he is a great guy.

Here is a better interview, he talks about how he could barely talk in his first interview as he was so mad

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/26025/5m/contagionimg.dayport.com/dayportcore/dpm/DayPortPlayers.js"></script><script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">DayPortPlayer.newPlayer({articleID:"2303",playerInstanceID:"BE4CFEAA-C03F-B836-C4D5-6F7B1153D45F",domain:"contagion.dayport.com"});</script>

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.