Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has retro and fixie appeal but more retro than fixie so I'm posting here - you like gold lined lugs and 58 year old British steel right............

I am spitting/raging/gutted/furious/basically $%^&ed off. I bought a 1950 A S Gillott recently and had it refurbished by Bob Jackson in the UK and sent to NZ where I now live (to make matters worse winter is getting underway). It arrived today and I unpacked it 2hrs ago to find the wood bracing the rear end had shifted and the right hand drop out is badly bent inwards (thanks FedEx).

The pictures don't do the bend justice I can tell you (apols for dirty carpet, rented house plus 2yr old + 13 week old + dog = filth). I really really hope it can be bent or 'cold set' back. Trouble is no frame builders at all operate in NZ so I'm in LBS territory. last one I knew went under a few years ago.

The paint is damaged too.

Here are some sh**ty pictures taken with little care whilst in a bad bood. None of 'em do the colour justice. It's a very vibrant blue/red, but flash bug*ers it up and without leaves it too dark. I'm crap with a camera.

For some reason Gillotts had the 531 decal facing rear! Has pump pegs and an oil lube port in b/b shell.

Other parts are last generation Campagnolo Super Record Pista chainset and seat post, Brooks Swift saddle. Got slotted Phil Wood hubs, 27" rims etc.

Feel like throwing it in the bin to be frank.:mad2: :cryin: :mad: :( :mad2: :cryin: :mad: :cryin: :( :mad2: :mad: :( :cryin: :confused: :idea: :( :mad2: :mad:

·
naranjito
785 Posts
That looks stunning, but it's a real bummer about the dropout. Is it cut plate or forged? From the pictures it doesn't look too badly bent, but you say it's worse than the pictures make it appear... Wasn't the dropout spacer/protection bolted in place? Surely it can't have been just wedged between the dropouts?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wedged, no tape, no bolt. I really can't be arsed to ship it back to Blighty. Doubt FedEx'll do anything about it..................Hopefully it'll be 'ok', but blemished, but if it's not.............

Oh well, I do have another lugless Gillott here in need of a repaint...................

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
Just use a Campagnolo H tool and it will come right back into line. You can see what they look ike if you do a web search for Campagnolo H tool. It comes in the Campagnolo tool set. Check around at the local bike shops.
Also sold as Drop out alignment tools by park and others. I have brought back worse than that.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
That's eminently fixable, Danny Boy. Beauty of steel you know.

Any good LBS should have the Campy fork end/drop out alignment tool. I had to use it on my Raleigh, both fork and drop outs, and like an idiot neglected to check before I had it powdercoated. But it came out fine. Wheel and axle alignment are spot on.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MBNZ said:
DannyBoy, nice frame, and a shame it got bent.

If you hadn't moved to Wellington(?) I would have thought that DB could have sorted it. Try http://www.vorb.org.nz/forum-13.html, there are a few people down your way who may be able to suggest which LBS is any use for such things.

Good luck

Mark.
DB has given me the name of a guy, so I'll try and take it to the doctors today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sadly no......

JP said:
You know they are just going to send you out for some coffee. While you are out it will be fixed like it never happened.
Sadly no coffee, but he did fix it. The paint is a bit buggered from the Campag tool but a bit of clear coat should keep the rust at bay.

This fellow fixed it;

http://oli-roadworks.blogspot.com/

The wheels are being built this w/e so completed bike pix should be here in a week or so.

DannyBoy.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're right there Dave....

Mind you, quite an interesting art peice I guess.

I was very worried that due to the age of the frame and the fact the drop outs are pressed and not forged I may have a problem with cracking. As I say the paint is a bit messed up but it was always going to happen with a fixed rear wheel anyway!:thumbsup:

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Very nice frame.

I wouldn't blame Fed-Ex. They didn't inadequately pack the frame...... Hopefully this becomes an "all's well that ends well" story. Show us the completed bike!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
That's a great looking frame. I always a sucker for brit bikes. Love the color too - not your run-of-the-mill stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.