Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having pain in the tricep are while lifting. I'm assuming it was tendons or ligaments. I haven't lifted in about a month now and need to get back into it.

Good luck and I hope you can avoid the MD trip.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,207 Posts
Weight lifting + unwillingness to admit that stiffness is actually pain + volleyball + inability to NOT spike a ball set to me = serious pain.

I just restarted the resistance training at the end of January, and my shoulder was bothering me. But that was just normal, it felt a bit stiff after lifting, but better by the second day when I would lift again. And last time I started to lift it did the same thing. After 2 weeks the stiffness would be gone, I was sure it would be just like the last 2 times I started to lift after a long layoff.

Nope.

So, my self diagnosis after giving myself range of motion tests and reading web pages is inflamation of the rotator cuff, taken to the point of stupidity. If it does not get better over the course of the next week, I will go to the MD.

Rest for me, and no V-ball for at least 2 weeks. I am a sad panda.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Dr. Coach MD

My ridiculous swim coach used to diagnose tendonitis or inflammation as "training pains".

He would rotate your arm around, poke your screaming shoulder, stroke his chin, and say, "Hmmm. You're suffering from 'training pains'." Of course, the only cure for training pains was long, sustained effort.

I'm glad to hear you're more rational about this. It isn't easy resting. The calendar's going to click over to March before you're back up and running. Are you OK with being seriously behind? I guess there's always 2007. ;)

·
Administrator
12,940 Posts
Shoulder stuff is nothing to mess with. After my crash in the State RR I had a third degree separation of the left shoulder (and matching broken scapula and broken ribs- weeeeeeee!). The shoulder itself only started getting better once I was given some rehab exercises and guidelines. Hope your shoulder feels better soon, but you may not want to wait a week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Speaking as...

a Family medicine doc who loves Sports Medicine and has hung out with people who take care of professional teams- Early rehab and modalities plus anti-inflammatories or even simple exercises given to you by the MD can make a huge difference in the long run. By training your body to protect that joint and decreasing inflammation early, you avoid a cycle which can naturally worsen (ie inlammation leading to pain leading to "protecting" the joint by altering your mechanics which actually does more harm leading to more inflammation...) No one wants to go to the MD, but being agressive early can get you back up and going MUCH sooner in some cases- and if those things dont work- steroid injections almost always do (and as long as you have done the Physical therapy- the pain may never come back-). Worst case scenario- if you have a rotator cuff tear you get cut sooner and back to activities that much sooner.

just my 2cents

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had some similar troubles this past year. For me, a long period (month) on continuous ibuprofen plus the use of a shoulder horn to strengthen some of the unbalanced muscles comprising the cuff did the trick.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,401 Posts
Shake it off, take a handfull of asprin, and ride your bike.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,207 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
Are you OK with being seriously behind?
Behind what? I don't have any goals, I don't race. I just like to get a bit of tone before riding season... which should start about May 1 round these parts, when the snow finally melts.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,207 Posts
jmchase76 said:
Worst case scenario- if you have a rotator cuff tear you get cut sooner and back to activities that much sooner.

just my 2cents
Yes, it could be a tear. But I doubt it. There was no sudden pain, just a gradual increase in stiffness and discomfort followed by some real pain the day after volleyball. Maybe tendons, maybe some swollen bursa, perhaps some impingement, but a tear would very much suprise me. Especially as it did get so much better after 2 days... until this last sunday that is.

I abused it, it was inflamed for sure. I am giving it a week for the inflamation to come down and taking good doses of advil. If I do go to the doc, I will be able to tell them that I think we need to do more work on it, including some big machines to look at what is going on inside. But I am not going to go in and have them say rest and see what happens, which is what they would say at this point.

Specific PT exercises are a good idea, and perhaps I will pursue them. But I will wait another few days to see where I am at. Thanks for the advice, it is good advice for sure.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Dr. Coach says...

dr hoo said:
Behind what? I don't have any goals, I don't race. I just like to get a bit of tone before riding season... which should start about May 1 round these parts, when the snow finally melts.
To avoid future injury, you should begin "circuit training" in place of whatever silly weights program you're doing now. View the weight room as 15 "stations". Race from station to station, 45 seconds on, 30 seconds off. The sequence is not important. Complete 4 circuits.

Do this 14 times a week. You'll get huge.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
I had the same problem.

A constant dull ache from the shoulder caused by over use in swimming. I found some simple exercises that have helped greatly. Here's the link

·
Registered
222 Posts
Listen to your body. There is a big difference between the pain you feel from an injury, and the soreness you feel from a good workout. I ignored the pain for years. I went from benching 315 for reps, to not being able to lift my arm over my head without pain for months. Today I no longer lift weights at all because of my shoulder. A switch to all dumbells exercise for your chest and shoulder will give your joints a break. I would avoid side and front laterals raises. They made my shoulder hurt more. If you want to be able to lift weight in your 40's, and 50's, check your ego at the door ( Which means, light weight, high reps).
MR_GRUMPY said:
Shake it off, take a handfull of asprin, and ride your bike.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,207 Posts
kpcw said:
I am 35 and have found that bench presses tweak my shoulder,
It was probably the decline press that did it to me more than the bench, combined with reverse flys. We quit the gym a few years ago and got a crossbow, used mostly for very light weights and toning. Obviously not light enough this time around. But mostly it was spiking in vball after aggravating it, since that is a hard fast motion with a shock at full extention.

It's really not that bad. Vball and sleeping on it wrong sunday night made it hurt a lot, but being careful how I slept the last couple nights has led to a lot of improvement.

I just wanted to complain.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,207 Posts
slowrider said:
If you want to be able to lift weight in your 40's, and 50's, check your ego at the door ( Which means, light weight, high reps).
I only do light weights, 15 reps not close to failure. Clearly I need to start even lighter when this clears up, and alter my routine to cut out some exercises.

Back in my wrestling days I did huge weights every day, like 2 hours every morning. Then, after a motorcycle accident cost me my massive college wrestling scholarship (of $1000), I did not touch them for 18 years. Big weight and bulking up are well in my past.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
I stopped lifting seriously because of RC problems. Starting to think that stuff like Yoga and Pilates is better for me. Doing little more than cardio lately.

thought about this therapy once. Chiro helps some, but is more of a band-aid. This is supposed to work wonders:

http://www.youcanbefit.com/art.html

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
A lot of what is diagnosed as rotator cuff syndrome, tendonitis and bursitis of the shoulder is actually secondary effects of impingement syndrome. These structures, the rotator cuff, the tendons, the bursa, get impinged between the acromion process and the head of the humerous. This is caused because the shoulder is riding up and forward. This happens because a lot of what we do through the day pushes the shoulder up and forward. It is often exacerbated in the gym by doing a lot of presses ... chest press, military press, etc. I see this A LOT. And I see A LOT of people get better with this simple program:

1) Pendulums - lean forward slightly with a 10 lb. weight in your hand. Let the weight pull your shoulder downward and slightly out of socket. Let the weight swing ligtly back and forth like a pendulum. Do this periodically through the day.

2) Lat Pull Down - 3 sets of 10 at a moderate weight

3) Rows - 3 sets of 10 at a moderate weight.

4) No presses.

This slowly draws the shoulder back and down and unimpinges the rotator cuff (or tendon or bursa). Do this three times a week for two weeks. If it doesn't get better, go see a doctor.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Yep

jmchase76 said:
a Family medicine doc who loves Sports Medicine and has hung out with people who take care of professional teams- Early rehab and modalities plus anti-inflammatories or even simple exercises given to you by the MD can make a huge difference in the long run. By training your body to protect that joint and decreasing inflammation early, you avoid a cycle which can naturally worsen (ie inlammation leading to pain leading to "protecting" the joint by altering your mechanics which actually does more harm leading to more inflammation...) No one wants to go to the MD, but being agressive early can get you back up and going MUCH sooner in some cases- and if those things dont work- steroid injections almost always do (and as long as you have done the Physical therapy- the pain may never come back-). Worst case scenario- if you have a rotator cuff tear you get cut sooner and back to activities that much sooner.

just my 2cents

He nailed it...PT, NSAIDS, and if needed some injections....easy to do, and remarkably effective. It doesn't sound like an acute tear, more of an overuse syndrome. Just finished boards.....4 hours......frigging sucked.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
physasst said:
He nailed it...PT, NSAIDS, and if needed some injections....easy to do, and remarkably effective. It doesn't sound like an acute tear, more of an overuse syndrome. Just finished boards.....4 hours......frigging sucked.
NSAIDS and injections are mainly band-aids to cover the real problem though. If you keep covering it up eventually it will just get worse.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
IStarting to think that stuff like Yoga and Pilates is better for me.
The scenery is a lot better too.......

I had a minor RC tear in college, lost a 1/2 a season due to it and could 'feel' it for 8 years years after, the pole vault is not gentle on the shoulder....everything everyone said is good info, deligent rehab/PT is key to recovery....good luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts