Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't find a whole lot of information on this saddle out on the web, but I took the chance and ordered one. The company is Dash Cycles or DASH CYCLES

They no longer offer a demo due to the fact people were abusing the saddles too much. What they do offer is the lower price 'Stock' version with the option to upgrade to their lighter more expensive version which is what I winded up doing. You can read more about their options on different versions on their website.

So how is the saddle? A little history on the saddles I've gone through already. I started with an older Selle Italia Flite and got numbness in the penis and pain around the sit bones.

I then changed to the Selle SMP Glider which was great when you sat more upright. The dip in the middle of the saddle when looked at from the side cradled your pelvis. The problem came when getting into an aero position.. the part towards the nose pressed into your soft tissue. I suppose you could tilt the saddle nose down more, but then I felt like I was sliding off. There was also the weight of the saddle.

Next was the Specialized Power S-Works. I thought I had found the saddle for me, until after a few months of using it. I initially thought I didn't have any more numbness with this saddle, but after some long climbs I did get some more numbness. It was better at getting aero, but there was still that narrow although short nose there that would push into your soft tissue when you got real low. I did like how the Power saddle had the little flare up at the tail. It kinda felt like it supported your butt and thus your back a little better on climbs.

So enter the Dash Strike. I initially bought their Dash Stock Strike which is a slightly heavier build in case I did not like it. Due to the 'smaller' size, it felt weird initially like you could fall off the back or front, but that feeling goes away completely. I asked them why they didn't have a tail that flared up and they said their studies have shown it is detrimental to climbing. I think I would prefer the back to go up a little personally. I have been on several hour continuous climbs and no numbness yet! I hope it stays that way. The saddle also allows me to get low without any uncomfortable pressure on the soft tissue. No numbness and being able to get very low was what I was looking for and this saddle has succeeded in both. The saddle is also extremely lightweight. One issue for me initially was that long tail in the back which looks really weird at first, although I have gotten used to it. The padding is on the firmer side. Slightly softer than the S-Works power saddle. It's fine on centuries as long as you get up from time to time. Don't think I would last a double on it though although I have never ridden that far. The saddle isn't quite a noseless design. Where I sit on it, the nose ends just past my testicles. The nose curves down though which helps avoid pressure. I find the nose is too narrow and uncomfortable to actually try perching on like an actual triathalon / TT saddle which they also carry. This model is more of their all arounder. Bottom line I'm happy with the saddle!

My spare tube, Co2, and head fits under the saddle.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,417 Posts
(snicker).....it looks like something from a Georgia O'Keefe painting!

But seriously, tell us all where we can get one, and how much it will cost. Will you be putting them on sale??

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
I like it. It's the first saddle design I've seen that looks like it was designed for humans to sit on.
Interesting comment. It presupposes that roughly 130 years of product design evolution of bicycle saddles has all come to naught until this thing came along.

Students of history will note that this is only the latest in a long line of "miracle" saddle designs. Each and every one has failed to gain any significant market share. Care to speculate why that would be?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts