Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we are all different but this is what's happening to me lately. I have two bikes,one is a race bike and I have a garmin 810 on it, I read speeds,averages,grade,HRM etc,and then I've just bought a gravel bike,slapped a very basic garmin on it where I can only read speed,distance and average speed. Well i'm really having the best rides ever with this setup. No alerts for too high HR, no thinking about how should I spin according to grade,no nothing. I come back home,upload the ride on strava and that's it,best ride ever,no fatigue,no muslces sores no nothing.. Ever happened to you ? Sometimes one should just enjoy the simple job of pedaling...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't have any data for me to see while I'm riding. I iust use strava on my smart phone which stays in my jersey pocket. I'll admit pacing myself for longer rides would be easier if I could see my HR. Otherwise I don't like seeing any data during a ride.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I haven't had any kind of cycling computer or gps for over 10 years. I used to have your basic cycling computer on all my bikes, but one by one, they all crapped out and I just didn't replace them. I have to admit, it took some getting used to not knowing how far did i ride?, how fast did I go? etc. But now I actually find it liberating to just enjoy the ride and not be obsessed with my statistics. I do however like to track my overall mileage, so I just map out my ride on ridewithgps when I'm done.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I'm a data addict. To counter it I have been absolutely steadfast about riding my MTB data free all winter long. It's nice.

·
Cycling Addict
5,170 Posts
I love riding data free. I can listen to my body and just ride however I feel at the time. I gave up racing years ago, so riding is purely for pleasure - and it's more pleasurable without some little electronic nag saying "you're slow!"

Now if somebody were to make an electronic odometer without any speed readouts, I would probably buy that. I used to love my Huret Multito odometer way back before the days of the cyclometer.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
You know, the garmin and wahoo devices data displays are completely user configurable. Don't want to know your HR? Don't display it! Don't want to know your average speed? Don't display it!

On the ELEMNT, the display has a Zoom function, where you can configure up to 10 data fields, and zoom in or out depending on which fields you want displayed.

For me, I am most interested in my HR, Cadence, Time of Ride, Ride Distance, and the Time of Day. I have other fields further down on the panel and just zoom out if I want to see them.

·
Cycling Addict
5,170 Posts
For a year I rode with a wireless computer in my jersey pocket so I wouldn't see the numbers in front of me, but I found that curiosity always made me check my average speed after a ride and thus I found that I was trying to push harder on each ride. I've left it behind and am just plain enjoying my rides more.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
The last time I had a data free ride was a race in an area that has messed with all my electronics. Would have liked to see that race data since it was a tough slog.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I know we are all different but this is what's happening to me lately. I have two bikes,one is a race bike and I have a garmin 810 on it, I read speeds,averages,grade,HRM etc,and then I've just bought a gravel bike,slapped a very basic garmin on it where I can only read speed,distance and average speed. Well i'm really having the best rides ever with this setup. No alerts for too high HR, no thinking about how should I spin according to grade,no nothing. I come back home,upload the ride on strava and that's it,best ride ever,no fatigue,no muslces sores no nothing.. Ever happened to you ? Sometimes one should just enjoy the simple job of pedaling...
No. But I don't set alerts for anything and knowing the percentage of grade has nothing to do with my cadence.

Basically, numbers are numbers. No need to let them dictate things that you don't want to do.

No fatigue just means you didn't push yourself. Time and a place for that. Again, numbers have little to do with it.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
have never owned a hrm.

basic functions are good enough...current speed, trip distance.

don't really want more than that.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
To me a data free ride is turning on the Garmin and forgetting it is there. Afterwards I still want to know where I did well. I'm training for GFNY Ventoux and my response may be influenced by this. I'll need to review this response afterwards.

·
Banned
748 Posts
I too like the data. To me its a great learning tool (ya!! even for an old geezer) especially when climbing and learning to pace myself for those longer faster group rides.. I believe the problems starts when you get wrapped up or measure your performance against others, most of the time its an apples to oranges fit. Its kinda like the guy that sees a cute couple and he wants the girl based on looks alone,, you never know what a little lipstick can hide..

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I too like the data. To me its a great learning tool (ya!! even for an old geezer) especially when climbing and learning to pace myself for those longer faster group rides.. I believe the problems starts when you get wrapped up or measure your performance against others, most of the time its an apples to oranges fit. Its kinda like the guy that sees a cute couple and he wants the girl based on looks alone,, you never know what a little lipstick can hide..

A cute girl riding by has been known to improve my performance. I just want to keep up. I've had some of my best segments that way.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You know, the garmin and wahoo devices data displays are completely user configurable. Don't want to know your HR? Don't display it! Don't want to know your average speed? Don't display it!
Thank you. I'm surprised it took so many posts for someone to mention this. FTR, I display speed, power, HR, and cadence. There's also a small current time and temperature.

I record every ride, if only to keep a log for maintenance.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
At age 53, I just got my first Garmin, the one you describe (at least in terms of functionality). To me, this is far more data than I have ever experienced previously. I am unconvinced that it is an improvement, but I like the fact that it will make it easier for me to log my rides. I also find triggering the auto-pause by going too slow up a hill is an unexpected delight.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I like data, but I did have my fastest loop time a couple years ago on a ride when my PT battery went dead, lost speedo and power but Strava used GPS to come up with was my best time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts