Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this bike in today. It is original. How do I know? It's brand new and came packaged in the original factory carton. It had never been even assembled. I'd really like to know it's model year if it is possible.

Some clues.

steel rims with shimano hubs
chrome plated frame with paint over it
serial number is on the head tube
Campy Valentino Extra group
5 speed freewheel
Universal center pull brakes
shrader valves in the tubes
cottered crank.

Any ideas?

· Registered
1 Posts
Just a guess, but...

Does your photo of the head show the whole serial number? From the way the first digit ("1") of your serial number appears to be offset slightly, I'd say it's a '71. On my '62 Garlatti, the "62" is part of the serial number, but separated from the rest of the digits slightly as well. My serial number is on the seat tube just below the lug connecting the top tube.

It's a great score. They sure don't make 'em like that anymore!

· Registered
1 Posts
Dating a Garlatti

I bought a virtually identical bicycle in October 1971 from Baggio cycles in Montreal, Canada. Baggio sold a large number of them in blue, green, red, and all-chrome (mine was blue). The only difference I can see is that mine had Campagnolo hubs and half-step gearing -- 52/49 in the front, and 14-21 or 23 in the rear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.