Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice ride by Brajkovic to stay with and actually out sprint Contasor. I did not know what kind of climber Brajkovic was, I guess he is good enough. Can he keep yellow till the end? Horner looked like he was earning his spot for the Tour.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
jd3 said:
Nice ride by Brajkovic to stay with and actually out sprint Contasor. I did not know what kind of climber Brajkovic was, I guess he is good enough. Can he keep yellow till the end? Horner looked like he was earning his spot for the Tour.
The question is whether Brajkovic will earn a climber's spot on the Radioshack TdF squad with Zubeldia having broken his wrist. Saturday (Huez) will give us the answer. But make no mistake, Contador will attack and put some hurt on Jani on Saturday.

· Registered
313 Posts
fornaca68 said:
Saturday (Huez) will give us the answer. But make no mistake, Contador will attack and put some hurt on Jani on Saturday.
I don't think so. If Conti could have done that today he would have. However, he keeps reflecting on his "overall goal" for this race. I don't think he'll ease up by any means, but I don't think he's going to wipe him up on Saturday.

I do question why Conti is the leader for Astana for this race if he's using it as a tune up. Wouldn't it make better sense to have him as a domestique to do the work; or do they simply not have another rider (other than Vino) that could have challenged for an overall podium? Regardless, his form seems pretty good to me, I'm just wondering why they'd enter a race without having someone wanting to go full bore for the overall. (I'm sure he'll take it if he can get it, just inquiring...)

· What Would Google Do.
1,578 Posts
your new to pro racing?

Since men were men and raced the whole season, instead of doing 3 events a year and peaking for one...this is the way 'modern' racing is. Riders generally 'peak' for specific races where they aim to come in 'fresh' and clean up rather than 'wasting' effort in other races which are not 'important' to them or their sponsors.

· Registered
474 Posts
muscleendurance said:
your new to pro racing?

Since men were men and raced the whole season, instead of doing 3 events a year and peaking for one...this is the way 'modern' racing is. Riders generally 'peak' for specific races where they aim to come in 'fresh' and clean up rather than 'wasting' effort in other races which are not 'important' to them or their sponsors.
I think his point was similar to one I made in another thread. If the team leaders have no intent of winning the race (Menchov, Millar, Contador, etc) then why not make someone else the team leader and let them take a genuine crack at it while you work on whatever it is you are really there to get dialed?

· Registered
681 Posts
You're new to punctuation?

Why all the inappropriately placed single quotations? Not trying to be the forum's writing nazi - I make enough spelling/punctuation/grammar mistakes myself, but it adds a weird overall tone to what you're saying when regular (and fully appropriate for the context) words are surrounded in quotes. It's almost as if you don't believe, or are unsure of, the words you're writing so you're disassociating yourself from them.
Not having a go... Just 'wondering'.

· Registered
313 Posts
JohnHemlock said:
I think his point was similar to one I made in another thread. If the team leaders have no intent of winning the race (Menchov, Millar, Contador, etc) then why not make someone else the team leader and let them take a genuine crack at it while you work on whatever it is you are really there to get dialed?
Exactly what I was referencing.

I understand peaking for a specific race. I don't understand taking a team to a major stage race and allowing the leader of the team to be content with simply getting prepped for an upcoming race. That seems like a waste of money/time for the other members of the team when there's more than likely someone else that has earned the right to attempt a podium.

AC admitted he told his guys to calm down on pushing the pace (or something like that). I don't understand why that makes sense to everyone else but me (and possibly JohnHemlock).

· Registered
313 Posts
Frith said:

Why all the inappropriately placed single quotations? Not trying to be the forum's writing nazi - I make enough spelling/punctuation/grammar mistakes myself, but it adds a weird overall tone to what you're saying when regular (and fully appropriate for the context) words are surrounded in quotes. It's almost as if you don't believe, or are unsure of, the words you're writing so you're disassociating yourself from them.
That was funny, btw.

· Registered
5,671 Posts
fixed it for ya ':)'

You're new to 'punctuation'?

Why all the 'inappropriately' placed single quotations? Not trying to be the forum's 'writing nazi' - I make enough 'spelling/punctuation/grammar' mistakes myself, but it adds a 'weird' overall tone to what you're saying when 'regular' (and fully appropriate for the context) words are surrounded in 'quotes.' It's almost as if you don't 'believe', or are 'unsure' of, the words you're writing so you're 'disassociating' yourself from them.

· What Would Google Do.
1,578 Posts
Frith said:

its a way of saying things in relative terms..there is no such thing as going into a race fresh, so I say 'fresh' instead, also saying 'wasting' is the same, it saves on replies taking up on all the wrong parts of a post :) and also points out to someone new to the subject this is what we call 'peaking' and other jargon used to describe things.

· Registered
2,177 Posts
today was a wonderful stage.
i'm very impressed with the brit eurosport commentators. they're awesome
the attacks on ADH was non-stop. relentless.
Brajkovic looks amazing. Contador looks great...
I appreciate the sportsmanship of Contador and Brajkovic after the stage.
I liked Horner pulling Van Garderen thru to maintain a podium spot for the kid.
I'm looking forward to how Armstrong will look in Tdswiss.
I hope armstrong doesn't diss Brajkovic and keep him out of TdF because he'll end up being another main competitor to him!
All in all, about as good of a mountain stage ever today!
Go USA!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.