Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...goes on a group ride in a suburb outside of Memphis every Tuesday night.

I'd seen this guy every Tuesday night last summer and never asked about his bike, but always thought it was a cool looking vintage steel ride. Today I finally told him that I liked his bike & asked if it were a team replica bike. He sort of chuckled and told me that it was an actual team bike... Davis Phinney's team bike :eek:

He said he "knew someone" back then that worked at True Temper. Apparently, the team only rode that particular frame for one season because it was a lightweight steel model that didn't hold up well. So his person "rescued" 6 frames that were destined to be destroyed. He said that all but his has broken since then.

He's got all of the original components in a box at his house (rebuilt it with an old-ish DA group a couple of years ago). He says it weighs around 20 pounds in its current form. I'm not a steel bike expert, but I'm guessing that's pretty light for something that age?

I promise I'll take a camera with me next time & get photos :D

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
just make sure he doesn't crash it... dave stoller's masi got crashed many yrs back

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, he told me he got hit by a car riding it (while commuting to work), which is when he updated the components a little. He said the only damage was a bent steer tube (I was wondering why he had an Alpha-Q fork on it...)

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
Andrea138 said:
He says it weighs around 20 pounds in its current form. I'm not a steel bike expert, but I'm guessing that's pretty light for something that age?
that's not that unusual of a weight for vintage bikes. like every other bike it depends on what you put on it and the size. my 82 gios weighs a solid 20 with a fairly "heavy" wheelset.

that's a cool story though. nice to hear the guy takes it out regularly.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I saw a bike that once belonged to Andy Hampstein, and it had gold campy and gold ?Mavic Brakes? - I felt like I was in the presence of the pope, but in the shape of a bike. ~_~

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
THe TruTemper that year proved to be a disaster, which is why some riders actually rode other bikes that year, If you do a search on the Serotta forum, there are some interesting stories about it. Here is a pix posted by Hoss on the Serotta web site. Dave Kirk, who built for Serotta at the time, remembers Phinney's bikes to be 54 X57 so most people would be really stretched out, or showing a lot of post!!

b21

Andrea138 said:
...goes on a group ride in a suburb outside of Memphis every Tuesday night.

I'd seen this guy every Tuesday night last summer and never asked about his bike, but always thought it was a cool looking vintage steel ride. Today I finally told him that I liked his bike & asked if it were a team replica bike. He sort of chuckled and told me that it was an actual team bike... Davis Phinney's team bike :eek:

He said he "knew someone" back then that worked at True Temper. Apparently, the team only rode that particular frame for one season because it was a lightweight steel model that didn't hold up well. So his person "rescued" 6 frames that were destined to be destroyed. He said that all but his has broken since then.

He's got all of the original components in a box at his house (rebuilt it with an old-ish DA group a couple of years ago). He says it weighs around 20 pounds in its current form. I'm not a steel bike expert, but I'm guessing that's pretty light for something that age?

I promise I'll take a camera with me next time & get photos :D

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
I saw a Davis Phinney today (little bike about 50 cm, little guy owns it). He said it was a Serotta (?). It had Davis Phinney decals, lugged, with a black and sort of electric green "tear" paint scheme. Nice to see older bikes popping up and actually ridden.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,143 Posts
barry1021 said:
THe TruTemper that year proved to be a disaster, which is why some riders actually rode other bikes that year, If you do a search on the Serotta forum, there are some interesting stories about it. Here is a pix posted by Hoss on the Serotta web site. Dave Kirk, who built for Serotta at the time, remembers Phinney's bikes to be 54 X57 so most people would be really stretched out, or showing a lot of post!!

b21
Love those Cinelli bar and stem combo. There's nothing like a deep drop Cinelli bar that makes a vintage steel ride look even classier. Go big or go home!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Thommy said:
I saw a Davis Phinney today (little bike about 50 cm, little guy owns it). He said it was a Serotta (?). It had Davis Phinney decals, lugged, with a black and sort of electric green "tear" paint scheme. Nice to see older bikes popping up and actually ridden.
the 7-11 Huffy bikes were made by Serotta.

b21

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
There's a True Temper 7-11 bike under Tommy Matush from time to time when he's in town. Back when I was faster, Tommy still is, I spent a lot of laps looking at his rear wheel. The True Temper tubing didn't impair his ability to wind it up and kick our asses. He did have a 7-11 Merckx he sold me which I gave to my smaller brother as it was too small for me.

On the subject of Serotta's work on the Davis Phinney Custom Series, I've had one since 1989. I had it repainted in 1994 but it's been my favorite bike.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
TWB8s said:
There's a True Temper 7-11 bike under Tommy Matush from time to time when he's in town. Back when I was faster, Tommy still is, I spent a lot of laps looking at his rear wheel. The True Temper tubing didn't impair his ability to wind it up and kick our asses. He did have a 7-11 Merckx he sold me which I gave to my smaller brother as it was too small for me.

On the subject of Serotta's work on the Davis Phinney Custom Series, I've had one since 1989. I had it repainted in 1994 but it's been my favorite bike.
cool paint!

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
barry1021 said:
cool paint!

I blame Serotta for that. It's stock for that year. The year after they had a black/purple blend.

I'm going to have Spectrum Powder Works repaint it this year but I haven't decided on a color or two tone yet.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
TWB8s said:
I blame Serotta for that. It's stock for that year. The year after they had a black/purple blend.

I'm going to have Spectrum Powder Works repaint it this year but I haven't decided on a color or two tone yet.
They just did my Strong Custom, great to work with. Have you been on their web site, the color choices are overwhelming! I was going to have a royal plum done that I borrowed from Dave Kirk's site, but they couldn't duplicate it in powder. I ended up with a celeste-like green which i like a lot.

b21

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
barry1021 said:
They just did my Strong Custom, great to work with. Have you been on their web site, the color choices are overwhelming! I was going to have a royal plum done that I borrowed from Dave Kirk's site, but they couldn't duplicate it in powder. I ended up with a celeste-like green which i like a lot.

b21

Yeah, and I talked to JT at NAHMBS. Seeing quite a few frames they've done at NAHMBS sold me on their ability to paint "decals" and have it look proper. A frame builder up the street from me, ZR Cycles, has SPW do his painting too. It's quite impressive. As for colors, I could see a celeste over Ti on my Seven or Lemond, but not the Serotta. I'd have to pick a complementary color to the Celeste. I like Bianchi celeste too much to get it wrong with another color.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
While not a bike, I have had the pleasure to ride on occation with Tom Schuler, the founder to Team 7-11 and 1987 US National Champion. Super nice guy and still a beast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts