Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to lighten my bike but dont know where to start.

here is the list of parts:
Frame 100% Cr-Mo, Euro Bottom Bracket (English/Standard Threading), Water Bottle Mount, Front & Rear Fender Mounts (Clearance on Rear is tight, not all fenders will fit) Detailed Pics Gallery

Fork Triple Butted 100% Cr-Mo w/ Fender Mounts

Crankset FSA Vero3-pc Alloy, 170mm, Euro Sealed Bearing, 46T Alloy

Bottom Bracket Semi Cartridge Bearing ST

Pedals Clip and Strap Road as shown

Cassette/Freewheel 16T Freewheel

Chain KMC Z410 Silver

Front / Rear Hub Formula High Flange Alloy, 32H, Sealed Bearing, Nutted/

Formula High Flange Alloy, 32H, Sealed Bearing Nutted, Fixed Flip Flop

Spokes 14G Stainless Steel

Rims Alex R500, 32H, Double Wall w/ CNC Sidewalls

Tires Kenda K176, 700 X 28c

Brake Set Tektro 510A Dual Pivot Caliper F&R

Brake Levers Tektro RX4.1, Alloy, F&R

Headset 1.125inch sealed bearing for threadless steerer

Handlebar Aluminum Alloy Road, 7 Degree Sweep

Stem SE 3D Forged Alloy

Tape/Grip Velo Cushion Wrap Foam

Saddle Dawes Super Light w/ Custom Cover

Seat Post Dawes Micro Adjust Alloy 27.2

Seat Clamp Ultralite alloy - Bolt-on

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Dude, it's a SS... if it's not light enough as it is... you might as well start over from scratch. Especially since it's a Dawes. No offense or anything.

I say frame, wheels then fork.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
You could probably shed quite a bit swapping the wheelset, seatpost, and saddle. In my searches I swear I've read about the wheelsets on lower end bikesdirect bikes being anchors. round out the rider/bike interface by making sure the pedals and handlebars are to your liking. Swapping those may offer a few more grams, but comfort/confidence is more a factor there. The bigguns besides that would be a carbon fork and crankset and those will cost too much to justify. you have to consider with half those upgrades you'd be knocking on the door of a Jamis Sputnik's cost and that weighs 16.75 lbs out of the box.

My advice: enjoy your bike for what it is, upgrade whatever hurts or breaks, ride, ride, ride.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wheels are where the BIGGEST weight savings are...

The wheels you list are going to weigh in the 1200g each category. You can use a lighter front wheel if you want. I use a Campy Proton on the front of my Bianchi Pista. I saved over 500g on that alone. Dropping weight is going to cost you big time though as you would likely need to purchase a lighter crankset/bb and rear wheel as well. To be honest, my fixie weighs 2 pounds more than my geared (Caad8 R5000). On the road, I hardly notice the difference....probably because my fixie (Bianchi Pista) is just so much more fun to ride!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.