Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Co-worker just called me from our lobby....I have a flat tire on my Tahoe!! Now I get to look forward to changing it in my work clothes after work!! Just went out and got the jack and all the tools out. Ran into first problem - freakin lugs are so tight I can't even budge them. This will be a lot of fun!!!

·
MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
991 Posts
A Flat tire ruins your whole day? You must have had some really big plans.

Oh and SECOND!

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doubt fix a flat will work - there was a freakin 5mm allen wrench through the tread....have NO idea how that even got angled to penetrate the tire. The short end was thru the tire and the long end was flush with the tread pattern.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I carry a plug kit. I have also been known to use my bike floor pump to inflate a tire. It takes a while, but you aren't going anywhere fast anyway are you?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Leverage

To loosen the lug nuts, have someone hold the lug wrench on the lug with it pointing to 9 oclock. Place yur foot on the wrench and step up. Your body weight should gently push the lever down. Repeat on all of the lugs. Be careful not to make the wrench slip off or it may hurt your assistant's hands.

Or, find a pipe, 3 ft long, and slip over the end of the wrench. This is called a cheater pipe and will greatly improve leverage on the nut. Works great if you have one handy.

Hope this helps. Also, you probably know this, but loosen the nuts before jacking the car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
MCF said:
Not a member of triple AAA, and I'm a guy.
A guy would be able to loosen the lug nuts.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
konaken said:
To loosen the lug nuts, have someone hold the lug wrench on the lug with it pointing to 9 oclock. Place yur foot on the wrench and step up. Your body weight should gently push the lever down. Repeat on all of the lugs. Be careful not to make the wrench slip off or it may hurt your assistant's hands.
If you do it carefuilly, you don't need as assistant. One foot near the base of the wrench, the other at the outer end... bounce a bit if you need to.

Oh, and it's just a flat... take a deep breath....

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Cheater Bar

In addition to applying WD40 a few times today see if you can find a cheater bar (pipe to extend the lug nut wrench.

Go to the thrift store and pick up some cheap clothes for changing the tire.

Maybe you can just strap a Prius underneath it, their small so you should not have to jack it up too far.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Onstar? Maybe they'll help ya :D

·
Glue Sniffer
4,598 Posts
MCF said:
Co-worker just called me from our lobby....I have a flat tire on my Tahoe!! Now I get to look forward to changing it in my work clothes after work!! Just went out and got the jack and all the tools out. Ran into first problem - freakin lugs are so tight I can't even budge them. This will be a lot of fun!!!
a) Harden up, princess. The only difference between a good day and a bad day is perspective. It coulda gone flat while you were in the middle of nowhere. Or while you were on the way to something that means the world to someone else. Or while you were going around a tight corner at 70mph.

b) As someone who's changed numerous flats with my wee lil' girl arms (meaning even regularly tightened lugs are a b!tch), use the leverage of the tire iron. I often stand on the edge and bounce a little. If this doesn't work, try to find a small pipe (Aluminum seatpost?) to extend the lever.

Good luck.

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
Aaa

Find a co-worker that has triple A. Responses go with the account holder, not the vehicle....

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
MCF said:
Doubt fix a flat will work - there was a freakin 5mm allen wrench through the tread....have NO idea how that even got angled to penetrate the tire. The short end was thru the tire and the long end was flush with the tread pattern.
It's worth a try. I've sealed up some flats that I swore would never work, but they held enough to get me somewhere it could be taken care of more easily.

It's also worth getting one of those pumps you run off your lighter. Those have saved me multiple times. It takes a while but better than using a bike pump.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah..I'm already calm down - now see it as a challenge!! I know all about the leverage and cheater bars, the problem is that the cross shaped bar/wrench I have is not that long - the jack handle wrench (much longer) doesn't fit the aftermarket lugs on the wheels. I'm gonna go back after a couple hours and stand on it and give a couple little hops hoping to break them loose. Two have already come loose - only three to go. What sux is that I am going to destroy my work clothes changing the tire. Maybe have someone take me home so i can change and then get a taxi to bring me back OR, I could ride my bike.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Keep one of these in the car - mine came in handy Friday evening. And tell the place who touched your tires last that they're jerkwads. Make them loosen the other lugs and tighten them by hand with a torque wrench to spec.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah..I'm already calm down - now see it as a challenge!! I know all about the leverage and cheater bars, the problem is that the cross shaped bar/wrench I have is not that long - the jack handle wrench (much longer) doesn't fit the aftermarket lugs on the wheels. I'm gonna go back after a couple hours and stand on it and give a couple little hops hoping to break them loose. Two have already come loose - only three to go. What sux is that I am going to destroy my work clothes changing the tire. Maybe have someone take me home so i can change and then get a taxi to bring me back - wife doesn't get home until around 7:30pm so I want to get tire fixed before places start closing.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts