Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, OK, so I do actually drive the kids to daycare, which is roughly 1.1 miles away, and then come back home and park the car in the garage, but I then don my cycling apparel and ride to work.

One way from home to work (and vice-versa) is somewhere between 17 - 18.5 miles or thereabouts (can I be more vague?), and the most I’ve done so far is every other day (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday). However, this week, I am two days into my goal of going five days in a row. I ride hard, by the way, so this needs to be factored in as well.

Anyhow, when all is said and done (assuming everything goes as I have planned) I will have put in 170-185 commuting miles by Friday.

I don’t own a commuter bike, rather I ride this thing:

(so it’s hard to ride slow and leisurely)

So far so good… we’ll see what the week brings.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
OverStuffed said:
Where do you put the fenders? Rack? Baby seat? Trailer? Not even a light? Man, you're lucky we don't throw you out of here. ; )

Have fun with the rest of your week.
Not to mention all those unnecessary drive train complications! :eek:

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Good on ya! For a commute that long, a fast bike is noticeably better/quicker. But I can tell you from 1st hand experience (I also had a 17mi commute for about 9 months at one point), after a week straight of riding hard both ways, you will be toast. Take it easy on the ride home a couple of days. Also, there's nothing worse than a 20+mph headwind on a long commute home.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I agree with JohnnyTooBad. My commute is 18 mi. one way. I tend to leave a little early & just "noodle" into work. I try to average about 13-14 mph. On the way home I work hard. I try for 19-20 ave. including lights, traffic, etc.

Besides the pedals, what I noticed about your bike is that it's waaayyyy too clean for a commuter. Have you no shame? :)

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
MB1 said:
#3 I bet you would find that bike easier to ride if you installed pedals. :D
it's the new fad...you just coast everywhere--fixies are so passe

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Four out of five… I am ready for Friday. Feeling great, just a bit of saddle sore (I still need to get some of that fancy medicated cream stuff for my crotchoidal region). I feel slightly sore in my quadriceps since I am still getting used to the new riding geometry as dialed in by Karl at SVCC. My previous bike was set up more for sprinting, so certain muscles now are seeing more use, and the others are seeing less.

So, by roughly 6:00ish PM tomorrow evening I will have cycled somewhere between 175-180 commuting miles in one week, and have only put 15 miles on my car (3 mile round-trip dropping the toddlerdudes off at daycare before riding to work, five days per week).

Man, I am feeling better and better every day. Headwinds aren’t as annoying as they used to be, but the idiots in the minivans who turn right in front of me still are. I really can see myself solely using my bike for transportation to/from work at least until the weather starts turning to crap in about late October or early November.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.