Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a reminder-Bike To Work Day May 18, 2007!

For some reason folks make a big deal about biking to work one day a year. I’m thinking we ought to have “Bike to Work Life”, but that is just me thinking out loud and getting myself in trouble again……..

Anyway here is my report of the DC and Virginia Bike to Work Festivities :

Normally Miss M and I don’t get to ride to work together unless we are doing a long commute. We are on different morning schedules and work about 3 miles apart separated by some of DCs famous nasty traffic. But we do like to see the hordes out and get some schwag every so often so off we went this morning, riding to work together. We followed Miss M’s usual route through Georgetown and across the Key Bridge into Roslyn where there were some folks standing around (it was one of the Bike to Work sites in Virginia).

People were eating and listening to a pretty funky brass/blues band. The band wasn’t bad; we didn’t try the food having bigger fish to fry.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We try a bit of commuting.

We didn’t hang around the Roslyn stop very long, since we live and work in DC that is where we were headed. I wouldn’t say the Mount Vernon Trail was any busier than usual but I would say that riders seemed to be a little less in control of what they were doing than the usual assortment of commuters we see in the morning.

That is ok though, we know some alternate routes into downtown that avoid the trails. We crossed the Roosevelt Bridge and took the surface streets before cutting in front of the White House. We hit the light just before Freedom Plaza and were treated to the familiar sight of a string of tourists and an unfamiliar sight of a string of cyclists.

Something out of the norm must be going on.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it was quite a sight; likely able to warm this cynical cyclists heart. Literally thousands of cyclists (some singing (I won't say they were good but they weren't bad at all)), piles of food, freebees galore and bikes piled everywhere (some of them quite odd). Not bad at all.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
MB1 said:
For some reason folks make a big deal about biking to work one day a year. I’m thinking we ought to have “Bike to Work Life”, but that is just me thinking out loud and getting myself in trouble again…….
I'm sorry. I'm evil. I have no right to live 32 miles from work, and I am being serious when I say this. But somehow life gets in the way, what with growing families, crazy real estate spikes, and unsure professional futures.

Yes, I need to set up my life so's I can ride to work every day. I'm just not sure what I need to do to force that to happen. It would probably involve divorce, and I don't think I could handle that right now.

Mia Culpe,

FBB

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having a lot of things going on at work Miss M and I didn’t hang around for all that long. Groups of cyclists were still arriving when we left. The organizers announced that there were 6,700 riders, wouldn’t surprise me at all if that were true.

I hope most of them rode home under their own power…..

·
Registered
147 Posts
MB1 said:
Well it was quite a sight; likely able to warm this cynical cyclists heart. Literally thousands of cyclists (some singing (I won't say they were good but they weren't bad at all)), piles of food, freebees galore and bikes piled everywhere (some of them quite odd). Not bad at all.
Geez....The Silver Spring pit stop didn't have a pile of food like that!
(or the crowd!)

·
What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
Regina said:
Geez....The Silver Spring pit stop didn't have a pile of food like that!
(or the crowd!)
I oughta pay attention. I didn't even think to look for a pit stop up here. Of course, I didn't leave till 9:30. I did see a guy near chain bridge who wished me "Happy Bike to Work Day." I'd forgotten till then (It was about 6:30). The C & O and the Custis trial were very light in the evening, though. I saw more bikes downtown and on my way back up to Silver Spring, though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What a great sight!

That looked like a festival, bands, bike, food, cyclists.
I rode my bike to work here in South Florida for the first time on Wednesday as part of Bike to Work Week. I can tell you there were not bands, no food, no other cyclists, nothing.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DC has a huge number of cycle commuters.

In addition to bike messengers, students and poor folks there are a lot of mid-level professionals who commute. There is a very active advocacy group (Washingtom Area Bicyclists Association WABA) and government bicycling offices and of course bicycle police and lots of Secret Service officers on bikes.

Not to mention John Kerry and George Bush both ride.

Lot of cycling going on in this town.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
MB1 said:
We were expecting (and getting) lots of cyclists and lots of free goodies.
I celebrated ride to work day by slicing the tread on my rear tire. It is about a 1.5" gash that peeled the tread away. It is an armadillo so it didn't go flat. I did have two manapuas, one with char su and the other one with spam and cheese.

·
Registered
32 Posts
9th St NW Southbound

South of Mass Ave., and north of Constitution, this street has an entire lane devoted to bikes and buses. Has anyone tried riding in the bike lane on 9th St? It is FULL of cars despite being clearly marked as existing soley for the use of bikes and buses. :mad2:

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
I worked the Alexandria stop last year MB and I don't know if you remember but it poured the whole day. We still probably had 250 people go through there, but it was nowhere near the party you guys have going on there. I was out of town all week learning how to fight forest fires so I missed Bike to Work day this year....I was a little bummed. Looks like a good time was had by all.

·
Registered
595 Posts
KendleFox said:
I looked up this word in the dictionary, but apparently cant find it... :(
free crap. hats, t-shirts, pens, water bottles.

the typical junk with a sponsor's insignia that doesn't represent anything really useful minus the fact that it's free.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.