Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DC area has a great network of MUTs and bike lanes that has grown over the years to something quite amazing. As the network has grown so has the bike commuter community. There are so many bike commuters that the place doesn't really need any kind of special day for bike commuting but we have one anyway......

We left the house early enough to beat rush hour and headed over to our first pit stop in Rosslyn. The joint was jumping!

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The number of cyclists stopping in Rosslyn and the services and tents there were amazing but we couldn't spend much time there if we were going to hit as many pit stops as we planned.

Our next stop was back over the river in Georgetown.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Georgetown wasn't anywhere near as busy as Rosslyn but the food they were handing out was crazy high end.

Next stop; Downtown (but first we had to ride by the local public housing).

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Normally the downtown pit stop is the largest one around but as large as it is I think this year Rosslyn was larger and had a lot more going on.

I wonder if it is because DC no longer has a mayor that rides?

No matter, it was still great.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What with our early start we still had some time before the pit stops closed down so we headed up the Hill and over to the SW Waterfront to check out a couple of smaller pit stops.

Yes they are smaller but the energy was still high.

BTW did I mention that in DC everybody rides?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was nice but it was time to head home.

Fish for dinner?

BTW with traffic like this why don't more folks ride?

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Ride to retired day, cheaters. I wish I could ride to work here, it's possible but incredibly dangerous due to industrial parks, bad neighborhood that is unavoidable, and the fact I'd have to lock my bike up outside.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I need to visit DC on Bike to Work Day! We got a free cup of coffee and fruit salad at our event. It was good coffee tho.
Miss M picked up a half dozen cards good for a free (any size) coffee at Dean and Deluca in Georgetown.

BTW if you come bring you largest pack or set of panniers, you'll need it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quite the collection for a poacher. Its an indication of a solid commuting (by bike) populace that you (anyone) can collect that much swag.

I had to be in early all week, and wouldn't have been able to swing by a single of the local stops even if I'd been on a normal schedule, but I enjoyed my miles anyway. Coworkers laughed at my 18 mph headwinds on the way home Thursday and Friday, but Friday's commute ended at happy hour so I laughed last. Thanks for the pics of infrastructure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.