Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Dude, that hurts just to look at!
How much you likin' the frame and how much is a tube replacement and paint job costing?
Compare that to the cost of a frameset of your liking and like flip a coin. It seems you can find another DeRosa of like vintage at a resonable price on e-bay, unless there is some emotional attachment to this one.
What happened?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not my (un)doing...

Had something to do with being backed into.
Picked it up second-hand, as is. Bike is a shade too big for me, but I almost can't bear to just part it out, and trash a De Rosa frame. Planned on moving Campy components (all) to my Colnago, to replace S-105s.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Get it fixed. It's not a huge job. That's the beauty of steel. I don't know where you are, but Matt Assenmacher specializes in these kinds of repairs. He does wonderful work, and his prices are very reasonable. Google him. He's near Flint, Mi.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry

Besides the frame divot, the fork crown is probably the most disappointing part of the bike. The rest of the chrome looks good. Previous owner started removing the paint on the fork, and the upper legs look chromed, too(?). I'm still researching, but I believe bike is a 1986 Pro. SLX.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I'll llook him up

Mr. Versatile said:
Get it fixed. It's not a huge job. That's the beauty of steel. I don't know where you are, but Matt Assenmacher specializes in these kinds of repairs. He does wonderful work, and his prices are very reasonable. Google him. He's near Flint, Mi.
I've found a few people that will fix for a reasonable price, but that, plus a paint job, has me thinking of just finding another decent frame to just build up.
But the De Rosa. Kind of like the dog at the pound who has a bad hip, few hours away from saying Goodnight.

·
Registered
27,619 Posts
Yes, he did.

CurbDestroyer said:
Didn't Moreno Argentin ride a DeRosa like that before he got sponsored by Bianchi?
I have a picture of it out of Winning Magazine around 1990-91. Argentin won the Tour of Flanders and Fleche Wallone on it. It looks just like the one above, "Ugo blue." In support of his philosophy of long top tubes--or Argentin's short legs, this frame had a 52.5 seat tube and 54 cm top tube. He had Campy Record on it, including rat trap pedals, Selle Italia Turbo saddle, 53/41-13-23 gearing, 32--or is that 36 spoked box section tubular rims for those cobbles up in Flanders.

Damn shame about that downtube! Get it fixed! If the frame's too big for you, pass it on to someone taller! You'll probably make back what you invested.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pic?

Fredrico said:
I have a picture of it out of Winning Magazine around 1990-91. Argentin won the Tour of Flanders and Fleche Wallone on it. It looks just like the one above, "Ugo blue." In support of his philosophy of long top tubes--or Argentin's short legs, this frame had a 52.5 seat tube and 54 cm top tube. He had Campy Record on it, including rat trap pedals, Selle Italia Turbo saddle, 53/41-13-23 gearing, 32--or is that 36 spoked box section tubular rims for those cobbles up in Flanders.

Damn shame about that downtube! Get it fixed! If the frame's too big for you, pass it on to someone taller! You'll probably make back what you invested.
Thanks; I really feel I should fix. The rims I have are Mavic GP-4 tubs, laced to Campy (?).
You wouldn't happen to have that pic to upload, would you?

·
Registered
27,619 Posts
Sorry!

RichardHead said:
Thanks; I really feel I should fix. The rims I have are Mavic GP-4 tubs, laced to Campy (?).
You wouldn't happen to have that pic to upload, would you?
I don't have a digital camera or I'd take a pic of the article and download it. Winning Magazine is now a Dutch publication devoted to, I''m not making this up, racing pigeons.

A quick google reveals that Argentin first rode a DeRosa, basically the same as yours but perhaps using the earlier Columbus SL tubing, for the Ariostea team in 1982. By '89, he was still riding (and winning!) on DeRosas. Your bike with the exposed chrome fork, DeRosa decal on the top tube and SLX tubing, was probably built between 1986 and 1989.

You could probably get a new tube, paint and decals from guys like Assenmacher or Cycle Art, maybe even a fresh coat of chrome on that fork.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Fredrico said:
Winning Magazine is now a Dutch publication devoted to, I''m not making this up, racing pigeons.

huh?! winning magazine became triathlon or triathlete or trisomething... I know this because they transferred my subscription to that irrelevant rag that it became

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.