Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG, I FEEL ABSOLUTLY DEAD AFTER A 40-60mi. RIDE.
I EAT THE USUAL (OATMEAL, JUICE, TOAST, EGGS, ALL OR A MIXTURE OF THESE).
BUT WHEN I'M FINISHED WITH THE RIDE, I REALLY FEEL LIKE I AM JUST EXHAUSTED AND NEED TO HIT THE BED FOR ABOUT 2hrs... ANY HELP/IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT!!!
THANKS

·
Registered
174 Posts
First off, all caps is the correct etiquette for SCREAMING AT EVERYONE. All lowers is less offensive.

If you're eating all that junk before an hour-long ride (or less), your body's telling you that you're f*cking up by the numbers. If it's a morning ride--which I'm assuming it is based on your choice of food--then you needn't eat anything at all, no matter how hard you're hammering; your body's stores from the previous day will provide more than enough fuel for your system/muscles on a ride that short. Eating/drinking all that just before a ride is a recipe for disaster; your body simply cannot digest that quantity of food while exercising so soon thereafter. Skip the food and see how you feel. I guarantee a positive difference.

That's a pretty ridiculous meal for a ride of that length. The pros eat big, healthy breakfasts, too, but they're about two or more hours before a race/training ride begins. Blimey!

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Dude, knock off the caps lock key. No need to shout.

Do you eat on these rides? The liver has only so much glycogen... when you run out you "bonk". Depending on the person and the intensity of the riding, it takes between 1-2 hours to bonk. When your body runs low on glycogen, your brain (which runs on the stuff) gets slow. For a ride this length I eat at least a Powerbar (in nibbles over an hour or so) and a bottle of sports drink. I carry more food than that in case I need it, and I often do. This is after a really good breakfast.

Even with enough food I'll often want to take a nap after a long hard ride (after a shower and some food of course).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Eric,

Methinks thou doth eat too much. The original poster talked about a 40-60-minute ride. Based on what you said about it taking 1-2 hours to bonk, why then would anyone need 300-400+ calories during a ride that short. Just not needed and, frankly, a quick way not to lose weight while exercising. Even if someone's burning 700 calories an hour--moving fairly quickly--they'll only lose half of that due to the food they're eating/drinking during that exercise. Most importantly, the body will not be able to access most of that ingested energy until the very end of the ride--when it's not needed anymore. I'm talking from experience here. Eating before a longer ride (say, 3-6 hours) can certainly be beneficial, especially if it's a fast-paced ride or race, but for shorter rides, the body simply can't digest and access it quickly enough while exercising. Basic science. If you're "nibbling" on a Powerbar over the course of the hour-long ride, your body will be able to access that energy/calories about a half hour after you've hopped off the bike and showered off. Unnecessary and, frankly, silly.

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
ericm979 said:

Do you eat on these rides? The liver has only so much glycogen... when you run out you "bonk". Depending on the person and the intensity of the riding, it takes between 1-2 hours to bonk. When your body runs low on glycogen, your brain (which runs on the stuff) gets slow. For a ride this length I eat at least a Powerbar (in nibbles over an hour or so) and a bottle of sports drink. I carry more food than that in case I need it, and I often do. This is after a really good breakfast.

Even with enough food I'll often want to take a nap after a long hard ride (after a shower and some food of course).
Ain't nothin' better than a quick lunch and a nap after a long ride..

I usually ride for about 4-5 hours (with breaks) on weekends and feel tired afterwards. I eat before and during rides. I only eat a Cliff bar and banana for breakfast. There is nothing wrong with feeling tired. I think of it as a good thing because I know that I've trained enough for the day.
Just make sure that you eat half a bar or so 30 minute before your ride ends so that you don't binge eat. Well, it works IME.

·
Registered
36 Posts
ericm979 said:

1-2 hours to bonk? Are you kidding? Unless you're putting out world class numbers (i.e., 450-500 W for an hour), you won't bonk in an hour. Even on my tempo rides (3.5 W/kg or so) of 2 hours or more I'm having nothing more than Gatorade. I burn 850-900 kcal/hour on those rides.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
GiantNigel said:
Eric,

Methinks thou doth eat too much. The original poster talked about a 40-60-minute ride. Based on what you said about it taking 1-2 hours to bonk, why then would anyone need 300-400+ calories during a ride that short. .

I took the original poster's "40-60mi." to be 40-60 miles, not minutes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You know, you just may have a point there (but it wouldn't show if you wore a hat! Just kidding!!). I may've mixed my abbreviations. My bad. You speak sense, then, if we're talking about a 40-60-mile ride. :) Cheers.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
tigermilk said:
1-2 hours to bonk? Are you kidding?
Nope. My wife, a recreational cyclist, needs to eat every hour on her long rides. The amount of power one puts out is immaterial. In fact, the less highly trained you are, the less time you will be able to go before bonking, generally speaking. Endurance training also trains your body to burn proportionally more fat at an endurance pace, and to be more efficient. Of course everyone is different and you have to experiment to find out what works for you.
For me, 2 hours with no calories (no sports drink) is about where I start feeling like I'd better eat something soon. With a bottle of drink, 2.5 hours is fine. Past that and I carry food. For a long time I thought that eating too much on rides would just make me fat and going hungry would make me "tougher". But a few years ago I realized that struggling in the last 10 miles starving and pedalling squares was just wasting time, so I bring enough food now.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
I can't stand riding with much in my stomach. I'm fine with just a bottle of drink per hour up to about 3 to 3.5 hours. If I'm going for more than that I nibble. If you're dead after 40 to 60 miles it probably means you need to do more to build up your endurance. Intensity of effort, weather and terrain can be big factors too. Hell I'm dead after 40 or 60 miles too if I ride hard enough on challenging terrain or in nasty weather.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Lee(a)ding question

Telling us what you ate and then telling us you feel tired after a 40-60mi ride? We can't opine on a solution until we know what sort of training you have done. I'd feel the same way if I went out and rode that far at this time of year. What you are experiencing I would not consider a bonk. Bonks are characterized by feeling shaky, slightly disoriented, bike skills start to diminish. Needing sleep is not one of the(my) symptoms. Now I have felt the need for sleep after a tough ride, sort of a power nap, and if I do it is very hot outside.

Perhaps if you gave us some leads on your training regimen, others can point out what you need to do to make the whole experience more enjoyable and not debilitating. Base training, or lack of, might have alot to do with your experience.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The only thing you can do is ride more. Work toward 80-100mi. Then 40-60mi would be a lot easier. It's not just about physical conditioning. You have to train your brain to have more endurance as well. Train the brain to be more positive and stay focused for longer periods of time. Of course always experiment a little with food intake to fine tune proper nutrition. What works for some may not work for you. You may want to incorporate some more protein and fat into your breakfast as well. I have a good ole southern breakfast before my long days. Meaning eggs, sausage, grits, toast, jelly. I just give it a little time to soak in before I go. I save the oatmeal and cereal breakfast on my lesser days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Find out what works for you and your body

ROGER79 said:
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG, I FEEL ABSOLUTLY DEAD AFTER A 40-60mi. RIDE.
I EAT THE USUAL (OATMEAL, JUICE, TOAST, EGGS, ALL OR A MIXTURE OF THESE).
BUT WHEN I'M FINISHED WITH THE RIDE, I REALLY FEEL LIKE I AM JUST EXHAUSTED AND NEED TO HIT THE BED FOR ABOUT 2hrs... ANY HELP/IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT!!!
THANKS
Train...train...train and train some more. I agree with the other posters and you don't need that level of intake before a ride. A good sports drink, some Cliff bars or a handful of raisins or some Hammergel mixed in your drink should do the trick. I used to seriously crash after as little as 25 miles, but by actually eating less but paying more attention to what I was eating...eggs, half a bagel, banana really do the trick. I also mix up a big batch of macaroni and cheese and eggs and it's great for recovery. I use an old fashioned recipe where you put eggs in the mac and cheese. Scoop some in a bowl and nuke it in the microwave and chow down. Pay attention to getting as much nutrition back into your system and rehydrating in that 60 minute window after a hard ride. Yeah there are times I just want to lay down and sleep, but if I push past that, then I feel better in the long run. I'm up to 50-60 miles on Fridays and and another 50-60 on Saturdays and don't feel anywhere near the bonk I use to. Also try packing along a handful of fig newtons, just as good and good for you as expensive speciality bars. Best thing I did on the drink side was get powdered or liquid concentrated Gatorade and experiment with my own special mix. I add a dose or two of HammerGel and find I can keep going and going at a good clip.

Bottom line...find the right mix of carbs, protein and don't forget potassium that works for you and really pay attention to the liquids and you'll be eyeing a century in no time.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
ericm979 said:
Nope. My wife, a recreational cyclist, needs to eat every hour on her long rides. The amount of power one puts out is immaterial. In fact, the less highly trained you are, the less time you will be able to go before bonking, generally speaking. Endurance training also trains your body to burn proportionally more fat at an endurance pace, and to be more efficient. Of course everyone is different and you have to experiment to find out what works for you.
Absolutely right. "Bonk time" is different between riders- and even for the same rider on different days/conditions. For example, most would agree that poor diet for 2-3 days before a big ride is a prescription for a bad time in the saddle. Many take extra food on long rides "just in case" they feel extra hungry that day.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THANKS FOR THE HELP... Oops Sorry about the cap thing. I'll try the suggestions and report back.
Thanks Again

·
Registered
543 Posts
You are eating way too much too soon before a ride. If you need to eat soon before a ride eat foods that are more easily digestable like whole grains or fruit. A couple of fig bars are good. Maybe a small bowl of cereal with half a banana. During your ride maybe every hour eat some kind of energy bar or again some fig bars. At the end of your ride if you worked hard enough you should feel tired but not to the point of immediatly passing out. Generally I take a nap after a long tough ride but usually can stay awake for an hour or so or not take a nap at all if I have something I have to get done. I have bonked on rides. I get to the point where I lose concentration and lose the ability to push myself to any degree other than just staying on the bike and making it back to the lot at a pretty slow pace.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Not much info in the original post so I may be way off - how 'bout a visit to your friendly neighbourhood physician - ensure it's not a medical thing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
pasta!!

I find that if i eat a plate of pasta for breakfest prior to my ride and a energy bar during I am always bonk free and feel pretty good after a ride or the same lenth.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts