Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone may know what happened to my fairly new chain... it seems dead/cooked.
Like to know if anyone has had similar issues ...and perhaps how to avoid future chain problem

I have ridden/raced for a long long time (many years) and I never had this happen before. I really would like to figure out why.

Chain is a Wipperman 10 sp stainless steel model. It has only got about 1500km riding on it. Running it on a Colnago C50/ Campagnolo 10 speed Record/ the cassette is Record. When I was riding last night the chain started to suddenly get stiff links in various spots. There was no previous indications of even one stiff link on any previous rides. I actually had to turn back after 50km as the chain was jumping so badly. The chain has been kept very well serviced and always clean with adequate chain lube/lubricants on it. I cleaned/washed it off with a degreaser solution and re-lubricated but various links are still stiff (in approx 5 or 6 spots) and they don't seem to want to loosen up either. Chain seems cooked at this point. Any ideas what gives with this?

I have on hand a new Camapagnolo 10 sp ultra narrow 5.9 chain that I can put on but this Wipperman one should have had way more life in it. I liked the Wipperman chains as they have the connex link with them that makes service very easy.

Thanks.

campagnoloneutron
ogni epoca ha un campione | ogni campione ha una Colnago

·
Registered
59 Posts
Same issue...

with a Wipperman nickel plated 10. Brand new build with a Campy Chorus 10 drivetrain with Centaur cassette and only about 250 miles on the whole set up. Chain was cleaned and well lubed but started making a lot of racket on my Saturday ride. Stopped and found it was a stiff link. Can home and cleaned and lubed again.

Sunday ride, chain started to act up again. When I got it home, there were literally 5-6 links that were stiff. Once I would get one fixed, 2 more would pop up. Got so frustrated I went ahead and replaced the chain.

I've never had this happen with a chain before. Would love to know what is up with this.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmm...

Only two of us so far but it sounds like there may be a manufacturing/production issue. I dont like to jump to conclusions but at least its more than just me. Anyone else?

Anyway, that is what I was kind of thinking as it is such an odd thing to happen.

campagnoloneutron
ogni epoca ha un campione | ogni campione ha una Colnago

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
How are you cleaning/lubing?

Take it off and submerse it in home-brew, that gets lube through the whole thing.

Use mineral spirits to clean, and keep water and any water based degreasers away from your chain.

BTW, Campy ultra-narrow is the shizzit.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Heaven forefend a recall.

Reading between the lines of the June 1 news release below, it appears that Wippermann is aware of a chain assembly problem.

Wippermann Introduces Production Tracking

JUNE 01, 2006 -- HAGEN, Germany (BRAIN)—Effective immediately, Wippermann will initiate the use of new materials and processes to increase the wear and flexibility of its high-performance bicycle chains.

The company will use a slightly less hard pin so that pressure against the chain plate is reduced in the assembly process. For the plates, the hardening procedure has been modified to allow a more flexible structure. To track production, Wippermann will now stamp each chain with a number to identify quarterly production period.

“The tracking number is important in the event of production problems or, heaven forefend, any recall. It will allow Wippermann to trace the production problem to a particular production period,” said Tom Petrie, president of Velimpex Marketing, exclusive Wippermann sales agents for the United States and Canada.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Wipperman problems

campagnoloneutron said:
I have on hand a new Camapagnolo 10 sp ultra narrow 5.9 chain that I can put on but this Wipperman one should have had way more life in it. I liked the Wipperman chains as they have the connex link with them that makes service very easy.
I used the Wipperman stainless 10X1 for 2 years, probably 6-8 chains in that time frame. I had no problems until I went looking for them! After reading about several instances of cracked chains in this forum, I had a look at the current Wipperman in use at the time and there were small cracks forming at 2 pin locations. Have a good hard look at the affected links on your chain and see if there are any signs of cracking at the pins.

FWIW, I have been using a Campy Chorus Ultra-Narrow chain, connected with the 6.05 mm width Shimano-compatible Wipperman link. It has over 2000 km on it, lots of hard riding and is performing very well. This will now be my new standard setup, Campy UN with Wipperman Shimano link.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had this happen to one of my Wipperman chains and have seen it happen to three other riders, four Wippermans in all. I do not think it is a lube (or lack of) problem. I was guessing that maybe some of the pins were too soft and deforming under load. Could this be a possiblity anyone?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.