Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you get dead cartridges now then?

Had one from the Crossman box I picked up at Walmart. Good thing I had spares. I've not had this occur before, now it has me thinking a mini pump may be good to have on longer jaunts.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Country of origin?

Kuma601 said:

Had one from the Crossman box I picked up at Walmart. Good thing I had spares. I've not had this occur before, now it has me thinking a mini pump may be good to have on longer jaunts.
Made in China? Maybe the cartridges got sick and died from eating Chinese baby formula or from playing with lead-coated toys. :)

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
I've not had it, but I've heard of it from a buddy or two.

The constant to this discussion that I never quite understand is if something isn't reliable, so you choose to carry a backup that works 100% of the time...

Why bother with the something?

Get a good minipump, don't bother with the CO2.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
danl1 said:
The constant to this discussion that I never quite understand is if something isn't reliable, so you choose to carry a backup that works 100% of the time...
Why bother with the something?
I've been saying this for years, and as far as I know, I haven't convinced one person. A good framefit pump, like a Zefal, will never let you down. My first one lasted 20 years until I ran over it with my truck, and the second one is at least five or six years old.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Kuma601 said:

I think C02 are a total waste. I see young newbies, using those, freezing their hand to the cartridge, blowing the tire off the rim, wasting a cartridge with a bad seal on the valve, and just plain flatting a good tube when a glass was not found in the tire. Some newbs think they dont need a pump if they have 2 C02s. I call them walkers.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
danl1 said:
Exactly, get a full sized frame pump. :D

·
Registered
962 Posts
i like CO2. I have been using it exclusively since I came over from the fat tires.

Off hand I can recall using CO2 to fill up a tire 6 times without issue.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I carry a CO2 unit. And a mini-pump on one, and a Silca Impero frame-fitting pump on my vintage machine. If I'm shagged-out from the ride and have a ways to go - I'll use the CO2. Other then that - the pump. Simple as that.

By the by - Crossman CO2 carts are usually associated with air-guns by the same maker. I used to have those - both pistol and rifle. The Crossman cartridges for those were notorious for being nearly empty or leak.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I love CO2's, but must confess I have messed up more than once using them for whatever reason.
I carry two CO2's and a mini-pump backup. Call it superstition, but since carrying the backup pump, I haven't had a CO2 problem.:thumbsup:

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
I've been a frame pump user and CO2 user. I'm only CO2 now. I carry about five cartridges in my wedge pack. "Knock on wood" but I've never run out of cartrigdes on the road. If I'm on a long ride, I might toss an extra or two in my back pocket. I also carry a presta/schraeder converter in case I need to hit a gas station.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I get a dud every now and then. Maybe a few times a year. I always pack 3 or 4 and a mini to seat the tire..I would not rely on co2 by itself..

·
Registered
62 Posts
wow them things realy work?how many does it take to fill a 700cx28 tube?man beacase the frame pump i have wore me out using it

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
What I do

rabidfox said:
wow them things realy work?how many does it take to fill a 700cx28 tube?man beacase the frame pump i have wore me out using it

I use a mini (just about anyone will work) to seat the tire, pump about 40 strokes to get me up to around 30- 40 psi then finish off with a 12g co2..been doing it for years..the best way is to use a couple of cheap 12g cartridges and experiment in your garage a few times..

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
The problem is..

Cory said:
I've been saying this for years, and as far as I know, I haven't convinced one person. A good framefit pump, like a Zefal, will never let you down. My first one lasted 20 years until I ran over it with my truck, and the second one is at least five or six years old.

I agree about a good frame pump, I pack a full length Blackburn on my old Master X-Light. The problem is some of the new bikes can't accommodate a full length frame pump...so you have to go with something else..

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Dinosaur said:
I use a mini (just about anyone will work) to seat the tire, pump about 40 strokes to get me up to around 30- 40 psi then finish off with a 12g co2..been doing it for years..the best way is to use a couple of cheap 12g cartridges and experiment in your garage a few times..

+ eleventy

·
Registered
638 Posts
I use pumps on two of my bikes and CO2's on the other 2 bikes. One time when I had a flat I had replaced the tube and then was going to reinflate it with the CO2. I was using an Innovations Ultraflate holder and when I pressed the trigger to let the air in nothing came out. I wasn't sure what was wrong since I'd never had a bad CO2 before. I happened to have the bottom plastic holder pointing away from me while I started to unscrew it. All of the sudden the thing fires off like a missle and shoots off about 30 yards away! [email protected], sure glad I didn't have it pointing up at my face!

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Dinosaur said:
I agree about a good frame pump, I pack a full length Blackburn on my old Master X-Light. The problem is some of the new bikes can't accommodate a full length frame pump...so you have to go with something else..
Reason number 4,563 on the 'why compact frames are stupid' list. :D

But seriously, a minipump works fine, if chosen well and used properly. It's not as if the 90 seconds saved by gassing instead of pumping (added to the rest of the tube-changing exercise) really changes the outcome of the day.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
danl1 said:
Reason number 4,563 on the 'why compact frames are stupid' list. :D

But seriously, a minipump works fine, if chosen well and used properly. It's not as if the 90 seconds saved by gassing instead of pumping (added to the rest of the tube-changing exercise) really changes the outcome of the day.

I have a new Lezyne Road Drive on my newer carbon bike. I'ts the best mini pump I've ever had. I have not had a flat since I put it on my bike. :aureola:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts