Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well another one of my inkjet printer died...printer head clogged again...on top of it I just replaced all the ink cartridges...another $60+ wasted...

As I'm throwing the dead printer out I am looking at this less than 2 year old printer and thinking this thing looks practically brand new... there is nothing wrong with it except the non-replaceable print head's clogged.. I'm thinking what a waste... I know that some models they basically give away the printers just to make money selling the ink cartridges but disposable printer just seems like such a waste (btw my printer costed something like $160...) Apparently from what I read from different review sources I'm not the only one who's going thru printers like this...

I think regardless of the bottom line profit these things should be made better/ efficient reflecting the actual energy/ material required to manufacture them and the environmental effects the manufacturing process causes.... especially here in US since we don't require the manufacturers to collect their dead products and recycle them. I seems such a waste to throw out perfectly good printers because print heads clog....modern day waste...

What else besides printers do we throw out prematurely?

Btw now I have a printer with replaceable print heads... now I also have a new fax printer (as my fax machine also died) that takes just one large black ink toner... it only prints in black and the toner seems to last forever. Now I use the color/ photo printers only when I need color or photo prints and I'm saving big on ink cartridges...besides I buy the aftermarket refilled toner at a fraction of the cost of orig cartridges... also for one of my Canon printer I can get the $3 refilled ink cartridges... but Canon's discontinuing all the printer models that can take these cheap refilled cartridges though... now their newer models take the new Canon ink cartridges only and these inks are supposedly more permanant...the most refillers haven't been able to refill these cartridges and probably can't match the new type of Canon ink compositions....

·
Registered
320 Posts
My printers are generally disposable. I use them until they run out of ink/toner and then I toss them. I buy printers when they are on sale for $10AR or get them free for buying other stuff (great excuse to buy a new computer :D )

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
I'm still using a LaserJet 4L that I bought at the same time as my Pentium 90 (which had the floating point bug). I think I bought them in 1992. Yup, my 14 year old printer works just fine. I got rid of the P90 in 2000. :p

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Generally speaking, I hate printers. I've tried different brands. I've tried cheap, medium priced & expensive. IMO, if anything is going to go wrong, or not work, it'll be the printer.

I've always had ink-jets, & I've refilled my own cartridges for years without problems.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My Canon Multipas F80 is at least 6 years old and stil going strong. And their support was great when I had software snafus when I purchased this Crappy Dell Laptop about 4 years ago. It might be worth your while to try one.

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Centuryx3 said:
My Canon Multipas F80 is at least 6 years old and stil going strong. And their support was great when I had software snafus when I purchased this Crappy Dell Laptop about 4 years ago. It might be worth your while to try one.
Yeah I've switched to Canon from Epsons... I have three Canon printers now...and I like them better so far...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts