Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been saving up for "something different" and was going to get a Moots or Merlin (currently on a Madone 5.2) - until I stopped by one of my favorite LBS and saw a Spez. Roubaix from last year (I think) at a nice markdown. The bike is a S-Works model and is Black/White w/DA components on Roval wheels. Originally marked at $6000 - currently asking $4600, and the head of the shop offered it to me for $4000. Seems like almost too good a deal to pass up - even if I was thinking US made Ti might just be "century cycling nirvana".

So - is $4k a good deal? Good enough to think about saving the $1k +/- I would spend additionally building my dream Ti?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Get the Moots or Merlin. Bikes from Trek and Specialized , while nice bikes, are just the "flavor of the month" to me. An American made titanium bike no matter how old it gets will always have a certain "cool" factor. Kind of like an old Porsche 911. Doesn't matter how old it is it's a 911 for cryin out loud. That being said I admit to being the owner of an Orbea Opal wonder bike. But I've also got a 1992 Merlin. I still freakin LOVE my Merlin. Can't say how I'll feel about the Orbea 17 years from now.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I second the vote for a high quality Moots/Merlin. I worked at a shop that sold Merlin's...liked the older frames better than the newer, but that's just me. Love Moots! Our house currently has a Moots Vamoots, Psychlo X, MootoX YBB and a YBB SL. You could say we are sold on them.

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
To answer your question - that is a good price on the Roubaix. The Roubaix will also hold you in good stead for centuries.
It does not have the cache of a custom Ti bike due to the popularity of Specialized - but that is a good deal on a very good bike.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the replies. The price was the biggest factor in perking my interest - just seems like a good deal (probably closer to $2k saved) on a setup similar to what I am planning for my next ride - except for the wheels. So, while it seems like a great way to save some $$, I guess I'll keep saving for my goal of getting a Moots.

spastook - I agree on the 911's - however I prefer the 993 series and the current 998's. I'm a Cayman driver currently and looking/drooling for a 911 to trade for.

BTW - if anyone is interested, the Spez is a 56cm frame and just sitting in the shop in Redding, CA waiting for an owner.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I agree with all here. Moots, Merlin, Tommasini, Lynsky, etc. They're just above Spec, trek, and such. I think youll be really happy with your choice to keep saving. Saving the cash on a Roubaix would be nice but only till you see some guy on a sweet Ti bike a month later.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
B15serv said:
I agree with all here. Moots, Merlin, Tommasini, Lynsky, etc. They're just above Spec, trek, and such. I think youll be really happy with your choice to keep saving. Saving the cash on a Roubaix would be nice but only till you see some guy on a sweet Ti bike a month later.
Not much in the way of Ti here - I live in a rather rural part of Northern California. I see most of the nice Ti bikes at the century rides I participate in. That and of course here on RBR :D

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I'd get the Roubaix over a Ti frame, especially if you plan to ride centuries on rough nor cal roads. But I am looking at it from the perspective of how it rides, not how exclusive it is.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Eric gives some good advice but id also take into thought that although the roubaix was built for all day comfort it doesnt take away from the ride quality of another bike. Ti and steel are known for the quality of ride over long distances while the Roubaix is simply a carbon bike that was made for comfort instead of overall stiffness. I guess that what im saying is that although a Lambo Gallardo is fast as hell, my car isnt any slower because the lambo exsists.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ericm979 said:
I'd get the Roubaix over a Ti frame, especially if you plan to ride centuries on rough nor cal roads. But I am looking at it from the perspective of how it rides, not how exclusive it is.
Yep - centuries are "my thing".....did 5 nor Cal events last year with 8 planned for this year (and ride/train 4-6 days a week). Last years events were done on my Madone 5.2 Performance and had no problems - except for a few nicks/scratches from being dropped by a "bike valet" at Mt. Shasta (which is why I was thinking Ti so the frame would be safe in crowded environments like DR and Chico Wildflower where there are upwards of 3000 riders). Just explaining my intentions and thought process.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts