Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 40 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
That head mask sort of freaks me out. Be strong.
It freaked me out at first as I am sometimes a bit closetphobic[sic]. Mr first MRI sent my heart rate into zone 1 Now I see it as my friend. When the machine fires up I always tell it "Do your magic please" When the radiation is going on you can't swallow or move your throat. I'm paranoid about that and feel like every heartbeat is moving my face inches, the brain is a strange thing. Thanks for the wishes.

I have found it helps to keep your eyes open. More sensory perception controls the panic a lot. I see why they blindfold prisoners to unsettle them.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
And it will suck afterwards, when you beat it, that people will ask "how are you feeling" with that morbid, walking in a cemetery tone.
This is so damn true. Once a week a friend of mine back east calls, it's the same thing. "How are you feeling" I think he expects me to announce my impending death one of these days.

I'm a stage one ovarian cancer survivor. Sock, you and I are very lucky people -- early detection! Treatment may suck, but you can and will come through this.

·
Registered
69,526 Posts
This is so damn true. Once a week a friend of mine back east calls, it's the same thing. "How are you feeling" I think he expects me to announce my impending death one of these days.

I'm a stage one ovarian cancer survivor. Sock, you and I are very lucky people -- early detection! Treatment may suck, but you can and will come through this.
A lady I worked with was diagnosed with breast cancer and has undergone treatment for it. she breezed through the chemo and radiation treatments and never stopped working. Strong lady.

My dermatologist recently found four spots on me, two on my face and two on my hand. I used a chemo cream on my face and it was very unpleasant. I spent 5 weeks doing very little more than sitting in a chair, too tired and weak to really care. I can't imagine how hard it is to undergo treatment for the real deal. You all have my admiration and best wishes.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My friends dad got diagnosed with stage 2 throat cancer 2 yrs ago. He's 70. Went through chemo and radiation, came out cancer free after all of it so don't give up hope.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
the only advise i can give comes from the perspective of a guy that has never had to deal with a diagnosis on himself. But I have watched both sisters pull through diagnosis and treatment. My youngest, 3 times, three different cancers. I can only wish you strength and health for the future, Remember, we really are here for you, we are real people behind our avatars and nicknames and many of us care very deeply about the subject and our imaginary fiends. Fight it with all your heart and soul and remember, we are here to listen and do what we can.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Joe Biden's son, Beau, died yesterday of brain cancer. He was 46. Bummer.
I'm sure the OP appreciates you bringing that depressing tidbit into the thread; I'm sure they have not been bombarded by wall-to-wall news coverage about it.:rolleyes:

You must be a hit at parties, we need to hang. Digits, pronto.

·
Registered
951 Posts
My wife was diagnosed with cancer about six months ago. I lost 20 pounds and could not sleep. My wife was more worried about me than herself. I am 68 and she is 65. We got married when I was 22.
She had cancer of the uterus. First the bad news. The lab found an aggressive cancer after the surgery. Now the good news. It was stage 1A. The lympth nodes were clean. Since it was an aggressive cancer, they gave her three radiation treatments and 4 chemo treatments. Two months ago her scan came back clean.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'm sure the OP appreciates you bringing that depressing tidbit into the thread; I'm sure they have not been bombarded by wall-to-wall news coverage about it.:rolleyes:

You must be a hit at parties, we need to hang. Digits, pronto.
No worries, Scoop is welcome to put that here. Yes people die of this disease and now I know, more that than I did two weeks ago. Beau sounds like a wonderful person. I am sure he was genuine when he spoke of his family and that speaks volumes about him. I see this as a way to refocus and put my priorities in line. Cycling comes in about 10th.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
My Mom is 83, I haven't told her this news. I live thousands of miles away from her and this isn't something she needs to be worried about. She is a classic worrier and would be more worried about it than I am, or at least she would let it affect her as if it were that case. Is keeping news like this away from a parent not a bad idea.

Obviously my kids, they won't hear anything from me about how or what is making Daddy need some work for his sore throat. My wife just asked them to cut me some slack when I get tired. I haven't yet felt especially tired.

TOG, Snap thanks for the stories. I know you both so well through the years ( we have never met) stuff like that really is appreciated.

Daniell, great news. Wchevron, likewise, great news. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The interesting and comforting thing is that dealing with a lot of cancers is different today then 30-40 years ago. I was diagnosed with Chronic Leukemia 15 mos. ago and if it hadn't been an aggressive version, I might have gone 20 years before having to deal with it. This is currently a disease that has no cure, only treatments to manage. So I just finished 6 mos. of chemo that was a very targeted treatment with relatively mild to moderate side effects, though cycling has taught me how to deal with suffering so maybe the treatments might have been worse for a non cyclist !. But I know that 40 years ago I would not be here typing (besides there being no internet !). Such is the advances in medicine.

Those advances are more then half the battle, alongside good medical insurance !, attitude is the other. Right now I'm more concerned about a screwed up knee that keeps me off the bike then I am about my CLL. Once my knee gets better, and hopefully it won't need surgery, I'm back on the bike and the CLL is not slowing me down as there's no reason. My doc keeps me in the right attitude telling me he's seeing HUGE advances in treatments with targeted drugs for all kinds of cancers, my sister (the retired nurse) said the same that with the ability to sequence DNA, the advances are happening in leaps and bounds, so the goal is to treat for for the immediate future, when even better drugs are available.

That changes the whole attitude of how you look at your disease and allows you to consider that you might actually live to be 80, when dementia will kick in and you will have forgotten about your cancer battle, LOL !.

Such is how you live your life today. Am I scared ?, a bit. Have I been stressed ?, yup, but only a bit more really than about a whole lot of everything else that life throws at you. It's now just "one more thing" and I can deal with that.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I know of someone who also had throat cancer. After under going radiation therapy, he is considered cured. He then got the ok to have hip replacement surgery. Now he is enjoying his life.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
My Mom is 83, I haven't told her this news. I live thousands of miles away from her and this isn't something she needs to be worried about. She is a classic worrier and would be more worried about it than I am, or at least she would let it affect her as if it were that case. Is keeping news like this away from a parent not a bad idea.

Obviously my kids, they won't hear anything from me about how or what is making Daddy need some work for his sore throat. My wife just asked them to cut me some slack when I get tired. I haven't yet felt especially tired.

TOG, Snap thanks for the stories. I know you both so well through the years ( we have never met) stuff like that really is appreciated.

Daniell, great news. Wchevron, likewise, great news. Thanks for posting.
Personally, I told everyone. I have two developmentally delayed children and for a long time I never spoke of their problems (or by extension, mine). That, I believe, made me an incredibly cantankerous, crabby person. When I decided to share that information and tell people what it was like to live this life (not for pity, just for empathy), I felt much better about both the situation and with life in general.

Same went for my cancer diagnosis. I was fine with sharing and letting people know what to expect. In a way, I may have had it easier than you as I did not have to explain it really to my children and my parents are significantly younger (60s). As someone going into the health field (second career as an RN) I can fully appreciate your wish to keep things private, but I will say that for me, the decision to share and be politely matter of fact went a long way to keeping MY stress down, which can go a long way for others when it comes to coping, IMO.

Anytime you feel the need to talk/vent, feel free to hit me up, here or via PM.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
I am 30% through the treatments. That is 12 of 35. I have been feeling really good, better than before i was diagnosed. I have been walking jogging and cycling and losing weight has really helped. My voice is changing. On Saturdey I felt good and bought one of these for my nephew who was doing good in his studies at university to celebrate his passing a fairly big assignment. It was my first "drink" in a month, I had one 11 ounce drink. Bad idea. Sunday morning I felt like I had been hit by a truck. Throat really sore, headache and sore guts and I lost a day i could have spent with the kids lying in bed feeling sorry for myself and swallowing pain killers. Just goes to show how toxic alcohol really is. I think I can live without it. back to healthy food again for me.

And I love this drop. It is a good beer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I got diagnosed with a stage 2 cancer (would rather not get into specifics about the disease itself) at the end of April. I have been undergoing chemo since May 4. They have me on a pretty aggressive regiment so I'm almost 2/3 of the way through it. Tomorrow I go in for another day of treatment. I do not know what radiation is like, but chemo sucks. I mean, it really sucks. i feel like hell now almost all the time with a lot of fatigue and nausea. I used to have good hair; that's gone for now. Plus I am missing out on a lot in life, trips and so forth. I never thought I would have to deal with something like this at the age of 30. A year ago at this time I was pumped up to ride a double century in Vermont. Now, I am out of breath when I go up the stairs too fast. The one good thing is the prognosis for my particular cancer is good.

Best of luck on your war with this.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
My husband's friend came over the house for BBQ yesterday, first time we've seen him since learning the brain tumors were cancerous. He just started radiation/chemo so the side effects haven't set in just yet, and he takes anti-seizure meds as a preventative measure; still not allowed to drive or ride a bike or anything fun/independent.

He's also doing immunotherapy, which sounds new but promising. He's still himself, just less animated/more tired. Quiet but alert. We are bracing ourselves though, knowing what's ahead.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
My husband's friend came over the house for BBQ yesterday, first time we've seen him since learning the brain tumors were cancerous. He just started radiation/chemo so the side effects haven't set in just yet, and he takes anti-seizure meds as a preventative measure; still not allowed to drive or ride a bike or anything fun/independent.

He's also doing immunotherapy, which sounds new but promising. He's still himself, just less animated/more tired. Quiet but alert. We are bracing ourselves though, knowing what's ahead.
Good for you for not treating him like he is contagious. Many people do

21 - 40 of 185 Posts