Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

41 - 60 of 185 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Aww hellll no. We love this guy to pieces. I even let him have a bottle or two from my secret stash of artisan ginger ale (guests normally get Canada Dry.) :p
I was amazed when I saw some people in our lives suddenly disappear when Ella was diagnosed. It’s their problem, but it happens more than I expected and it does hurt. Of course the other side of this is that people that we had very little expectation of came through like champs and were way more supportive than we ever expected.

Don’t get me started about how many stories we heard of spouses/significant others that couldn’t take the caretaking and bailed on their partners when they found out they had cancer.

Len

Reactions: rideorglide

·
Non non normal
10,094 Posts
I was amazed when I saw some people in our lives suddenly disappear when Ella was diagnosed. It’s their problem, but it happens more than I expected and it does hurt. Of course the other side of this is that people that we had very little expectation of came through like champs and were way more supportive than we ever expected.

Don’t get me started about how many stories we heard of spouses/significant others that couldn’t take the caretaking and bailed on their partners when they found out they had cancer.

Len

Everybody wants to believe they will be like Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting when dealing with a spouse with cancer. Some people love themselves waaaay more than they love their spouses. Sad but true.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
I heard that men often have no clue how to be nurturing, never having been taught/expected to be, so they often bail. So wives often have a worse time of it as the patient.

My main fear, aside from seeing our friend getting his ass kicked around by the treatments, is not knowing what to say or how to be there etc. But we do remind them to call us if they need help with stuff, and they do so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
cancer is not one disease it is many and not all types of cancer are equally evil. Lance Armstrong would not have survived pancreatic cancer. Knowledge = empowerment. Read up on currently available treatments b/c cancer therapy is a rapidly evolving field. You definitely want to see the best doctor you can afford under your insurance plan. There's no cutting corners and really no time to save money b/c the treamtent is really expensive or the doctor/treatment center too far away. Make it your #1 priority to get the best treatment, then you will feel you did your best.

My brother is almost able to go back to work after dealing with lung cancer for a couple of years, apart from numbness in his hands from chemo he is cancer-free. My sister died 2 years ago from pancreatic cancer, she chose not to tell the family except for one sister. Ny father didn't die from cancer, but he had spots on his lungs, COPD got him first.

I would also get a second opinion, and I would learn and study up about your particular type as much as possible. I had atrial fibrillation a while back, and I armed myself with as much knowledge of what it was and the possible remedies as I could. You want to educate yourself so you know what the doctors are talking about, and so you know the correct questions to ask, and it helps mentally to know what you are up against so it's less scary.

If I have learned anything from my own and others experiences, it's to try and educate yourself, and tell other people important to you. You'd be surprised at how much your friends and family really do care, how much they would want to know, and how much support they can offer you.

Good luck!

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts
On reflection I don't like this thread title. It should be Dealing with Cancer : My version.. Any chance the mods can edit the title????
Wishing you good thoughts.

Hope you overcome it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
So I am nearly half way through the 35 sessions of radiation. The pain has got progressively more as the cumulative effects of the radiation keep building. I had a visual examination of the cancerous areas today and the doctors seemed pretty happy with it all. I sent my siblings this link for them to better understand the symptoms.
Radiation therapy for laryngeal and hypopharyngeal cancers

The cyclists brother focused on this sentence This can lead to weight loss and malnutrition. and asked me how that was going. Well minus 15 pounds in three weeks. Feeling lighter but also get tired a lot easier. Getting sick of drinking my meals and as even swallowing water is painful, solid food, not for another few weeks I think.
I take some ibuprofen before I head off to work but other than that I stay away from them. I have never liked painkillers and if the cost of my cancer cure is a few weeks of discomfort, so be it. After all the pleasure I got from my drinking and smoking I don't think it's right to cheat the payback by numbing the experience. I was raised Catholic but I haven't been religious for 30 years. I am still agnostic to my core, which seems wierd when people here say they are praying for me. I'll take those prayers but have never ever given up a prayer of my own. Best wishes I can relate to, but prayer.... IDK.
So that's where it is, go through the regime and hope that the wonders of modern science kick in and eradicate these poisonous cells from my body. I'm extremely optimistic. Again, thnks to all here for your thoughts, shared experiences and thoughts and prayers. SP.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Wow, that sucks. A good friend had throat cancer - he beat it over a couple years without surgery, and he's been Cancer free several years now - Keep the faith, you can win this battle, hang in there.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
We are thinking about you, stay strong. My sister (who has had 3 bouts with 3 different cancers) says "considering the options..."

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Best wishes I can relate to, but prayer.... IDK.

No worries, I haven't prayed a word for you :p But hoping for the best, and am glad you're halfway through already (that went fast......well for us on the sidelines anyway :rolleyes: )

I'm glad you're posting about your experience because I'm genuinely curious (cancer being so damn common) and don't want to ask John's friend too many questions. By all means, no pressure to be positive here, so vent all you want.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Got friggin scared for the first time. Usually I blend my dinners into purees then drink them like a soup. But it was late and the family was asleep so instead of blending and making a big noise, I ate but chewed everything really well and swallowed it down, albeit with difficulty due to swollen radiated areas . About 10 minutes after I finished eating my throat closed up with more swelling and I couldn't breathe in anything near a normal breath. Panic, I tried calling upstairs for my wife to help but to call out you need breath right? F*ck! Using what felt like all the air I had left in my lungs I croaked out an animal noise and fell to the floor on my hands and knees. They said that guy in NYC who got choked out by the police must have been able to breathe as he was speaking. They have never obviously been choking, you can make sounds while not being able to inhale. I was crawling towards the telephone to call EMS when she caught up with me, I was still gagging, coughing and dribbling buckets out my mouth. After I guess 30 seconds, I was able to slowly inhale enough to calm my panic. She was slapping and rubbing my back (I'll tell her later that that isn't something you should do to someone who can breathe), but her being there helped me a heap. So another 10 minutes of slobbering, drooling, coughing, gagging and wheezing I feel like I won't actually pass out and tell her she can relax. I then swallowed a few painkillers.

I was told by the radiologist that Anti-inflammatories are a good idea, so as of yesterday, I am on 400mgs of ibuprofen at night to reduce coughing due to swelling and that coughing was also keeping my wife and myself awake at nights.

Lessons learned: drink your meals cause even small solids can aggravate the swelling. Use painkillers, they work. My wife is indescribably the best thing that ever happened to me. Not sure if she would say the same though, I try though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
God dude! I can't imagine how scary that must have been. Hang in there man. Be patient with yourself and determined as hell. Use your cyclist's capacity for pain and endurance. We are a rare breed in that regard. you can do it. Keep on the thread. We're watching it, reading it, and with you (as much as one can be on the webz).

Cancer sucks, YOU ROCK!

·
Registered
12 Posts
306330d1432937617t-dealing-cancer-my-version-radiationmask.jpg

I just got fitted with mine today, and I'm pretty sure I know where you are on this issue.

I was stationed at Camp Lejeune, N.C. between January 1984 and November 1985. I was an 0811, field artillery in the USMC. Apparently the base fuel depot leaked 1,000,000 gallons of mogas and diesel into the wells of CLNC (Camp Lejeune, North Carolina). There was a nuclear dump site on base as well that leached irradiated rain water into the base wells. The maintenance shops and dry cleaners all dumped their solvents onto the ground as well.

Roughly 5 years ago, I noticed memory loss and hands shaking. My motor skills and the aforementioned two conditions have worsened. Back in March, I noticed my lymph nodes swelling below my left jaw, so I went to get checked. After a biopsy, the doctor confirmed I have a cancerous tumor on the base of my tongue deep in my throat. He, like myself, did not know anything about CLNC's contaminated ground water, but he said I had rare cancer and with the neurobehavior disorders, it sounds like I was exposed to contaminated ground water. Upon learning about the CLNC water issue, I uttered "______ by the big green weenie again!" It was odd that those words passed my lips as I've not uttered that phrase in nearly thirty years.

The worst part of all this is dealing with the Veteran's Administration. They're not officially denying CLNC Water Act signed into law back in 2012, but they sure are dragging their bureaucratic heels.

I don't care one way or the other. If it kills me, well, what can I really do about it? I'm not too worked up about the entire issue. Not that I'm overjoyed, but as previously stated, all the worriment in the world will not cure cancer.

I'm sorry to bang on about my luck. I guess I was just trying to ease an uncomfortable topic by showing I'm in the same boat. I guess that since 40 years of enduring repeated dog attacks and being hit by a dozen cars, my fortune had to run out sooner or later.

Best of luck sockpuppet, you'll be in my thoughts.

cheers,
appalachian kamper

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
wow, glad you are able to breathe and type! Hope that is the last time you have to go through that...

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Holy crap, how scary that must have been for you. I'm so glad you were able to get through it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
That must have scared the **** out of you.
God dude! I can't imagine how scary that must have been.!
wow, glad you are able to breathe and type! Hope that is the last time you have to go through that...
Holy crap, how scary that must have been for you. I'm so glad you were able to get through it.
It scared me so much that the only thing I have consumed in the last 24 hours is a Mac Donalds shake and some pain killers. Fortunately none of the kids remembered me having a spaz attack and the 18 yr old nephew was out all night so he didn't have to deal with the drama. Not eating is kinda easy after a while. Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
View attachment 306903

I just got fitted with mine today, and I'm pretty sure I know where you are on this issue.
The worst part of all this is dealing with the Veteran's Administration. They're not officially denying CLNC Water Act signed into law back in 2012, but they sure are dragging their bureaucratic heels.
I don't care one way or the other. If it kills me, well, what can I really do about it? I'm not too worked up about the entire issue. Not that I'm overjoyed, but as previously stated, all the worriment in the world will not cure cancer.
I'm sorry to bang on about my luck. I guess I was just trying to ease an uncomfortable topic by showing I'm in the same boat. I guess that since 40 years of enduring repeated dog attacks and being hit by a dozen cars, my fortune had to run out sooner or later.
Best of luck sockpuppet, you'll be in my thoughts.
cheers,
appalachian kamper
Wow, that sucks and no amount of worrying will cure it but you need an advocate going to bat for you. What state are you in? You can PM me if you like but for all the lip service people do in saying thank you for your service, most folks want that to be all the sacrifice they want to make.
The good news is they found it and you are getting it taken care of, at this stage is it just radiation or some other protocol as well. With the neurobehavior problems is medical pot going to help? Can't do any harm can it? At least give it a good honest bash!
Not much else to say but thanks for the kind words and you too catch the best wishes being sent your way. Keep posting here and keep us filled in but I would really like to do more regarding your apparent lack of advocacy and the rather ponderous bureaucracy.
see you here again soon.
SP

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Really sleepy this weekend, primarily due to swelling making swallowing a bit of an ordeal, consequently calories are way down. I am down from 209 pounds when i started this to 187. So my pants and things are now starting to need the inner drawstring fastened for the first time in a long time. My T-shirts hang straight down from my nipples! Wish I could get on the bike and see what the equivalent of riding no bike feels like, but energy levels prevent it.
BTW, flat de-carbonated RedBull stings like a biatch on radiated throats. Guess it's not to healthy, Go Figure? I tipped it down the drain after one short sip sent me into coughing and wheezing spasms, thankfully the kids weren't home. Best is simple basic foods not salty or spicy with minimal acidic flavor blended with soy milk or water. Eating healthy, I haven't had a sneeze or snotty nose in 5 weeks, haven't dredged up a phlegm ball either. Again I am learning what not eating crap feels like.
Cold compressed towels (ice packs) on the outside of the throat are pretty soothing.

3 weeks to go! Yippee.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
just a thought, would yogurt go down with no problems?

41 - 60 of 185 Posts