Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sidelined for a year since another rider crashed me out, fracturing my right hip. I hit a wall in my recovery after a couple of months - 5 minutes of easy riding would cause a week of aching and inflammation of the bursa. A recent high resolution MRI clearly shows extensive scarring and adhesions between thigh muscle and tendons. (FWIW, hardware was removed 6 months ago)

The latest plan is to first address it with myofascial/active release massage/therapy and then possibly endoscopic surgery if the therapy fails. I'm hoping to get some idea on the likelihood for success in treating this, what to expect, etc. from any medical professionals or patients out there. Posts or PM's appreciated.

·
Pixie Sticks and Politics
716 Posts
I would follow what your doctor tells you. I had 3 surgeries a month and a half ago that left me with a 16 inch scar down my left arm (including across my elbow). Doctors told me I will always have the scar but to massage the scar tissue as much as I can. The muscles around the scar tissue were very tight and it felt like my arm was petrified. With some St. John's lotion (with Vitamin E) and plenty of rubbing, messaging, etc, I can tell a drastic difference. In fact, the doctor will probably release me next week to go back to work full time.

Don't know if this will work with you, but good luck!

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
I assume you've been going through lots of physical therapy. Your plan sounds reasonable. I'd ad lots of stretches and exercises to help work out the scar tissue. I assume you are experiencing trochanteric bursitis. If so, it's important to work on the gluteus medius and the tensor fascia lata to get pressure off the bursa. I've heard a lot of good things about Active Release Therapy (ART). It combines myofascial release with active movement. I hear it's a little expensive and uncomfortable, but gets quick results.

http://www.activerelease.com/providerSearch.asp

·
Banned
657 Posts
I'n not a doc but have a few thoughts: use your recovery time to exercise your upper body w/ weight training. I can give you a routine if you like as I've been a personal trainer for about 10 years.

·
Registered
74 Posts
BarryG said:
I've been sidelined for a year since another rider crashed me out, fracturing my right hip. I hit a wall in my recovery after a couple of months - 5 minutes of easy riding would cause a week of aching and inflammation of the bursa. A recent high resolution MRI clearly shows extensive scarring and adhesions between thigh muscle and tendons. (FWIW, hardware was removed 6 months ago)

The latest plan is to first address it with myofascial/active release massage/therapy and then possibly endoscopic surgery if the therapy fails. I'm hoping to get some idea on the likelihood for success in treating this, what to expect, etc. from any medical professionals or patients out there. Posts or PM's appreciated.
i've had active release massage/therapy (ART) to reduce scar tissue and adhesions and it worked well. i fractured my pelvis in an mtb crash about 7 years ago and they used ART as part of my physiotherapy. while i still have some aching in my hip, most likely from remaining adhesions/scar tissue it does not impede me from any type of exercise (currently racing expert mtb). i highly recommend giving it a try. it's painful as h3ll but it will work to break up some of the scar tissue and give you better range of motion. add stretching and some weights to the mix and you should be able to regain relatively pain-free strength and mobility.

good luck.

rt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.