Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been on it for about two weeks now. 18.5 lbs - built to be a crit racer, and there's no point to worrying about weight. Ever. Anyway I look at it, it's just plain magical.

- stock 58 cm El Diente frame, etched decal
- Hope seat collar
- Ritchey WCS fork
- black CK headset
- Chorus shifter, RD, 11-23 cassette
- Record crank (180mm), BB, FD
- Record 32h hubs laced 2x F/NDS-3x DS to Ambrosio Excellence rims (red) with black Wheelsmith 2.0/1.7, red alloy nipples
- Thomson post, classic stem
- Deda 215 Italian drop, Deda tape
- SLR XP
- Time RXS Carbon

Sorry about the crappy photo. I had just washed it, and was too lazy to worry about the backdrop or framing.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
dino

nice Dean, I have one myself, you're certainly not going to find a cheaper custom Ti, people have had issues with them, including myself. but the frame is sure nice.
Like that stealth look.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nice, good simple design, just the right amount of red, too. Doncha love the Ambrosio's? Good hoops, I've got a set and they are strong and light.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
varoadie said:
Nice, good simple design, just the right amount of red, too. Doncha love the Ambrosio's? Good hoops, I've got a set and they are strong and light.
Mine aren't too light (490g on my scale), but they are the nicest rims I've ever handled. Fit and finish is far superior to Mavic. Awesome anodizing, perfect brake tracks, hot-looking little brass counterweigh at the valvestem, and they built up like Lego.

Simplicity was the plan. All I wanted was toughness, and nothing too flash. Ti is flash enough to begin with! Besides, the 2" downtube and 1" stays attached to breezer drops scream function...not to mention heft. Same goes for the Thomson gear, too. Off to ride! :p

·
likes to eat donuts
827 Posts
It's a beautiful bike!

I always thought that a shorter crank would be more benificial for a crit, ie: cornering clearance and sprinting, while a long crank like this would benifit soemthing like time trialing or climbing.

?

MD

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Foppa said:
How long did it take you to get the frame, from ordering to receipt of the frame.
I'm friends with a builder, so mine is not a typical case. It didn't take very long. They know they have a problem with delivery times, though, and are doing what they can to remedy the situation. Whatever the case, I cannot recommend them enough. Definitely one of the finest builders around, especially for the price.

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
+1

SDizzle said:
I'm friends with a builder, so mine is not a typical case. It didn't take very long. They know they have a problem with delivery times, though, and are doing what they can to remedy the situation. Whatever the case, I cannot recommend them enough. Definitely one of the finest builders around, especially for the price.
Nice rig, that is one sexy number! I was on the edge b/w a ED Superlight and the Vador CTI. I ended up with the Vador (love it!) Had I gone with the ED I would have ordered it with the Polished logo just like yours with CNC'd Headbadge (I did get the badge on the Vador). I know Moots is the frame de jur right now but man I was impressed with the value. I like the dropout cut outs on my Vamoots (very trick) better but didn't really like the intgrated seatpost binder. Plus my vamoots came in at 3.2 lbs vs. 2.9 as claimed. The Dean was also a hair over claimed weight but not by much 2.7 vs. 2.6. I've got a set of Eurus on my rig now but I have been thinking about building up a set with Ambrosios FCS 28s and maybe FRM hubs (superlight italian numbers) to make for a fairly light wheelset. My only problem is the rims I like are somewhat heavy and I can only find them in 32 hole. I know they make them in 28 hole but I'd really like a 24 for the front. It's nice to hear that they are easy to build with. Keep us posted on their durability.

JR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts