Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
curious...

I young fella about my age that worked on my team for several years suddenly passed this week and I have more or less been put in charge of keeping current and past team members notified of the arrangements, etc. However, my team used to have over 30 people that are now all over the United States. I just wanted to ask you all this question. There have been some that have been gone for several years. For the most part, I cannot really gauge how close their personal relationship was with Chris, however is it necessary or politically incorrect for them to get an email about someone's death they may have had little or nothing to do with?

I just want to make sure the right people know, but Im having a difficult time figuring out who he was "close with", and Im not sure its up to me to decide that. So, again... do I just send the information to EVERYONE whether they were close to him or not, or do I just take a stab at those I reckon will be interested?

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Better that some disinterested people should get the info and disregard it than some interested people not get it at all, I think.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
Better that some disinterested people should get the info and disregard it than some interested people not get it at all, I think.
The stalker is right. If you have the contact info for them, I think it is the right thing to do to contact them and let them make the decision about attending or not.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
condolences, C.

i agree with scotty here. do the best you can, don't break yourself in half tracking people down, tho.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
lousylegs said:
The stalker is right. If you have the contact info for them, I think it is the right thing to do to contact them and let them make the decision about attending or not.
Yup...I work in a fairly large corp and we get this kind of thing from time to time--mostly I just go "who the F is that?" but sometimes it's a real shocker when it's someone you worked with for years.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Be overinclusive

I worked for a large firm for several years; I have been gone for nine years. I get emails from time-to-time about deaths, illnesses and, sometimes, happy news about former co-workers. I really don't mind those about people with whom I was not close; I just ignore them. But, I really would be upset if I did not get one about someone I cared about. I would put something in your email that you are trying to contact his friends and co-workers, but you may have missed some and if the recipient knows the whereabouts of someone close, they should forward the email. Several years ago, the son of someone from my old firm died. I actually found out about the son's death in an email that had been forwarded twice -- the person who initially sent the email did not start to work for the firm until after I had left and had no idea who I was. I really appreciated getting the forwarded email and I was able to make the son's viewing, something his mother really appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts