Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
36,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting article...


Death of the 'McMansion': Era of Huge Homes Is Over
On Thursday August 19, 2010, 2:15 pm EDT


They've been called McMansions, Starter Castles, Garage Mahals and Faux Chateaus but here's the latest thing you can call them - History.

In the past few years, there have been an increasing number of references made to the "McMansion glut" and the "McMansion backlash," as more towns pass ordinances against garishly large homes, which are generally over 3,000 square feet and built very close together.

What sets a McMansion apart from a regular mansion, according to Wikipedia, are a few characteristics: They're tacky, they lack a definitive style and they have a "displeasingly jumbled appearance."

Well, count 2010 as the year the last nail was hammered into the McCoffin: In its latest report on home-buying trends, real-estate site Trulia declares: "The McMansion Era Is Over."

Just 9 percent of the people surveyed by Trulia said their ideal home size was over 3,200 square feet. Meanwhile, more than one-third said their ideal size was under 2,000 feet.

"That's something that would've been unbelievable just a few years back," said Pete Flint, CEO and co-founder of Trulia. "Americans are moving away from McMansions."

The comments echoed those made in June by Kermit Baker, the chief economist at the American Institute of Architects.

"We continue to move away from the McMansion chapter of residential design, with more demand for practicality throughout the home," Baker said. "There has been a drop off in the popularity of upscale property enhancements such as formal landscaping, decorative water features, tennis courts, and gazebos."

"McMansions just look and feel out of place today, given the more cautious environment everyone's living in," said Paul Bishop, vice president of research for the National Association of Realtors.

And homebuilders are heeding the call: In a survey of builders last year, nine out of 10 said they planned to build smaller or lower-priced homes...



... more at
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/Deat...hlbWM-?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=4&asset=&ccode=
.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Well it is not like they are going to tear down the ones that are already built. In a few years they will be classics.
 

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts
Thank god.

Hopefully this means they'll be dozing most of Orange County.


joe
 

·
Bacon!
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
As soon as the next greed bubble starts they'll start popping up again. Got to have something to outshine your friends, family, and neighbors somehow. And monster million dollar (or quite a bit more) homes are the easiest way to make yourself feel like you are doing it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,473 Posts
We have more than our share in the DFW area.....I hate them.....especially when a person goes into in nice established neighborhood and tears down a perfectly good home and builds a monument to owner..

My wife and I have owned the same 2,200 sq ft home for almost 20 years.... Our income has more than doubled in that time yet we are both very happy where we are...We have zero intentions of "moving on up".... If we ever sell, we will go to a smaller home
 

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
We have more than our share in the DFW area.....I hate them.....especially when a person goes into in nice established neighborhood and tears down a perfectly good home and builds a monument to owner..

My wife and I have owned the same 2,200 sq ft home for almost 20 years.... Our income has more than doubled in that time yet we are both very happy where we are...We have zero intentions of "moving on up".... If we ever sell, we will go to a smaller home

C'mon, Dave. But think how awesome that boat and jet ski you'll finance will look sitting in front of your new million dollar McMansion!


joe
 

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
Joined
·
19,723 Posts
MB1 said:
Well it is not like they are going to tear down the ones that are already built. In a few years they will be classics.
Or white elephants that cost a king's ransom to heat or air condition.
 

·
No Crybabies
Joined
·
11,684 Posts
why?

My brother is a developer, and his theory is that larger and more expensive houses have trended upward largely due to more women working and earning more money. The family has the money to spend, and combine that with lower interest rates, and these kinds of houses are the natural result.

I never would have defined "huge" as more than 3,000 square feet, though.
 

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it that typical American families are gravitating toward homes of less than 2,000 square feet.

What's lacking is a precise definition of McMansion. Here, I think of them not only in terms of size but in terms of their grandiose styling (turrets? Giant staircases? Two-three stories of stucco?). Dunno. Our house is about 3500 square feet (more than we need) but is styled liked a cabin or small mountain lodge. Lots of wood, naturescaped outside. Is it a McMansion? My last custom home in Colorado was a pretty detailed (if I may say so myself) Craftsman reproduction of which I was really proud. It was also about 3600. McMansion?

I think that the massive developments of 5000 square foot homes where you choose from one of three floor plans and 150 similar homes populate a newly constructed suburb are the true McMansions. Am I just trying to differentiate myself?
 

·
Always changing.....
Joined
·
4,523 Posts
Fixed said:
I never would have defined "huge" as more than 3,000 square feet, though.

I agree. Not sure where that number came from. In Ontario, you could have a bungalow with 1500 ft2 on the main floor and then finish the basement, and all of a sudden you have 3000 ft2. It is still not a big house.

I understand the concept of what they are driving at. Families 30-40 years ago used to be raised in 1000 ft2 bungalows. Times have changed.
 

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts
JayTee said:
I think that the massive developments of 5000 square foot homes where you choose from one of three floor plans and 150 similar homes populate a newly constructed suburb are the true McMansions. Am I just trying to differentiate myself?

This is what's in my mind. Being large doesn't automatically make it a McMansion. Cookie Cutters is generally what they're called here in OC.

Sing it, Malvina!



joe
 

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
Joined
·
5,887 Posts
JayTee said:
I'll believe it when I see it that typical American families are gravitating toward homes of less than 2,000 square feet.

What's lacking is a precise definition of McMansion. Here, I think of them not only in terms of size but in terms of their grandiose styling (turrets? Giant staircases? Two-three stories of stucco?). Dunno. Our house is about 3500 square feet (more than we need) but is styled liked a cabin or small mountain lodge. Lots of wood, naturescaped outside. Is it a McMansion? My last custom home in Colorado was a pretty detailed (if I may say so myself) Craftsman reproduction of which I was really proud. It was also about 3600. McMansion?

I think that the massive developments of 5000 square foot homes where you choose from one of three floor plans and 150 similar homes populate a newly constructed suburb are the true McMansions. Am I just trying to differentiate myself?

I always referred to them as mushroom houses. Seemingly overnight, from a farm field, up pops three styles of neutral colored boxes stretching to the horizon. I always wondered how people found "their" house after dark. :confused:
 

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
Joined
·
7,285 Posts
Ah, but go to France or Italy and the houses all look alike, too. Instead of being monotonous and deadening, the sameness creates a sense of unity and beauty. As Mick Jagger once warbled, its the singer not the song.
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
This is a weird definition of a McMansion, especially if you have a basement.

Those of you that have seen my house, nice, yes, but McMansion?

Len
 

·
Always changing.....
Joined
·
4,523 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Typical McMansion around here..... Near zero lot-line.... 5,000+ sq foot...

To be clear, I have no problems with people buying houses they can afford.....these homes just aren't for me
Would not want to clean that. There would be no time left to ride.
 

·
Misfit Toy
Joined
·
23,428 Posts
MB1 said:
Well it is not like they are going to tear down the ones that are already built. In a few years they will be classics.
Oh...my biggest fantasy is buying this monstrosity and tearing it down to build a nice little cottage.....:D
 
1 - 20 of 162 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top