Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Undiscovered Cyclist
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody care to comment on particulars of what they stock at the stops? I've heard it is super supported. I know one should pack as if the stops run out of goodies, but since I'm traveling a good distance to get there and space may be at a premium, may pack lighter and let the Skeleton Crews restock me, at least in GU and water. Just curious.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Plenty of food. Plenty. I carried two bottles and one bar.

One piece of advice? When you finish a pass, there is an aid station at the top. Consider rolling over the top, avoiding the summit aid station, to begin your descent where another aid station waits after a long descent. You'll save a little time this way with little effort.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I was at the top of Ebbett's Pass yesterday and it was swarming with mosquitoes and nasty-looking flies. They're going to have a feast with all the sweaty riders. I wouldn't plan to stop for any length of time there.

·
Undiscovered Cyclist
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mosquitoes and nasty-looking flies.

Thanks for the info, will really be looking forward to that. I was hoping up high to get away from the nasty little creatures found along the farms or the woods here in SE PA.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
RedRex said:
Plenty of food. Plenty. I carried two bottles and one bar.

One piece of advice? When you finish a pass, there is an aid station at the top. Consider rolling over the top, avoiding the summit aid station, to begin your descent where another aid station waits after a long descent. You'll save a little time this way with little effort.

OTOH if you stop and eat something at the top, you get a head start on digesting your food. Then you can skip the station at the bottom. I've done it both ways. I am not sure there is a difference.

There are a lot of stations. You probably don't need to stop at all of them.

I carry two bottles, a gel and a couple bars. I have some food allergies so I have to be careful what I eat. The ride is very well supported, enough that I wouldn't carry any food at all if I didn't have allergies.

Drink situation is not as good. They always seem to pick something that tastes bad to me. So I bring my own powder.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Cliff Bars gels are handed out and they suck! But they get the work done. Otherwise they have dry cookies, pototo chips, mini cliff bars, oranges, pretzles, fig newtons, etc. Nothing soft and yummy. My wife says it is like trying to force dirt down her mouth is so dry, but I think the stuff is adequate. Lunch is good and they often have V8's at the stops which I like to drink about every other rest stop.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Steve, I'll be calling you sometime Sunday or Monday to see if you still want to meet before the ride.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
It's nothing compared to back east. The deer flys are really bad right now though. Feels like someone stuck an acid coated red hot needle in the back of the leg when they go for you. Just up there a couple of days ago and they were very annoying. I didn't see any skeeters.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Steve, I'll be calling you sometime Sunday or Monday to see if you still want to meet before the ride.
Sounds good. We'll be up on Thursday night, and at the registration sometime on Friday morning to pick up bib/registration stuff. I sent you my cell # - correct?

No chance of loosing a hand over the holiday, all things that go boom have gone gone.

Coop

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought one of the most unique "rest stop" I went through last year on the DR was the one climbing up the back side of Monitor (pass #2). I think it was an organized group of high schooler's who as you got close to the water stop, took your water bottle from you, ran to fill it up, and then ran back and handed it to you. You never had to stop (and they didn't want you to stop). I loved the "enthusiasm"....

·
Registered
25 Posts
How's the smoke up there?

ukbloke said:
I was at the top of Ebbett's Pass yesterday...
how is the air quality up there now? The breezes are blowing from the west in the Bay Area now so the forest fire smoke is dissipating here, but I'm worried it's heading up that way. How does it look and feel to you?

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
We came up to Arnold on Sunday and there was smoke until around Murphys, and then clear from there up. It has been crystal clear in Arnold since then with barely a cloud in the sky. I rode over Ebbett's Pass down to Wolf Creek on Wednesday and the air quality, temperature and wind were just perfect for cycling. Today it is mysteriously overcast, and cooler. I'm not sure yet if this is just weather or if it is smoke blowing through. It is clear at ground level and the cloud/haze is up high. The Death Ride is still just over a week away so nothing to worry about yet. It is going to get much hotter early next week though.

The bug bites on my legs, arms and neck are still pretty annoying. It was probably the deer flies that got me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the response! Could you report back as the week progresses? I know it's supposed to be hot up there early in the week. I'm really hoping that it will cool down a bit and not be too smokey by next weekend.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
It was just clouds after all, no sign of any smoke, and it's all cleared out in Arnold into another beautiful mountain day. You can take a look at the weather and the view at Bear Valley here:

Bear Valley Weather
Bear Valley Webcams

·
Undiscovered Cyclist
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
where in SE PA?

East Earl in particular. Think Lancaster County, New Holland balers, Shady Maple, or the PA Dutch Country, and not too far from Farmersville, PA - famous, or perhaps infamous, for one Floyd Landis. Right smack dab in the middle of it. A great place to ride. I'll go out early on a weekend morning, and especially if the right Sunday, see more buggies than cars. Am trying to get out of Dodge today for CA and the Death Ride so will be commencing radio silence. Would have responded sooner but being technically challenged somehow locked myself out of the RBR system.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Just a heads up. The mosquitos were quite interesting at Ebbetts and Hermit Valley. I got bit many times and didn't even realize it until my wife starting slapping them. Some Off got rid of 'em, but the biters are out in force.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.