Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in that aria and I had my bike along so I took a short ride. Parked at the base of hill and rode into Stovepipe Wells and back.
Untitled.png

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
That section looks like there is no shoulder. How was the traffic?
Usually maps are posted with N up.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I am looking at the OP's map and having trouble syncing it up with Google Maps. There are very few paved roads in Death Valley and Rt 190 is the only one that passes through Stovepiple Wells. As I recall there is some shoulder but there is a fair amount of tourist traffic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya not much shoulder there traffic was almost non existent though, seems like a lonely stretch of road.
I am looking at the OP's map and having trouble syncing it up with Google Maps. There are very few paved roads in Death Valley and Rt 190 is the only one that passes through Stovepiple Wells. As I recall there is some shoulder but there is a fair amount of tourist traffic.
East is on the left hand side
The road runs kind of east west. The orientation is how Google Earth's online version shows it for some reason. There isn't any road name or number either I guess it's just meant to be a picture.

·
Registered
582 Posts
There are 7 (If remember right) solid road climbs in DV NP. All have minimal shoulder with occasional traffic. However, the views are nice and it's quiet. Furnace Creek to Dante's view being the best (IMO) & Emigrant cyn being runner up. The climbs up 190 W (Towne Pass & Daylight Pass from Stovepipe Wells are pretty much pedal straight for an hour and a bit then turn around at the top. There's also a remote climb up Wildrose with two finish variations. The bottom section of Wildrose had completely washed away when I rode it 5 or so years ago. That one would be better on a cross or mtb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts