Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This years Deathride went very well until the end. 129 miles (my computer says 124 for the third year in a row) and 15,000 feet of elevation gain helps to keep you mind from wandering too much. My wife, friend Joe, and friend Yvette all decided to join us on the ride this year and we have been training for the most part of the past 2 months for it. This year has the added bonus of allowing us to meet up with Thinkcooper, his wonderful wife, and their friends. I also met another member from Stockton (picture included in the post) but am so mentally wrecked from the ride that I completely airheaded who it was. Hopefully he'll chime in.

The day before the ride we registered at Turtlerock Park and met up with Cooper, RWBradley, and gang. Had a great time B.S.ing over a beer before heading back to our different lodgings to try and get some sleep. As is always the case, I had just dozed off when it seemed like the alarm went off at 2:30am. Two hours later we were on the road and headed up towards the top of Monitor Pass. Boy it's cold in the morning around that Carson River before the sun comes up.

We climbed up towards Monitor Pass watching the glow of the sun far above and the mountains to the west continue to grow lighter. The rest stop at the top had some great morning food that I wolfed down before heading over the final little bit of elevation to begin the screaming descent down the other side.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Deathride-Tour-of-California-Alps

www.deathride.com

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Over the Top and Down the Other Side

As I came up over the top the sun greeted me with some almost warm rays and the distant wall of smoke adding some character to the sky. We were very lucky on this day. The day before had the sky blotted out by gray smoke but today it was clear and beautiful. As I flew down toward U.S. 395 on the east side of Monitor I snapped a picture of my speedometer and thought I'm being pretty stupid and put the camera away from that point on. Sorry folks, no over 50mph photos today. We got to the bottom, threw our stuff into drop bags and quickly started back up towards the top. The only sounds were the clicking of gears, gasping of breath, and the roar of hundreds of wheels and cassettes screaming down from the top. What a rush!! Passing over the top we hit the rest stop one more time and then started down the other side to begin our push up Ebbetts Pass.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sweat, Skeletons, and Ebbetts Pass

The climb up Ebbetts Pass started with its usual gentle slope to hook you solid and pull you in. I stopped at the rest stop to top off my Cytomax (now a mix of about four flavors) and ran into JAS ??? (man, my memory is bad anymore) who I snapped a quick shot with before heading up the road past some very wild women. On the way up I got this funny feeling that someone was whispering my name and again got to see JAS before heading up to the top. (Again, I hope it was JAS as the fog in little brain won't seem to clear up). At the top I ran into a very nice woman seeking her hero of a mountain climber but he had yet to be found. Then all of a sudden there he was. . .Thinkcooper had entered the picture.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Down, Down. . .Up, Up. . .

After cresting Ebbetts and wasting too much time eating and drinking Joe and I (my wife was pacing a little further back with her friend Yvette) flew down into Hermits Valley where we once more wasted a lot of time (hey, you've got to have fun) eating more and checking in on the Thinkcooper machine (or maybe he was checking in on me as I'm sure I looked like I needed it). And then it was back up the mountain and over to the lunch stop at Centerville flats. After eating Thinkcooper had started up a very nice paceline which kept growing and growing as we flew down along the Carson River. Somehow I got lucky and right when it was my turn to pull the guy in front locked up his chain and the whole thing collapsed. Oh well, guess I owe everyone one.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dark Storms on the Horizon

As we rolled into the rest stop at Woodfords it was hot, hot, hot. People were getting sprayed down to cool down a little bit but I was nervously watching some large anvil head thunderstorms to the south. Growing up in this country I have seen way too many of these and the hairs on the back of my neck were standing on end. I grabbed Joe and told him we had to move and started up Woodfords Canyon. On a good note, the clouds really cooled down what could have been a nasty climb. As we reached the next stop at Picketts Junction (highway 88/89 interchange) we only hung around long enough to use the bathroom, say hi Think and then head out. What I didn't know was that my wife was only a few miles behind and had already run into heavy rain. She and Yvette were struggling.

We continued on nervously watching the clouds just to our south but only a couple of stray drops hit us as we entered the final rest stop at the top of Carson Pass and grabbed out sticker, signed in, signed the poster, and grabbed some icecream. Still no rain and a couple of guys had left the cover of a shade canopy so we rushed in and sat down. Within moments after our rears had hit the chairs the heavens opened up and down came more hail than I've seen in a long, long, time. As many people as possible crowded under the canopy and what plastic bags they had were handed out to people to keep the pounding hail off. Think, Joe, and I stayed under our cozy little canopy and felt bad for the folks out under the weather. After an hour it slowed down enough for us to get back down the mountain. Nothing like a 40mph decent on drenched roads. I ate more road grit in 15 miles than I normally eat all year.

While all this was going on my wife had been climbing up with her friend Yvette. They got caught in the middle of it and their light windbreakers soaked through in a couple of minutes. As they continued up my wife noticed Yvette was shaking uncontrollably and was in trouble. She quickly decided to abort the effort and rapidly descended back down to Sorenson's Resort. Yvette was going hypothermic and was in bad shape. Sorenson's came to the rescue along with a rider who bought hot coffee for everyone. Major kodos to all the folks at that Resort and to the Resort itself for helping those riders. They let my wife and Yvette stay there until a friend came to pick them up. Much thanks.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Amazing. I just did my most climbing-intensive ride yet this morning - and that was 3500 feet over 48 miles. I can't even comprehend what the Death Ride must have been like. Thanks for sharing the photos.

·
angel of the morning
2,992 Posts
Cool :thumbsup:

wish I was there

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Great pics! I must have been just a few minutes ahead of you, because I got nailed by the hail at the start of the Carson Pass descent. I was thinking: how deep does the hail have to be on the road before my wheels slip out?

It was stupid of me to leave the safety and comfort of the rest stop, but I thought I could beat the storm. More stupid, I didn't turn around 100 yards after the pass when it started to rain. About a mile or two down, two riders and I took refuge in an aspen grove, but still got soaked. One guy was boarderline hypothermic. Odd how we were complaining about the heat just a short time earlier. Despite the storm, we lucked out on the weather (well, the heat at least) and the smoke.

I love the Death Ride: it's the Woodstock of endurance cycling. What an event!

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
Ridgetop, as always, great pictures - I haven't downloaded anything yet; it was great to finally meet you, your wife and friends. Bummer to hear that the girls weren't able to bag the fifth pass, and that Yvette ended up getting hypothermic.

Our descent down Carson was insane. I hit a shade under 45 in the rain, then my speed sensor got waterlogged and died. I rode as light as possible, balanced front to rear, with as little brake as possible. We made it back safe and sound. Glad to hear that you and Joe did as well.

Sorry we didn't hook-up at the finish. We got into line for a five pass jersey and then bailed.

Our final ride time was ~9:50, and the full elapsed time worked out to about 13 hours. Next year I want to trim the ride time a lot.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
Oh yeah - next year I want to follow your lead and leave at 4:30 with lights. We left in main pack at 5:30; a little more private riding in the early AM might have been nice.

Nice pics of me and the Mrs. at Ebbets... :D

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
It was great to meet you Ridgetop! I'm really glad the smoke cleared for your ride. It looks great, and I wish I could have been there too. I went to a Solar cookoff in Taylorsville on Saturday. It was nice, but the smoke was really bad in the evening.

Good on you for doing the whole ride.

Cheers,

RW

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't get much pics of the end except for Joe in his bag climbing back towards Turtlerock. I was pretty much done in and ready for a beer at that point. . .and then they ran out of beer!!!! Talk about disappointing until I remembered I had a case sitting in ice in the car. We hung around until after 7:30pm eating, drinking (more soda's and water than beer), and talking to people. It was great.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She made it back all right but she's madder 'an hell that she wasn't able to complete it. She really trained her tail off for it this year. Very disappointing but was smart to turn back.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rob, glad to know you made it back all right. I can't imagine what it was like descending in those hail stones. Yikes! We had fun sitting like sardenes under the canopy.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.