Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my restore project (a 78 fuji sports10), the bike has 27" rims...well, it seems the tires and tubes have been on the bike since 78, so i'm rolling on 31 year old rubber now. i've found schwinn tires, bell tires, and kenda tires that fit, all at local shops; as well as michelin and vittori tires on jenson, and some kenda krosscylos on amazon. has anybody used any of the aforementioned 27" tires? are they any good?

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
side question...should i be at all worried about riding 30 year old tires? the tubes seem to be in good condition, and there's no apparent air leaks.

the reason i'm asking is because my bike is a piece of crap, and many people have told me to not put much money into it, so i'm kinda skeptical about dropping $50 or so on tires and tubes, especially when i've got only $50 wrapped up in the bike to begin with

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
old_fuji said:
side question...should i be at all worried about riding 30 year old tires? the tubes seem to be in good condition, and there's no apparent air leaks.

the reason i'm asking is because my bike is a piece of crap, and many people have told me to not put much money into it, so i'm kinda skeptical about dropping $50 or so on tires and tubes, especially when i've got only $50 wrapped up in the bike to begin with
The rubber in those old tires is HARD from exposure to the elements (especially ozone). New tires will have much better traction (read: safer cornering), as well as more resistance to road hazards.

As for the brakes, the housings may be fine, the cables can be inspected (but should at least be cleaned and lubed, and replaced if anything looks funky), and the pads are hardened rubber like the tires. They may be restorable to some kind of function by vigorous sandpaper work, but you could get some very good pads (like the Koolstop Eagles) for under $20, and it would make the bike safer and more enjoyable to ride.

bottom line: $40 for tires, $20 for brake pads, $5 for cables, and you have a safer and better bike. I think it's worth it.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JCavilia said:
The rubber in those old tires is HARD from exposure to the elements (especially ozone). New tires will have much better traction (read: safer cornering), as well as more resistance to road hazards.

As for the brakes, the housings may be fine, the cables can be inspected (but should at least be cleaned and lubed, and replaced if anything looks funky), and the pads are hardened rubber like the tires. They may be restorable to some kind of function by vigorous sandpaper work, but you could get some very good pads (like the Koolstop Eagles) for under $20, and it would make the bike safer and more enjoyable to ride.

bottom line: $40 for tires, $20 for brake pads, $5 for cables, and you have a safer and better bike. I think it's worth it.
how about the tubes and rim strips? or, is that an as-needed thing? like i said, they're holding air, i've got them at 75psi and they're holding very well.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bump for the question about tubes and rim strips

also, i'm kinda stuck between the krosscyclos and a more semi-slick tire design...any pointers?

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lalahsghost said:
There are conti ultra gatorskins in 27" x 1 1/4" :shrug:

Everyone loves gatorskins, no?
a bit more pricey than i'd like...i was thinking more along the lines of $15 to $25 per tire

·
Super Moderator
40,842 Posts
old_fuji said:
bump for the question about tubes and rim strips

also, i'm kinda stuck between the krosscyclos and a more semi-slick tire design...any pointers?
Tire tread patterns for road bikes are really just fashion statements; studies show slicks work as well as any, as long as you're riding pavement. You might try the Performance or Nashbar house brands of tire, if you're looking to do this restoration on the cheap. Not great, but they work, and come in 27" last I checked.

Rim strips as needed. And you can use strapping tapes to decent effect as substitutes. Tubes are probably ok, even old ones, because they've spent the time covered by the tire, so unless your bike was parked next to an electric motor (such as a furnace or freezer in the basement), you could run them.

But note that I say "probably." It is possible that a chemical reaction occurred betwixt your casing and tube, so that the tube is fragile. I've seen old bikes, like your Fuji, where the tire had fused itself to the back of the tire, to its detriment. And tubes are cheap; I'd just swap them out, and consider it well-spent insurance against breakdown.

BTW, changing out the cables and pads on the brakes will make a noticeable difference in performance. Your Fuji (assuming original parts) harkens back to the days of unlined, and generally crappier, brake housing. And don't cheap out on this; plunge for the stainless steel cables.

·
Registered
12 Posts
old_fuji said:
on my restore project (a 78 fuji sports10), the bike has 27" rims...well, it seems the tires and tubes have been on the bike since 78, so i'm rolling on 31 year old rubber now. i've found schwinn tires, bell tires, and kenda tires that fit, all at local shops; as well as michelin and vittori tires on jenson, and some kenda krosscylos on amazon. has anybody used any of the aforementioned 27" tires? are they any good?
I like the Bontrager Racelite Hardcase- not the lightest, but it wears great and you probably won't ever get a flat.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
JCavilia said:
The Panaracer Paselas are decent IME.
I just put some of those on my old bike - a similar project. Catch them at Nashbar on sale and they're cheap. Change the tubes too, and take a good look at the brake cables at least. I ended up changing all the cables and housings, tubes, tires, rim strips and brake pads for probably $100. If I didn't replace something and it caused a crash, I'm probably done riding for awhile and that wasn't worth being cheap to me. Good maintenance is good maintenance, regardless of the value of the bike.

I also put in adapters (sleeves?) from the LBS that let you use a presta tube in a schrader-drilled rim, just to keep everything consistent. They were a couple bucks for the pair.

·
Registered
296 Posts
In my opinion the vittori are alright.

old_fuji said:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.