Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need recommendations for some durable, reasonably fast, moderately priced tires. These will fit my recreation bike, commuter, and wife bike. I have been using tires from a big, old stash that I had, but now they are gone, and none of them are available in exactly that model--I have been out of the market.

I have always been happy with low-moderate priced "training tires". Though I highly value durability/longevity, I don't want some 500g 35mm wide honker--if we can put men on the moon, we can make a fast, durable, cheap road tire, so say I.

I have been using some Vittoria, Conti, Michelin with decent results, but no favorites emerged. Being a big rider, I have recently used 27mm Rivendell "Ruffy-Tuffy" on my commuter, and they've been surprisingly good, front and rear. However, "R-T" doesn't seem as fast as I would sometimes like when I am not commuting.

I am considering:
Continental Ultra Gatorskin
Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech
Continental Ultra 2000 700x28 Folding Tire

and for the tandem:
Continental Top Touring 2000 Tire 700x28 Folding
(I have some Panaracer Pasela also for this bike)

Any opinions/recs are appreciated. TIA.

· Registered
453 Posts
I've got the ultra 2000 700c-28 tires on my fixie, they've got a few hundred miles on them so far and the flashing from the vulcanization is still there. That's pretty good considering the occasional skid and the awful campus roads (frequent cracks big enough for 23 mm tires to fall into).

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Michelin Megamiums. Wear very well, roll easily. They're a little heavy, (275g), but IMO, IME, they're a terrific all-purpose tire. Performance has'em on sale for <$20.

· Banned
2,767 Posts
I'd pick Maxxis Hors Categorie tires over Mich. Carbons. The Hors Categorie feel more secure in the wet and are the Mich's equal in durability. Right now I've got Maxxis Detonators on (25mm) and am liking them quite a bit. No cuts after nearly 400 miles, but that may not be saying much since that's only.....uhm....400 miles.

· Registered
985 Posts
From your list I would prefer Gatorskin, but my true favorite is Conti Gran Prix (without any numbers). The only problem with them is that they become more and more expensive (in Germany). 3 years ago I was able to buy them at 12 Euro, 2 years - 15 Euro, last year - 18, and now I'm unable to find them cheaper then 21 (now they cost the same as .Gran Prix 3000, while initially were at least 2 times cheaper).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.