Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get my first road bike - I'm planning on using it for maybe a year or two, then turning it into a commuter-only bike and buying something nicer. I've sat on the Scott Speedster S60 at a LBS but we had to crank the seat way high and I'm not sure if 58 is my size. I seem to have long legs for my height (6') so I need something with a relatively shorter topbar I suppose. I've looked at the Giant OCR3 online. I considered the Specialized Allez Triple but it has a longer topbar for its size and the Trek 1000 didn't get great reviews here. I'm also thinking about Ibex bikes to save some $$$, any feedback on these bikes or other ones I can take a look at? Tiagra would be nice but I'm fine with Sora, probably since I haven't ridden either so I don't know the difference :)

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
You'll see bunches of threads about buying one's first bike so I'd encourage you to snoop around. The main thing you'll hear to the point of nausea (although it is true) is that bike fit is critical for long term comfort and pedaling efficiency. When in doubt, get to a GOOD road bike shop and get some advice re: fitting.

Also, most bikes at the price point you are discussing don't really have a significant difference in quality. Most will be Sora-equipped aluminum frames that are virtually indistinguishable. Good luck.

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Consider used

Wozzer said:
I'm looking to get my first road bike - I'm planning on using it for maybe a year or two, then turning it into a commuter-only bike and buying something nicer. I've sat on the Scott Speedster S60 at a LBS but we had to crank the seat way high and I'm not sure if 58 is my size. I seem to have long legs for my height (6') so I need something with a relatively shorter topbar I suppose. I've looked at the Giant OCR3 online. I considered the Specialized Allez Triple but it has a longer topbar for its size and the Trek 1000 didn't get great reviews here. I'm also thinking about Ibex bikes to save some $$$, any feedback on these bikes or other ones I can take a look at? Tiagra would be nice but I'm fine with Sora, probably since I haven't ridden either so I don't know the difference :)
As jtolleson said, fit is the most important issue. Also, however, at you price point you would probably do a lot better with a 3-4 year old used bike with much better components and frame.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I ended up buying a Giant OCR3 today - but then when I got home I looked at the rear wheel and saw that it "wavers" a bit from the brake pads when spun. I had to reattach it myself so whether this is because the wheel isn't true or it's because I just can't get it on straight I'm not sure, but I'll be going back tomorrow to check. Hopefully it's just me!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wozzer said:
Well I ended up buying a Giant OCR3 today - but then when I got home I looked at the rear wheel and saw that it "wavers" a bit from the brake pads when spun. I had to reattach it myself so whether this is because the wheel isn't true or it's because I just can't get it on straight I'm not sure, but I'll be going back tomorrow to check. Hopefully it's just me!

Went to the store and turns out that the rear wheel is actually in-spec (my sales guy is really cool and showed me wheels on other new more expensive bikes, not just Giants, and my rear is pretty much on par for the course. It's just that my front was exceptionally true). Nevertheless he spent 10 mins "trueing" it for me and now it's perfect. Now if I can just figure out how this seat bag attaches...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts