Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... oh man, another insert bike vs. insert bike thread. I know I say that a lot but I've narrowed my selection to the Orbea Opal and the Cervelo Carbon Soloist after a lot of homework.

I know the LBS won't allow a week long test period so I'm hoping people here that have substantial miles on these two particular bikes can help me.

My rides consist of loops around Central Park, up and down 9W, charity rides, and commute to/from Manhattan and Brooklyn. If it matters any, I'm 5'11", 31" inseam, 185lbs. I plan to install Campy components on either frame.

I know both frames are stiff for carbon fiber. I thought of the Orca since it's not as stiff as the Opal. Anyway, it comes to these two frames. Will I be jostled so much on the Soloist CF that I'll have back pains for the rest of my life? I'm 36 so I hope I have a lot of life left in me. The BB is burly on that thing.

Many thanks for your insight.

:cool:

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
OT but where are you planning on getting your bike? R&A?

Lt. said:
OK... oh man, another insert bike vs. insert bike thread. I know I say that a lot but I've narrowed my selection to the Orbea Opal and the Cervelo Carbon Soloist after a lot of homework.

I know the LBS won't allow a week long test period so I'm hoping people here that have substantial miles on these two particular bikes can help me.

My rides consist of loops around Central Park, up and down 9W, charity rides, and commute to/from Manhattan and Brooklyn. If it matters any, I'm 5'11", 31" inseam, 185lbs. I plan to install Campy components on either frame.

I know both frames are stiff for carbon fiber. I thought of the Orca since it's not as stiff as the Opal. Anyway, it comes to these two frames. Will I be jostled so much on the Soloist CF that I'll have back pains for the rest of my life? I'm 36 so I hope I have a lot of life left in me. The BB is burly on that thing.

Many thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
botto said:
OT but where are you planning on getting your bike? R&A?
Nope... I've heard horror stories about R&A. If I choose the Orbea, I have a friend in NJ that will hook me up with a local dealer. If I go with the Cervelo... I'm hoping Sid's can help me out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw a few Orcas on my ride up 9W on Saturday and was leaning toward the Orbea. But after this glowing review... I'm right back where I started.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Commuting in Manhattan on a top-end carbon grand tour race bike? Crikey.

Those are both stiff, light race bikes. I'm not sure they are the best thing for the type of riding your describe.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
never went there myself, for the same reasons. finally checked it out over the summer, and they were cool. last month i was looking for a new giant tcr, and they had the best price. they were super friendly and helpful, and their fit-guy Felix is great.

worth checking if you're really interested in Cervelo's.

Lt. said:
Nope... I've heard horror stories about R&A. If I choose the Orbea, I have a friend in NJ that will hook me up with a local dealer. If I go with the Cervelo... I'm hoping Sid's can help me out.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
don't think it was commuting he has in mind (but i could be wrong).

you have to check out central park one of these days, if you've never been. that park must have every high end bike on the market ride over cat's paw hill on a summer weekend. :)

EURO said:

Those are both stiff, light race bikes. I'm not sure they are the best thing for the type of riding your describe.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
botto said:
never went there myself, for the same reasons. finally checked it out over the summer, and they were cool. last month i was looking for a new giant tcr, and they had the best price. they were super friendly and helpful, and their fit-guy Felix is great.

worth checking if you're really interested in Cervelo's.
Thanks! I guess it's worth heading out to Brooklyn.

EURO said:
Commuting will not be the primary function. I'll ride the bike every now and again to work though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I really don't think that you could go wrong with one of those bikes. They are both very sexy rides. I haven't ridden either bike, but I have had a lot of time on my dad's orca. The orca is a very light and stiff bike and the price is right. However, I thought it was too stiff. It just didn't feel like a lot of the carbon bikes I have ridden (MXM, C50, E1, Extreme-C, etc.) It was jumpy out of the saddle, but honestly I thought that my Six13 was smoother after a long day. Plus I think that the Opal is stiff than the Orca by using that Scott-esque carbon.

My two cents would be to go for the Cervelo. It would be a better bike for longer rides. It is super light, aero, and maybe smoother than the Orbea. Plus there is a coolness factor that the Orbea doesn't have. I live in Utah and the biggest Orbea dealer in North America is in downtown SLC so I see a ton of Orbeas because they are cheaper and they get old. The Cervelo is definitely unique.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts