Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently ride a 2000 Klein Quantum Pro (full alum) and got to testride a Moots compact last week in colorado (Bike Tour Colorado). It's hard to describe, but the Moots felt awesome. I didn't want to get off. It was one of their 57cm Compact frames. Descending and climbing were superb, as were the flats (wish I had my aerobars on) but I seemed to have felt the same amount of vibration over the chatter bumps as my Klein. I asked the Moots rep whether a carbon post would be better (the bike had a moots Ti) and he said probably not. I realize the wheelsets can also make a huge difference so maybe this was part of the reason. Anyways, I am thinking of building up my next bike and was really turned on by the moots, but in all honesty, I am not too hip on the looks (go ahead and flame me). The brushed Ti looks too drab to me and I don't want to have it painted. I would rather have function over looks, but if I could get both, I'd be happier.
I started looking at the Litespeed Icon and Archon, but have never ridden a LS bike, but prefer the looks of their bikes more. Given that the Moots and LS bikes are very comparable in terms of quality (debateable?), would I really notice any differences in ride quality between the two? I am going to try and get a demo on a LS, but between the Icon and Archon, I don't know if any local dealers (I am in Mass) will have one in my size (~57cm). Will have to call around.
FWIW, I also demoed a Trek Madone and it was nice, but the Moots felt even better. I still like my Klein, but the Ti just put my level of satisfaction one step higher. Pricewise, the Moots and Icon are comparable, but the Archon is hugely expensive, but it would be nice to have it. I don't know if I would notice a difference between the Icon and Archon. I've been out of the bike frame/components loop for awhile since I built my Klein and am looking forward to jumping back in.
Anyways, just looking for some feedback. Thanks.
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,559 Posts
I'd say buy the Moots, but then I have 2 and I think they are great bikes.

LS does nothing for my eye, I think the Archon looks like a wannabe Orca done in titanium sheet metal. But that's just me, many people like the Klingon look.

I doubt you'd be disappointed with either, both excellent bikes. It's just that Moots comes with a whole lot more mojo, if that's important to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
The choice is yours to make.Most importantly, choose the one that fits.
Saying that, I have a Moots. It's one bike I will never part with willingly. I like its industrial look.Knowing what I know after 20+ years of riding a bunch of different bikes, If I had to buy a new bike today. It would be another Moots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
I've got a Cannondale, but oogle over a Moots everytime I see one. Not so much over Litespeed. However, I understand you like the polished look of the LS a bit more...strip the paint off your Klein and polish it! Either way - just make sure you're comfortable and happy looking at it, as you'll be the one on it all the time.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
KleinMan said:
I currently ride a 2000 Klein Quantum Pro (full alum) and got to testride a Moots compact last week in colorado (Bike Tour Colorado). It's hard to describe, but the Moots felt awesome. I didn't want to get off. It was one of their 57cm Compact frames. Descending and climbing were superb, as were the flats (wish I had my aerobars on) but I seemed to have felt the same amount of vibration over the chatter bumps as my Klein. I asked the Moots rep whether a carbon post would be better (the bike had a moots Ti) and he said probably not. I realize the wheelsets can also make a huge difference so maybe this was part of the reason. Anyways, I am thinking of building up my next bike and was really turned on by the moots, but in all honesty, I am not too hip on the looks (go ahead and flame me). The brushed Ti looks too drab to me and I don't want to have it painted. I would rather have function over looks, but if I could get both, I'd be happier.
I started looking at the Litespeed Icon and Archon, but have never ridden a LS bike, but prefer the looks of their bikes more. Given that the Moots and LS bikes are very comparable in terms of quality (debateable?), would I really notice any differences in ride quality between the two? I am going to try and get a demo on a LS, but between the Icon and Archon, I don't know if any local dealers (I am in Mass) will have one in my size (~57cm). Will have to call around.
FWIW, I also demoed a Trek Madone and it was nice, but the Moots felt even better. I still like my Klein, but the Ti just put my level of satisfaction one step higher. Pricewise, the Moots and Icon are comparable, but the Archon is hugely expensive, but it would be nice to have it. I don't know if I would notice a difference between the Icon and Archon. I've been out of the bike frame/components loop for awhile since I built my Klein and am looking forward to jumping back in.
Anyways, just looking for some feedback. Thanks.
If you like painted TI look at Serotta. Same price range as the Moots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Here's my opinion

Litespeed makes great frames, I've owned 2 but..I've also had the pleasure of owning a Moots and between the two, I'd take the Moots. There's just something about them that when you're riding one it's a complete blast knowing it was made and welded with perfection beautifully by that master crew, if you like that kind of thing. You can race them or just ride them. Joy of ownership for me.
 

·
Steaming piles of opinion
Joined
·
10,520 Posts
I own a Litespeed (an '05 Solano), and love it. Aesthetically, I'm not a fan of the new LS bikes, and I don't have a lot of need for the alleged extra stiffness.

Most of what you feel as differences isn't the frame, and isn't the wheels, but the fit and the inflation (in no particular order.)

Never understood the Moots mystique. Fine bikes and all, but they're not magical, and the welds (what everyone seems to drool over) I've seen aren't meaningfully different from what's on my bike - and I've seen some I don't feel measure up.

Friends have Serotta - fine stuff, and there's a lot I like about them, but the decals cost almost four digits.

If I were looking for a Ti bike now, Lynskey would be on the very, very short list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
I too have had 3 LS bikes and still own 2

Evreyone will of course tell you to go Moots. Not soley for their quality, but the fact that they are less common than LS. The new Icon and Archon are incredible bikes and Moots is not "better" by any stretch. T

There once was a time in the mid 90s when LS had the mystique of a Moots, Seven and the other smaller boutique bike companies out there not.

Moots, Seven, LS, Guru, Serotta, IF, Lynskey etc etc all make nice ti bikes. The customer service is probably better on the smaller builders at this point, but odds are you ti frame will be bullet proof.

I have a 2005 Solano as well with Dura Ace 10 and it is as good as my old Vortex which was the "pinnacle" of frames at the time. In fact, it rides identical to the Seven Axiom I had my hands on for and extended test. The new LS are overpriced though, so if you can get a custom Seven or Moots for less, you should consider it, but don't be under the delusion that LS makes an inferior bike to the others because that just isn't the case.


danl1 said:
I own a Litespeed (an '05 Solano), and love it. Aesthetically, I'm not a fan of the new LS bikes, and I don't have a lot of need for the alleged extra stiffness.

Most of what you feel as differences isn't the frame, and isn't the wheels, but the fit and the inflation (in no particular order.)

Never understood the Moots mystique. Fine bikes and all, but they're not magical, and the welds (what everyone seems to drool over) I've seen aren't meaningfully different from what's on my bike - and I've seen some I don't feel measure up.

Friends have Serotta - fine stuff, and there's a lot I like about them, but the decals cost almost four digits.

If I were looking for a Ti bike now, Lynskey would be on the very, very short list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,555 Posts
Lazyrider said:
There once was a time in the mid 90s when LS had the mystique of a Moots, Seven and the other smaller boutique bike companies out there not.
Having sold and built plenty of LS bikes in the mid-90s, I would say this statement is false. They were known for having a lot of cute girls in their booth at Interbike, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
In 1995 and 1996, LS was one of the premier ti brands and only sold a fraction of the frames that they did at their peak. Funny how Lynskey is now on his own and has that mystique when my 90s LS Classic has his name on the chainstay. He basically builds the same bike under his own name now but of course my LS isn't of the "same" quality. It is all perception and marketing at that level. They are all great frames but people will associate what they want to each respective frame builder.


Henry Chinaski said:
Having sold and built plenty of LS bikes in the mid-90s, I would say this statement is false. They were known for having a lot of cute girls in their booth at Interbike, though.
 
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top