Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
In mid 50's trading in my Lemond steel for carbon fiber. Deciding between colnago clk 3.0 and pinarello rokh. Any opinions on these 2 bikes?
Why a CF frame?

Make no mistake; CF frame are what I call disposable frames. At best you'll get 10 years out of it. But more like 8 years. If you crash or your buddy or you leave the bike in a hot car, then the life span goes down from there.

If you insist, get a store brand like Ribble or Planet X that make great CF frames for about $1000. I'm in a frame-search mode too and if I decided to want to experience a CF frame, that's how I would do it.

But if $4000 to you is the same as $500 to me, then by all means, all the power to you!

All that being said; I'm partial to Colnago. Did you mean CLX 3.0?

If you get a Colnago, make sure you build it with the appropriate groupset: Campagnolo :cool: !

Whatever you decide, make sure you poast pics!

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
Steel is real.

I do kind of wonder why anyone would want strangers on the internet to help choose a bike.
Not everyone is so opinionated or has access to information regarding bicycles. His only source may be his LBS and the internet. I don't mind that he's asking us for our opinions as long as the OP realizes that our preferences and experiences may not pertain to him.

That being said, I am partial to steel as well and while I have not ridden CF from either of the brands, but I like the color schemes of the Colnalgo better :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm mid 50's and got my first carbon fiber bike last fall. Best bike I have ever ridden. As far as the strength of carbon fiber... they make airplanes out of carbon fiber. I have yet to fly or ride in a steel airplane. ;)

·
Born to chase Ducks
2,736 Posts
I have two active road bikes: a 1983 Trek (steel) w/Campy 11 and a 2011 Felt F3 (cf) with Red. Both bikes have very similar geometry (strangely enough), and handle similarly as well (shocker). I enjoy the ride that each provides.

I will say that just because it's made of carbon fiber, that isn't necessarily going to make it a bike you will love to ride. I tried several that just felt dead, with no snap at all, when I was shopping for mine. In the end, I had it narrowed down to either a 2010 Cervelo R3 or the 2011 Felt F3 that I ended up buying. Both bikes jumped when you kicked them, which was a quality I enjoyed in my steel Trek.

Ultimately, you should find and ride what you are looking to buy, if at all possible.

By the way, I'm 50.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
I'm mid 50's and got my first carbon fiber bike last fall. Best bike I have ever ridden. As far as the strength of carbon fiber... they make airplanes out of carbon fiber. I have yet to fly or ride in a steel airplane. ;)

CF bike frames and CF aircraft parts are to totally separate animals.

There is no comparison. Period.

·
Registered
45 Posts
CF bike frames and CF aircraft parts are to totally separate animals.

There is no comparison. Period.
Not really. You want strength and light weight. They are very compatible. Boeing makes the 787 wing and fuselage out of carbon fiber. The wings allow for light weight flexibility and the fuselage is stiff and light weight. Sounds like parts of a bike to me.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Not really. You want strength and light weight. They are very compatible. Boeing makes the 787 wing and fuselage out of carbon fiber. The wings allow for light weight flexibility and the fuselage is stiff and light weight. Sounds like parts of a bike to me.
With all due respect: Judging by your poast here, it appears you don't have a clue at the difference in how a CF bike is made vs how a CF aircraft part is made.

For example: Take a baseball bat to an F-15 nose cone, and then do the same thing to any top shelf CF bike frame and see what happens.

They are made completely different.

It's like comparing balsa wood to make a rear deck vs making it with redwood or teak. All three are wood, right?!!1!

·
Registered
45 Posts
With all due respect: Judging by your poast here, it appears you don't have a clue at the difference in how a CF bike is made vs how a CF aircraft part is made.

For example: Take a baseball bat to an F-15 nose cone, and then do the same thing to any top shelf CF bike frame and see what happens.

They are made completely different.

It's like comparing balsa wood to make a rear deck vs making it with redwood or teak. All three are wood, right?!!1!
With all due respect, I know the difference between bicycle design and aircraft design. I really think you are the one without a clue.

My original point is to refute the idea that carbon fiber is "throw away" as you say. That certainly sounds like what someone without a clue would say.

What is a better material to design strong light weight parts for modern bikes, aircraft and cars? It's not steel anymore.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
With all due respect, I know the difference between bicycle design and aircraft design. I really think you are the one without a clue.

My original point is to refute the idea that carbon fiber is "throw away" as you say. That certainly sounds like what someone without a clue would say.

What is a better material to design strong light weight parts for modern bikes, aircraft and cars? It's not steel anymore.
:lol: :lol: Keep talking.

Who said anything about design :confused: ??? I'm talking about manufacturing differences.

I gave an example of an F-15 nose cone and any top shelf CF bike frame. I'm waiting for your response if you know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Make no mistake; CF frame are what I call disposable frames. At best you'll get 10 years out of it. But more like 8 years. If you crash or your buddy or you leave the bike in a hot car, then the life span goes down from there.
Where do people come up with this stuff.
There is nothing about the passage of time that dooms a CF frame. And you certainly can't predict fatal crashes happen at the 8-10 year mark of a frame.

Seriously dude, WTF? If you want to link to some evidence that shows 8-10 years is how long carbon lasts we're all ears but until you show that you should stop talking nonsense.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Where do people come up with this stuff.
There is nothing about the passage of time that dooms a CF frame. And you certainly can't predict fatal crashes happen at the 8-10 year mark of a frame.

Seriously dude, WTF? If you want to link to some evidence that shows 8-10 years is how long carbon lasts we're all ears but until you show that you should stop talking nonsense.
How do you know it's nonsense :confused: ?!

Are you hiding evidence and not sharing? Show us what you know.

My first experience with CF started back in 1994. When I bought my C'Dale Super V1000. I wanted the Super V2000 with the CF swingarm but was too poor to afford the price difference. Fast forward 10 years. Those same CF swingarms are falling apart now mostly via the brake boss. Riders are applying the rear brakes and the brake boss are being torn out by the force.

There are many threads here in RBR that discuss the qualities and shortcomings of CF. There's a thread where members here have stated they have CF bikes that are 15 to 20 years old as well. There's also a thread where a member showed a pic of his 1972 CF bike.

The durability of a CF bike frame compared to steel and Ti is no contest. The member who owns the 1972 CF bike stated he won't ride said bike due to safety issue of aged CF material.

Yet there are steel bike frames made 60+ years ago that are still on the road.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
In mid 50's trading in my Lemond steel for carbon fiber. Deciding between colnago clk 3.0 and pinarello rokh. Any opinions on these 2 bikes?
I'd keep the steel bike and buy another bike.
Why trade it in?
If you are going to buy a carbon bike, I'd buy one with a lifetime warranty (but that's just me).

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I'm with cda 455.
The plane also comes with a comprehensive inspection/maintenance plan in order to keep it air worthy.
Don't get me wrong CF is a great material even in bikes but don't compare a CF bike to a CF plane part.

·
Registered
45 Posts
:lol: :lol: Keep talking.

Who said anything about design :confused: ??? I'm talking about manufacturing differences.

I gave an example of an F-15 nose cone and any top shelf CF bike frame. I'm waiting for your response if you know what you're talking about.
Look, you are doing a good job of making my point. What would you rather have... a bike made of the same material as a fighter jet, or a bike made of the same material as all the rusting cars in the junk yard?

I'm with cda 455.
The plane also comes with a comprehensive inspection/maintenance plan in order to keep it air worthy.
Don't get me wrong CF is a great material even in bikes but don't compare a CF bike to a CF plane part.
I'm not saying aircraft and bikes are made the same. I'm saying that carbon fiber is a very strong light weight material to build both aircraft and bicycles. cda 455 is saying that fighter jets are made with carbon fiber. He says you can take a sledge hammer to the nose of a fighter jet. A fighter jet only costs like 4000 to 5000 times as much. :rolleyes:

Bicycles are not designed to take a sledge hammer blow. Bikes are not designed to take much of a crash either.

Bicycles are designed and manufactured to be light, strong, offer ride comfort and be reasonably affordable. How many 15 lb steel bikes are there? I don't think you can get a titanium bike that light. If you could, do you not think its strength would suffer? Or have a very high cost? Pound for pound, carbon fiber is stronger than steel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.