Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a dilemma right now. I would like to get a new road bike but I would also like to get a cyclocross bike too, but the money won't allow me to get both. I was wondering if I could get a cyclocross bike and maybe another wheelset for the road and use it for both. Has anyone ever done this? Let me know yor ideas and suugestions about this. Thanks.

·
Hoopy Frood
706 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's quite a few people who do this. I'm one of them and I haven't found any drawbacks.

I have three sets of wheels and keep road tires on two of them in the offseason. My CX bike works great on the road and I've ridden centuries on it without any problems. If I'm going out with a fast group ride, I might swap chainrings as well but I normally just keep the 48/38 on even when riding in groups.

I think you'd only run into problems if you have a CX bike which is heavily designed for racing (for example, no water bottle mounts) or if you plan on racing crits. For general road riding, centuries, commuting, light touring, etc., a cross bike works great.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'd recommend the lemond pomprad.
it is designed to be a cross of a CX bike and a road bike. So it might fit your 'general' needs best. But test ride everything you can get your hot hands on. Go to races with a pedal wrench. Most people wouldn't you mind taking their rig for a test. Just don't break it! Also, at bike shops, have them throw on a road wheelset for you to see how it preforms.

just put a hold on a new Axis today. Getting new cranks on it first. Its 2 years old (2 years of shop shelf aging)

my old CX bike, a crosscheck was too big. now just to tell the lady i bough my second new bike of the season. Oh and honey, i also 'need' a dual suspension mtb...

·
tdiclub Member
417 Posts
I am actaully riding my colnago as a 'cross training bike, I installed a 52/39. When cross season rolls around, hmmm... go to get going I am heading out to Carbondale IL July 8....digressing I will toss on a 44, 46 or 48 and lower the front der.
keep the 12-25 cassette and swap tires or get a second wheelset. Look on ebay for cheap tubular wheelset, can be had for under $200/ sub 1600g. I picked up a record ambrosio chrono f20 32h/3x w/ dt rev for $200 the wheels are 1405g.
My road bike is a bit more comfortable on 3+ hour rides but thats just about it, no complaints. I would even bring it to a road race.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Took me awhile, but I finally tossed my extra road wheels on my Crosshairs a few days ago. MAN does that bike ride nicely as a road bike!

There are a few things to change to make it more like my S-Works: narrower bar and bigger rings, but other than that, its good to go!

I'm actually liking the ride so much, I may end up selling the S-Works! Space is at a premium 'cause I've got a somewhat mobile lifestyle these days. I figger a Crosshairs and 3 pairs of wheels and I'm good to go! (road/aero, cross, & training wheels)

HTH,

M

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.