Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use the Deda compact crank? If so, what do you think?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great Commute Crank

I have the Deda D Power 34/48 on my cyclocross commute bike. The chainstay is so beefy (EM2 tubing) clearance for the 36/50 was going to be an issue. I run a Campy Choros 12/25 rear derailleur, and because I have top tube cable routing I use a Shimano Deore front derailleur. Although the shifting is not quite as crisp as my 39/53 Choros set up on my road bike it works great. With the Deore / Choros set up I am able to trim my front derailleur if need be. No dropped chains as of yet. The 34/48 with the 12/25 gives me the same bottom two gears as my fromer 39/53 and 13/29 commute set up gave me. I got the Deda because I run "Italian" as much as I can and I wanted an ISIS bottom bracket (Deda titanium/carbon.) The Deda cranks are light, stiff and have a style of their own. A little different than the others. For commuting I love this set up. Except for red lights and steeper hills I never shift out of the 48. I also went with the 170mm crank arms and found I can spin better than with the 172.5mm arms. I was considering a 30/40/50 but after doing the gear inches math and calculating how many gears I would NOT be using and how many gears were duplicated I decided to go compact. Glad I did. However, for the shear joy of going as fast as you can on a lighter bike, there is nothing like a 39/53 with a 13/26. Of course, I am 60 years old so the the BoyRacers might have another opinion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.