Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am running a shallow drop newton handlebar and just love the thing, I can stay in the drops much longer,(although Im in much better shape this year) and I like the fact that it's not an anatomic bar but has a traditional bend.

The big reason i like the shallow drop bar is because I like to setup the bike with a lot of saddle to bar drop, so when Im on the hoods Im not sitting up in the air, but when i go to the drops the drop is much more shallow than a traditional bar. This gives me a low position whether on the hoods or in the drops. But everyone is different and most of the people I ride with think my way is kinda dumb, but they are not me, and most of them cant keep up with me either, so I dont really care.

In the end it's a very nice bar

·
naranjito
785 Posts
I recently changed from the newton anatomic to the belgian drop, and I prefer the curved bar. I was never totally comfortable in the drop part of the anatomic bar (the 'anatomic' part just seemed to have the wrong angle and left my hand a bit cramped). I prefer the shape of the belgian bar, and there's more room for my hands. It also has a nice flat transition from tops to campy hoods, which I like.

·
Registered
48 Posts
After using ITM Millenium with traditional bend for 6 years, I went with the Newton with the anatomic bend for my new ride, and I'm very happy with them. The Newtons are light (lighter than most carbon at a fraction of the price) and stiff. The anatomic bend is not very extreme and isn't all that different from the traditional. I've set them up with the bottom of the drops angled slightly downward and the transition from the tops to my Campy Ergo levers is nearly flat, which I really like. I don't think I'd like the shallow drop version, but obviously some do, so the Newtons offer a lot of options in a light stiff bar at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
642 Posts
wanna buy a pair

I hated the bars that came with my bike and I was always looking at getting something different. A pro bike fitter, who at the time, was busy with someone else, said that because of my size I should get a pair of Deda. He didn't say why or what style though and was off helping someone else before I could ask. I was thinking of getting the Belgium deep drops, but subsequent conversations with other sales people convinced me to get the Italian shallow drops. I shopped them pretty hard and after a particularly uncomfortable day on the bike, I threw in the towel and just bought them.

I had a hard time with them. The top of the bars, drop off quickly and my wrists were at an awkward angle and I felt like my hands were sliding down and jammed into the hoods. I must say though, I have a -17 degree stem and my bars are level with my saddle. If my bars were lower then my saddle, these bars may have been better for me. They’re still sitting in my basement waiting to go on ebay.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I tried the Newton Deda Shallows for a few months and found that they worked well with my Campag levers. My only complaint (which made me go back to my Bontrager VRs) was that the bend on the tops is a large radius which in effect made the bars feel a lot narrower when riding on the tops (not a problem when the hoods or the drops).

(and watch the size because it is outside to outside instead of center to center).

·
Registered
964 Posts
I like the Newton Shallow (or Italian) bend.

I find this shape works well with Ergopower levers. I like them set up with a three level approach. The fast drop-off of the radius allows me to put the levers lower than the tops. I find that with ergo bend bars the hoods are flat with the tops. This gives very little difference in the posture of the two positions and thus doesn't really give me to the opertunity to use different muscles.

Orignially I found that I could keep the tops higher and hoods about at the same place. This gives me a better relaxing position without sacraficing the aero advantage of the other. Since then I've dropped the bars lower and lower, but I still like the three options.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.