Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these stems still problematic? I know a lot of folks had issues stripping the bolts and cracking faceplates - has Deda ever resolved these problems? I ordered a new set of newton shallow bars and am wondering if the stem is worth the trouble...
tx

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I've been using Newton's on my old bike for 6 years. I think they had problems with their old models, face plate cracking and bolts stripping. It's been resolved. Be careful of over tightening, the design of the open face face clamp can eventually leave gouges in your bars. I have Magic bars and I'm now using a Ritchey WCS 4-Axis wet black.

You don't have to use a Deda stem. Just pay attention to the rise and stack height. Any stem will work...you could use a Magic stem, that's what the old Postal Team used for years..the Newton's are kinda pricey..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got one on my racing bike and never had any problems. I think I'd be right in saying that the harware is titanium. As I said in another thread, use a torque wrench. I've no doubt they quote torque figures - I just checked. Despite an awful website, they do specify 8 Nm for all bolts. That's not that much so I guess it explains the failures.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the feedback - i saw many posts on failure of the bolts but they all seemed fairly old so i wasn't sure if i should stay away or not. i think i may give it a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.