Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a new frame, the old one cracked, and I currently have all of my components off of my road bike. I want to clean everything really well, does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to clean the derailers I want to get them as clean as possible, what is the best way to clean them? Also are there any parts I should plan on replacing as regular maintenance, and wear and tear? I have cleaned the components on the bike before with varying degrees of success, but have never replaced anything. I have an ultegra rear and 105 front. Also is there any maintenance to be done on the shifters? I plan on replacing all of my cables and housing, the chain and cassette are fairly new and still in good condition so they will just get a good cleaning. Is there anything else I should look for?

thanks,

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
I use mineral spirits and a cheap paint brush on my bike and it gets the dirt and grease off and ready for a new coat of dirt and grease. I don't think there is much to turn up on the shifters other than it may be a good time to replace the brake/shifter and cable housings.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Mineral spirits are a good idea to get off dirt and gunk from mechanical parts. There is nothing that can be done with the shifters- shimano shifters a sealed unit. I would suggest giving the chain, chainrings and cassette a really good cleaning. I might even take the cassette apart and clean each ring and do the same with the crank.

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
jsedlak said:
If you've got aluminum showing and want to make it look really nice... I find mother's polish really does the trick. ..
Only if the aluminum is known to not to have a protective anodized layer or a clearcoat, else the polish will remove the protective layer, hastening the aluminum's deterioration.

Then, you will have to forever keep polishing the aluminum to keep it 'shiny', once the clearcoat/anodization is gone.

of course, if the aluminum parts are already turning 'white' or 'chalky', then the protective layer is already gone and aluminum polish, followed by a good paste or liquid cleaner-wax (meguiars, mothers, etc) is called for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.