Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, "defecting" is a little hyperbolic, but I do want to invert the relationship so that I'm spending more time here as a regular participant and contributor, and just bopping by to read over there occasionally-to-rarely.

Are there cultural differences in the subfora here as there are on BF? Do a lot of posters participate on both? How is moderation here and in comparison? That's the kind of stuff I'm wondering about, and which will, of course, reveal itself in time, but if there are any insights or tips anyone would like to share, please do; I'd be happy to hear them!

·
Registered
982 Posts
This thread needs to be moved to general cycling.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
RBR is like BF... Except with next to no daily traffic, site owners and admins who are never around, and lots of site bloat that no one wants... But there are fewer sub forums

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Killer stuff, guys.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Don't know much about BF. I find that RBR is very helpful and a lot of fun.

Spend most of my RBR time here in the Lounge talking about non-biking stuff, but love that I can bring up bikes and I don't get the thousand-yard-stare look or attitude.

People in RL (real life) humor me when I talk bikes, but sometimes I get the impression they think I'm a lunatic.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,128 Posts
I left BF and came here when BF got too noisy (for lack of a better word) for my taste. With all the people posting there, it seemed hard to have any kind of meaningful exchange lasting more than a few posts in any popular thread.

I prefer the smaller group of regular posters here.

Also, people here seem to be less likely to get uptight and angry about stuff. There's more sense of humor here, more appreciation for irony and sarcasm here.

And I like the "less moderation" approach here. At BF, I had posts deleted for what struck me as no reason I could discern -- no profanity, no personal info, no insults to other posters, no links to other web sites, no complaining about the moderation, etc.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Chaadster, stick around and you will find this place is ok. I don't post a lot but have enjoyed lurking and picking up to bits of knowledge here and there. Keep a sense of humor and a BS meter and I bet you will find it a pretty cool site.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
it's kind of a peculiar question. I don't know what any of us could say about the "culture" here that is more than you could learn by just reading some threads for a couple of weeks. So I'd say just dive in, read some long threads, and some short ones, and you'll know all there is to know.

I would say that the only sub-forum that has its own culture here is Politics Only. Some people post mostly there, some ONLY go there, and many of us never do. So it's a different mix from every place else on the forum.

The Lounge is a little distinctive, too, but not so much as PO.

Reactions: Eretz

·
Registered
478 Posts
In addition to all the great cycling advice, my girlfriend and I appreciate all the fellow swingers we've met here. So there's that.

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts
Totally, and I mean "Totally" turned off to the WORD, "Forever."

BF was all I could handle.

#grippingglassofburbon

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm active in both.

I like BF for its more refined sub forums, makes it easier to find info. on topics.

I like RBR for the people, but in truth you get to know and like certain users on both forums. I also subscribe to cyclingforum.com, which is very small and can go days without a post, but very knowledgable folks there, as well as my local mt. bike club forum. My attitude is the more forums the better as you can learn tons.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
I'm active in both.

I like BF for its more refined sub forums, makes it easier to find info. on topics.

I like RBR for the people, but in truth you get to know and like certain users on both forums. I also subscribe to cyclingforum.com, which is very small and can go days without a post, but very knowledgable folks there, as well as my local mt. bike club forum. My attitude is the more forums the better as you can learn tons.
BF has a ton more traffic...it also has admins and site owners that care and listen to poster's opinions, and are actually around.

RBR has become a ghost town over the years. Most of the people that made this place notable have left because the owners don't give a $hit. Spam bots taking over running unchecked, forum bloat galore, obnoxious ads....the people who own the domain did their best to piss off the community here and it worked.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts