Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 6 months ago I purchased a set of Michelin Pro 4 Course tires which I mounted in late November.

I recently noticed the side walls of the front tire were looking rather frayed and upon closer inspection I found the following!

Tires were purchased from a reputable online retailer and have about 700 miles on them.

Has anyone had similar issues w/their Michelin tires? I've ran Pro 4's before w/out problem, so this is a first for me.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I have had tires that look like that. I usually just keep riding them unless all those cords start getting cut.
If a bunch of those cords get caught in something and tear in the same area, I would be more concerned.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I got some orange PR3's that have gone a very similar way. The orange seemed improperly cured and sticky. It's just cosmetic though.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just riding them on the road or gravel too?
Just road. The rear tire, which was mounted at the same time looks intact.

At first I thought the issue was cosmetic but when I removed the tire I could see through the sidewalls...not sure I like that.

I may file a warranty request with the manufacturer...not gonna hold my breath on a positive resolution but I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Just road. The rear tire, which was mounted at the same time looks intact.

At first I thought the issue was cosmetic but when I removed the tire I could see through the sidewalls...not sure I like that.

I may file a warranty request with the manufacturer...not gonna hold my breath on a positive resolution but I'll give it a shot.
I would consider those tires defective. They look like they're 30 years old and have been left in a hot attic all that time.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
I would consider those tires defective. They look like they're 30 years old and have been left in a hot attic all that time.
I've been riding PR3 for a couple season now... my are all intact..... i agree with the above quote

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reviving an old thread, but I just had the same thing happen to brand new Pro 4 tires I installed on my bike this week...

How did you go about filing a warranty claim, and did they replace the tires?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.