Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when people say they have full shimano dura ace drive train..
does that mean everything..?
BB/crank/cassette/deraillers/chain?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Basically, yes. Wheels and tires, hubs, handlebars, seat, seat post, stem, etc. are not drivetrain. Shifters, derrailers,casette, cranks, and even the chain, could be considered drivetrain.

Todd

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I'd define it as crankset, f/r derailleurs, cassette and chain. Components that contribute to the drive mechanism of the bike.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
If it lists a Dura Ace drive train it should have all Dura Ace components. HOWEVER, a lot of times people do not consider the crankset to be a part of that and for whatever reason will come with Dura Ace everything else but the crank. Ask the seller the question. The crankset is the most expensive piece in the Dura Ace group FWIW.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
IMO drive train = everything that makes the bike move . Front & rear derailleurs, cranks, pedals, cassette, and chain are the basics. Although chains are certainly part of the running gear, I don't normally include them in the definition when I'm buying a bike. Chains are a relatively inexpensive wear item like tires, brake pads, and bar tape. Bikes are commonly sold without pedals, too. I don't include hubs, headset, brakes, etc.

This is my own personal opinion. If a seller says it has a Brand X drive train, check out exactly what that means. If it has a Brand Y gruppo, all of my definition should apply, but sometimes doesn't, especially the crank. Check it out before you buy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
When I hear or read FULL this or that, I take that as at LEAST derailers, cranks, shifters and brakes. I hate seeing "full Dura Ace" in the ad and finding Ultegra shifters and brakes.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
best=more $, lighter weight, shinier finish
the rest=less $, more weight, not a nicely finished.
w/ shimano, they all work well.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
jays35 said:
Is DurAce the best? Then Ultegra? What order are they listed by price?
DuraAce, Ultegra, 105, Tiagra, Sora

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Derailleurs maybe...

Mr. Versatile said:
IMO drive train = everything that makes the bike move . Front & rear derailleurs, cranks, pedals, cassette, and chain are the basics. Although chains are certainly part of the running gear, I don't normally include them in the definition when I'm buying a bike. Chains are a relatively inexpensive wear item like tires, brake pads, and bar tape. Bikes are commonly sold without pedals, too. I don't include hubs, headset, brakes, etc.

This is my own personal opinion. If a seller says it has a Brand X drive train, check out exactly what that means. If it has a Brand Y gruppo, all of my definition should apply, but sometimes doesn't, especially the crank. Check it out before you buy.
drs don't really make the bike move....they make it move faster or slower. Ask specifics - are the cranks DuraAce, is the rear dr dura ace, etc. etc....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
MCF said:
drs don't really make the bike move....they make it move faster or slower. Ask specifics - are the cranks DuraAce, is the rear dr dura ace, etc. etc....
I disagree. I think of derailleurs like the transmission on a car. Unless it's a fixie or single speed, IMO derailleurs are an integral and important part of the running gear.

What really frosts me is to see an ad for a bike that says full Campy gruppo. when you look at it closely you see an FSA crank, Mavic hubs, brand X seatpost, FSA bottom bracket. :mad: WTF?!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts