Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
swervy jervy
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the cool kids ~

I have a new Major One frame to build up. I never paid a great deal of attention to the following but ready to go full OCD.

The top tube housing guides are dead center. Is it pro to route the housing on the port or starboard side of the head tube to reach the cable hanger?

Same with rear hanger. Port of starboard side of the seatpost?

How about the brake barrel adjusters? Is it top cool to go same side with the barrels or swap, fore and aft? And which sides?

What's IN these days?

Thanks very much.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
the pope said:

I have a new Major One frame to build up. I never paid a great deal of attention to the following but ready to go full OCD.

The top tube housing guides are dead center. Is it pro to route the housing on the port or starboard side of the head tube to reach the cable hanger?

Same with rear hanger. Port of starboard side of the seatpost?

How about the brake barrel adjusters? Is it top cool to go same side with the barrels or swap, fore and aft? And which sides?

What's IN these days?

Thanks very much.

yes...........

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
the pope said:

You have to account for the Coriolis Effect, so it depends on which side of the equator you are racing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
the pope said:
Why for? Lack of room at the hanger?
I think it is to keep the cable tucked under the bars to prevent snagging. My Redline came with the front cable routed that way but I plan to go for an under the stem cable route when I switch to a fork mounted cable stop since it makes for a very sharp bend in the cable when I use the bar top brake levers.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Pros don 't use bar top brake levers. Just sayin. YMMV.:p

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
the pope said:
Why for? Lack of room at the hanger?
You get a rounder bend and a bit more housing to fiddle with when you route it over the stem and handlebar. Also, you can use an inline barrel adjuster with this setup, which means you don't have to use one on the cable hanger, which gives you more room between the stem and hanger.

With a fork-crown-mounted hanger you probably don't get any advantage from routing it this way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts